Novation Bass Station vs. Waldorf Pulse

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Novation Bass Station vs. Waldorf Pulse

Post by Z » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:59 am

A buddy and I are putting together a live new wave cover project and I'm looking for something to cover synth bass lines. Since this is for live and not recording, bone crushing Moog bass sounds aren't totally required, but I'd still like some umph. I've never had a Bass Station (other than one briefly to resell and didn't spend much time with it), but hope it will fit the bill since its size and price are attractive. I had a Pulse shortly in the late 90's and was impressed with it.

Anyone out there ever compare both at the same time or have and thoughts?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Novation Bass Station vs. Waldorf Pulse

Post by Solderman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:46 pm

My Bass Station Rack demo:
It never really does get that bright without alot of help from high resonance and high cutoff. The first sound in that clip shows it can get pretty bassy, but I never really thought of it as having much punch. I've never owned a Pulse, but based on what I've heard, it does bass well enough(although a bit harsh and stiff at full open cutoff), just that most people wished for a full array of knobs instead of the matrix.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm

anyone else have something to add on this? i was looking forward to the comparisons, as i'd love a good reason to pack in my bassstation for a pulse...IF it seems to make sense.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:58 am

I've owned both but not at the same time. The both have their pros and cons. The Waldorf is kinda specific sounding... it does it's thing and if you like that sound it is a very flexible mono for the money. I didn't find its general sound particularly appealing but that isn't to say you might.

The Bass Station (rack) seemed a bit more chameleon to me. It had more warmth and squelch to it, it's didn't exactly sound 303 but it could do an approximation and it could do some decent moogish sounds. Kinda vanilla in a good way. It's knobs are small but everything is there on the front panel. The rack also doubles as a decent midi to CV converter.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:33 pm

I always thought the Super Bass Station was better as it included the addition of a Sub-Osc, to give bass sounds more bottom end.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

mc202

Post by mc202 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:53 am

I'd go for the pulse. Seemed to have a much deeper sound. I had a super bass station and it had something about it that didn't seem as high quality as the pulse. I have a demo of the SuperBassStation on my blog (linked below). I was also very frustrated with various power problems with the Novation (seems to be common among their products of that error - lots of trial and error to get the proper power adapter that didn't cause weirdness from the synth).

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am

They both have their pros and cons. I've owned a Pulse Plus and have looked into the Bass Station. I think the con of the Pulse is it has mega bass and hard to mix possibly and also the Osc almost sound static or just really clean analog. It cuts really well and has very snappy envelopes. So if you can get it to mix, you're fine. The Bass Station has a 303 like syrupy vibe to it and I agree with Otto it can sound kinda vanilla, but it still tastes good. I'm not sure on the bass front of it, heard that it's not great for deep bass. But the leads and arps are quite cool. The bass Station is similar to other units out there, but the Pulse I think is completely different. I didn't find it similar to anything I've used. There was something about the sound for me though, that sounded clinical and a little too mechanical somehow. Both are fine synths though.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

guru

Post by guru » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 am

I own both the Super Bass Station (SBS) and the Waldorf Pulse (v2.01). It's hard to go wrong with these two synths, they both have great analogue sound. I will cut straight to it, the Pulse is has more flexibility but it is harder to control. The SBS has less flexibility but is easier to control. The matrix control panel of the Pulse is simply annoying, I suggest using an external midi controller such as the Behringer BCR2000 to remove this annoyance. The SBS control panel is comparatively more usable than the native Pulse interface. The Pulse sound is amazing, 3 oscillators and a filter featuring control for velocity sensitivity which is not offered on the SBS. SBS has 2 Oscillators and a Sub-Oscillator, which makes the SBS get low and growl. There are significantly more routing options on the Pulse and the Arpeggiator is more fully featured too. My bottom line is that I find the SBS more restricted due to fewer routing possibilities BUT it sounds good and also offers external input which I have had some limited success with. The Pulse is less restricted and in my opinion opens more possibilities but does not have external input. Which one to buy? If you can't make up your mind, get them both, they play well together.

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:34 am

what up with the bass station 2 vs the pulse 2 ??? :D

I own a bs2 and for the size and cost it's one super bad a*s synth. maybe you might consider getting one of the #2's, heh.

Syn-Fi

Post by Syn-Fi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:10 am

I actually really like the Matrix control on the Pulse 2 as it neatly compartmentalises various functions and the unit is so compact. if you have a Waldorf XT (I have an XTK) all the controls are mapped without any intervention. Also there is a really cool standalone controller for the Pulse 2, which is now part of Monstrum.

i hope they release an onboard compressor when they finally release the 'fx board' for the Pulse 2.
Gear List:
(1) Waldorf Q Yellow
(2) Waldorf Xtk
(3) Waldorf Pulse 2
(4) PPG Wave
(5) Oto Biscuit
(6) E-Mu E4XT & RFX32

Retired:
Access Virus Ti2 Polar
V-Synth
Ensoniq Fizmo
Ensoniq ESQ-M
Oberheim Matrix 1000
Waldorf Q+ (why, oh why?)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:47 am

guru wrote:I suggest using an external midi controller such as the Behringer BCR2000 to remove this annoyance. The SBS control panel is comparatively more usable than the native Pulse interface.
I own both synths (Pulse+, BS rack) and using the X-station as a controller, which works well with the three oscillators structure of the Pulse and it also came with a BS template.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums