Dx7 VS ESQ-1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
User avatar
ensoniqphreak
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:56 am
Real name: Spencer
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by ensoniqphreak » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Obveously I do love the ESQ-1. It was my first *real* synthesizer. It does indeed have a more approachable and warm sound that the DX7 but I dont necessarily think that it is a better synth. They are different, yes, but there is enough overlap there (the ESQ can do a damn convincing DX7 rhodes, for instance, or an organ sound that seems FM generated when I hear it) to compare them--we just have to be honest about where the differences are. Still finding the DX7 to be the better synth. Perhaps because I--for some odd reason--am LOVING editing this thing. I guess I love a challange? The UI isent that wonderful. Has anyone ever wondered if Yamaha just came up with this facinating new form of synthesis and never bothered--or dident have time before the ship date-- to implement it in a user friendly way?
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

User avatar
projectwoofer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:13 pm
Band: Woofer
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact:

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by projectwoofer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:45 pm

ensoniqphreak wrote:I--for some odd reason--am LOVING editing this thing.
+1 on that!
ensoniqphreak wrote:The UI isent that wonderful. Has anyone ever wondered if Yamaha just came up with this facinating new form of synthesis and never bothered--or dident have time before the ship date-- to implement it in a user friendly way?
I guess that's why there are some really nice software editors for the DX synths these days! ;)
http://www.myspace.com/woofergr
http://www.jumpingfish.gr/Woofer

Casio VZ-10M, Commodore 64 & MSSIAH, Dave Smith Tetra, Kawai K5000R, Korg X5, Roland D-550, Roland JD-990 (w/Vintage Synth card), Waldorf Miniworks 4pole, Yamaha TX7

User avatar
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:04 am
Gear: Check my sig
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:12 am

ensoniqphreak wrote:The ESQ, for all its warmness has a very unfocused sound--espeically on pads. The DX7 in comparison, sounds both *bigger* and clearer. Its pads are more alive than the ESQ, and can be even warmer with some solid tweaking and alot of patience. The DX7 kills--nay rapes murders and leaves it to bleed out in the gutter--the ESQ for Strings and Brass and Electric Pianos (duah).
You really think so? I'm not so sure.

Check out some of these sounds and let me know if you still feel the same way. :)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildpaws
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 am
Real name: Clyde
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by wildpaws » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 am

ensoniqphreak wrote:Obveously I do love the ESQ-1. It was my first *real* synthesizer. It does indeed have a more approachable and warm sound that the DX7 but I dont necessarily think that it is a better synth. They are different, yes, but there is enough overlap there (the ESQ can do a damn convincing DX7 rhodes, for instance, or an organ sound that seems FM generated when I hear it) to compare them--we just have to be honest about where the differences are. Still finding the DX7 to be the better synth. Perhaps because I--for some odd reason--am LOVING editing this thing. I guess I love a challange? The UI isent that wonderful. Has anyone ever wondered if Yamaha just came up with this facinating new form of synthesis and never bothered--or dident have time before the ship date-- to implement it in a user friendly way?
Well, if that was the case, they must have run out of time before the ship date of the DX7II series as well!! All that aside, the DX7 (both MkI and II series) is capable of much more than many people realize, I glad I honed my FM editing skills on a DX7IIFD and was able to apply that knowledge to my SY77 when I got it.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

User avatar
ensoniqphreak
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:56 am
Real name: Spencer
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by ensoniqphreak » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:59 am

Jambo,

thats just linking me to the soundcloud homepage... could you embed the files in a post? I have programmed the S&*t out of the ESQ and would be psyched to hear any patch that I *havent* already gotten at least in the ballpark of.
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

User avatar
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:04 am
Gear: Check my sig
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 pm

ensoniqphreak wrote:Jambo,

thats just linking me to the soundcloud homepage... could you embed the files in a post? I have programmed the S&*t out of the ESQ and would be psyched to hear any patch that I *havent* already gotten at least in the ballpark of.
My bad! I didn't use the correct link. :oops:

It's fixed now, so you should be able to hear it on Soundcloud. Most of the patches sound nice to me but are quite basic, so you may not find anything you haven't heard before.

User avatar
ensoniqphreak
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:56 am
Real name: Spencer
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by ensoniqphreak » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:19 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
ensoniqphreak wrote:Jambo,

thats just linking me to the soundcloud homepage... could you embed the files in a post? I have programmed the S&*t out of the ESQ and would be psyched to hear any patch that I *havent* already gotten at least in the ballpark of.
My bad! I didn't use the correct link. :oops:

It's fixed now, so you should be able to hear it on Soundcloud. Most of the patches sound nice to me but are quite basic, so you may not find anything you haven't heard before.
GREAT programming Jambo. :headbang: Good use of the ESQ-1's filters. The *low end* of those sounds is wonderful, however, I still feel that the DX7 has a better top end and thusly can pull off those crystalline pads and strings with a little more pizzaz. The ESQ just sounds a bit flat on the top end--its strengths lie in the mid and low range. And believe me or not, but I have been programming some truly *astounding* pads on the DX7 already. Its really not that difficult to program. If you can do simple linear algebra (basic rational functions like you did in pre-calc) --you need only read like half of an online tutorial on FM--and then its just a matter of getting over the DX7's quirky interface and your on your way to programming unreal sounds. And this is coming from a tried and true academic humanities guy--maths are not my strong suit at all. So if I can do it, why does everyone complain about the UI to no end? Whiners and poor programmers is my guess. :mrgreen:
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

GameChanger
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am
Gear: MPC60

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by GameChanger » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:49 pm

DX-7s were so huge because they had a great sharp digital sounds for organs, electric piano, etc... So it no doubt it will sound much more high quality for those types of sounds then the esq-1. But FM sounds can be found in alot of places/synthes & the interface on the DX-7 is horrible to program (people like quick results & easy to find parameters) & the sound has been heard Sooooo Much. So my vote goes to the ESQ-1. Like I said in another post, its extremely underrated and it has its own sound. You cant find the ESQ/SQ80 sound in any new synths. When in alot of new synths you can easily get a DX7 sounds. So for me, quick programibilty, orginal sound, and features all go to the ESQ-1. Just get a outboard effects processor and I truley believe you can do anything with one.

DX7 Strengths: Clean/Sharp, Digital, Organs, Electric Pianos.
ESQ-1 Strengths: Gritty/Organic, Original Sound, Analog Filters, Bells, Pads, Leads.

wildpaws
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 am
Real name: Clyde
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by wildpaws » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 pm

GameChanger wrote:DX-7s were so huge because they had a great sharp digital sounds for organs, electric piano, etc... So it no doubt it will sound much more high quality for those types of sounds then the esq-1. But FM sounds can be found in alot of places/synthes & the interface on the DX-7 is horrible to program (people like quick results & easy to find parameters) & the sound has been heard Sooooo Much. So my vote goes to the ESQ-1. Like I said in another post, its extremely underrated and it has its own sound. You cant find the ESQ/SQ80 sound in any new synths. When in alot of new synths you can easily get a DX7 sounds. So for me, quick programibilty, orginal sound, and features all go to the ESQ-1. Just get a outboard effects processor and I truley believe you can do anything with one.

DX7 Strengths: Clean/Sharp, Digital, Organs, Electric Pianos.
ESQ-1 Strengths: Gritty/Organic, Original Sound, Analog Filters, Bells, Pads, Leads.
Never really played/programmed an ESQ-1 so I can't comment about that. I can add some comments about the DX7 as I have had plenty of experience with them. I think most people find the DX7 hard to program because it can be very in depth and most are not willing to take the time to learn and understand FM programming or the DX7. Most people rely on the very well known DX7 sounds (such as EP sounds) to make their judgements about what a DX7 is capable of doing, there is so much more it can do than the factory patches or the well known patches show. And if you think the DX7 is limited, that is your choice and I respect that. My own experience tells me differently about what a DX7 can and cannot do.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

GameChanger
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 am
Gear: MPC60

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by GameChanger » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:37 pm

^^^ Thats the great thing about synths, is that you can dive into them and make sounds that you wouldn't expect. I think my issue is the time it takes to program the dx7. It just make it not an enjoyable experience for me. I definitly think its in the hands of the programer and awesome stuff can be made with anything, but the DX's character is just much more digital and easier find on other synths then the ESQ-1.

User avatar
ensoniqphreak
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:56 am
Real name: Spencer
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives
Location: Greensboro, NC
Contact:

Re: Dx7 VS ESQ-1

Post by ensoniqphreak » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:24 pm

GameChanger wrote:^^^ Thats the great thing about synths, is that you can dive into them and make sounds that you wouldn't expect. I think my issue is the time it takes to program the dx7. It just make it not an enjoyable experience for me. I definitly think its in the hands of the programer and awesome stuff can be made with anything, but the DX's character is just much more digital and easier find on other synths then the ESQ-1.
While I agree that the overall charecter of the DX7 is more digital, and that the ESQ is impossible to recreate, I have as of yet been unable to recreate the DX sound on any other synth with FM implementation. Even on the micron which has a decent FM engine built in. There is something crunchy, organic, and lo-fi about the DX that just cant be found anywhere else. Even on the Mark II.
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

Post Reply