Poll: Who's the best synth manufacturer.

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Who's the best synth manufacturer?

Alesis
2%
ARP
3%
Korg
19%
Kurzweil
3%
Moog
20%
Oberheim
7%
Roland
20%
Sequential Circuits
8%
Waldorf
6%
Yamaha
13%

Total votes: 251

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Poll: Who's the best synth manufacturer.

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 am

anoteoftruth wrote:
Seriously Korg? Sure they had some wicked synths back in the day... but when was the last good synth they came out with?

The monotron is sure to be a hit! :lol: no, seriously, I question their stance on the "same analog filter as on the MS-20" for only $60? Far fetched. I also agree on korg products becoming less useful. I had a microkorg; while it could produce some nice sounds, the small keys and limited polyphony were just a killer. I happily sold it for double what I paid.

I definitely think there needs to be a set on time period, because Roland is somewhat of a joke now- in comparison to what they made in seventies and eighties anyway.

Sequential Circuits/Dave Smith Instruments has been a nearly consistent manufacturer of excellent products. Albeit a few of the boards they made in the mid eighties (single DCO/VCO's) were too thin for me, it's great that he is producing synthesizers in the spirit of the classic gear, but not just remaking them and reissuing them. The wonders and greatness of a small company! I can't wait to get my MoPho and see if the circuit boards still say Pro One II =D
bonne chance

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm

If I had to vote for just one, or could only own synths from one manufacturer, it would be Yamaha. Yamaha has easily made more models of synth that I like than any other company. Also, they have made fewer synths I wasn't fond of than their competitors.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:13 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Seriously Korg? Sure they had some wicked synths back in the day... but when was the last good synth they came out with?
Ahem. The microKORG/MS2000? The R3/RADIAS? The OASYS?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 am

braincandy wrote:
anoteoftruth wrote:I wish to god Roland would pick up there socks and start re-producing their old gear again.
We've been over this a hundred times. Not going to happen.
Why cant' we make this a banable offense, I'm not kidding. Also wheres clavia nord in this list?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:01 am

Native Instruments
Yamaha
Novation/Focusrite

Some not on the list? Blame the list! :lol:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:Seriously Korg? Sure they had some wicked synths back in the day... but when was the last good synth they came out with?
Ahem. The microKORG/MS2000? The R3/RADIAS? The OASYS?

Well, I was actually quoting someone else and not necessarily agreeing. The MicroKorg like I said is great, I just can't use the small keys. The MS2000 is the same engine, but I'm still turned off by the limited polyphony. I've only played the other ones you mentioned for a short time and will not judge either way.
bonne chance

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Roland really need to start making products for actual professionals again and stop f**k around with all this consumer orientated s**t.
+1

Thanks for voting everyone. Surprising results to me, but that's where the fun is on this site.

I think Yamaha builds the most consistently pro gear; if you've ever dismantled a SY99 to get at the EL backlight you'll know what I'm saying. They've got the bucks behind them and the engineering shows.

I like vintage Roland gear. It sounds good, it's reasonably easy to use, and gives consistent performance.

Just bought a T8. Will see where that leads, but the key action is velvety smooth, like the backside of a rabbit ear, down at the bottom where it meets the head, according to my wife (a pianist).

Not sure what she meant by that, and not sure I want to know anymore about it.

Cheers!

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Wed May 12, 2010 1:03 am

Clavier wrote:If I had to vote for just one, or could only own synths from one manufacturer, it would be Yamaha. Yamaha has easily made more models of synth that I like than any other company. Also, they have made fewer synths I wasn't fond of than their competitors.
+1.

But, since we could vote for more than one, I voted for Moog too. :D

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 am

Best:
Yamaha
Roland
Native Instruments

worst:
E-mu
Ensoniq
Yamaha

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:56 am

Ensoniq among the *worst*?
compared to whom?

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 am

How come Oberheim has only 7 votes? Everytime an Obie is for sale there is hysteria.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 am

For me the best is always the old Waldorf (before the bankruptcy). They always releasing new OS regularly for free during the uWaveXT glory day. Not just for fixing bugs but also to maximize the synth engine. They even exclusively produced great quality albums using mostly Waldorf Gears which are still my favorite albums to listen. The people are very friendly and communicative (Joerg Huettner, Tsching even Wolfram Franke himself), as well as the people in the humble forum. In fact I still get a very nice support from Echo, a nice person from the current Waldorf.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 pm

I think roland has the most varied analog-synth history: From Sysyem-700, 303, Jupiter-8, vp-330, Junos and their fantastic drummaschines. And they still have the manuals for download :-)

Moog is NOt a one hit wonder company. They are the synthcompany number one and deserves lojalty to the death.

Thirdly I pict Korg, but perhaps should have voted Oberheim...
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 pm

JJQ wrote:I think roland has the most varied analog-synth history: From Sysyem-700, 303, Jupiter-8, vp-330, Junos and their fantastic drummaschines. And they still have the manuals for download :-)

Moog is NOt a one hit wonder company. They are the synthcompany number one and deserves lojalty to the death.

Thirdly I pict Korg, but perhaps should have voted Oberheim...
Roland is the number one to me, no doubt. Oberheim for the sound and variety; from quirky monos to the fattest polyanalogs ever. Sequential a close third, mainly because I own their three most successfulls outings and they are the main part of my sound!

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon May 24, 2010 7:07 pm

If I had to stick to what's on the list I would have to go with Roland. They may be a big time rut right now, but they have produced some of the best synths I have ever heard.

Also, they are not on the list, but I really like most of the Novation products as well as Nord. Again, why were these not on the list?