Korg: Radias vs MS2000

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Mo
Gear: Radias, ESX, EMX, MS2000, EA-1, Poly-800, Juno-106, Jupiter-6, MC-09, DX5, Monomachine, SQ80, CZ5000, VL-tone, midiNES
Band: hobbyist/procrastinator

Korg: Radias vs MS2000

Post by Mo » Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 pm

I have a Korg Radias and I find it does everything my MS2000 does and more. Is there any reason I should keep my MS2000 rather than sell it?
--------
-If you have to be on the cutting edge, expect to bleed.-

aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: Korg Radias/Access Virus C/
Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2
Band: Hobbyist

Re: Korg: Radias vs MS2000

Post by aphlux » Tue May 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Even though this should be in the synth shootouts section =]

I also own both, and believe it or not I still keep the MS2000 around. Its a reliable synth, and considering its fairly cheap, I dont see a point in selling it for a couple hundred. I'll just hand it down to my kids or something haha.

But you're right, the Radias does pretty much everything the MS does. Have you seen the Radias 3? I like to pair both of mine together for good pads and leads, and ever since I got the MD the drums are taken care of. Still not to fond of these for bass sounds though.

Mo
Gear: Radias, ESX, EMX, MS2000, EA-1, Poly-800, Juno-106, Jupiter-6, MC-09, DX5, Monomachine, SQ80, CZ5000, VL-tone, midiNES

Post by Mo » Tue May 25, 2010 10:42 pm

Oop! Didn't realize there was a shootout section! Hence the Newbie status... live and learn :?

I thought there might be some unique territory the MS covered that I might have been missing out on.

Radias 3? You mean the R3 right? I was looking at getting one of those around the same time I was looking at the Radias... but I like knobs, and knobs a'plenty! :D

I could never figure out why the R3 didn't supplant the MicroKorg, and now we even have the MicroKorg XL. There must be something special about those little beasties that their newer more powerful brethren cannot capture. I mean, just because the Radias/R3 are more powerful does not mean they are incapable of making the same sounds.

I wonder what makes the MS2000/MicroKorg resilient despite the Radias/R3.
--------

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed May 26, 2010 12:06 am

The R3 didn't really succeed because it wasn't called MicroKorg, so they put it's sound engine in a smaller form and called it the MicroKorg XL - shame because I greatly prefer the interface to either MicroKorgs, not to mention actually having full-size keys while still being pretty portable (albeit not battery powered, part of the MK's draw).

On topic, as I understand it, the MS2000/original MicroKorg/Electribe A have one synthesis engine, and the Radias/R3/MKXL have another, (even though some MS2000 banks are available for the Radias) - but I'm not sure about that. If you find you use both differently, you could say both are worth having.

Also, atom made a VST/standalone controller for the MS2000 (details of the project here: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53461 ) so if you do computer stuff it won't totally get outclassed by the Radias editor.

Honestly in your position I'd probably sell the MS2000 and put it towards something a little different like one of the newer analog monosynths (Mopho, Neptune II, something MFB, FR Revo, x0xb0x) or a Blofeld or something. What other gear do you have?

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 am

OT...
Hair wrote:MS2000/original MicroKorg/Electribe A have one synthesis engine

In my experience, as a user, I didn't find the EA had much of anything in common with the relatively deep synthesis engine of the MS2000/MicroKorg. Do they really have comparable sound generating tekmologys inside?

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed May 26, 2010 3:21 am

prinsen wrote:OT...

In my experience, as a user, I didn't find the EA had much of anything in common with the relatively deep synthesis engine of the MS2000/MicroKorg. Do they really have comparable sound generating tekmologys inside?
I've read (I think on this forum actually) that the EA-1's synth engine is more like the Korg Prophecy, or at least a part of it.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 am

Do not let go of the MS2000. I kind of see it as a big turning point for Korg and a really important design that bridged the gap between old and new. The Radias is modeled after the MS2000 for a very good reason. It's because the MS2000 was so good. If it's in good shape, just put it in a safe corner and just keep an eye on it.

I think the price you'll get for it won't be anything compared to its real value. And years from now everyone will look at all the first generation 'retro' synths and it will be the hottest s**t (not that that's the reason why you should keep it). It's just a beautiful thing.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 am

For what it's worth the sound is somewhat different, the radias engine sounds more fluid/smooth/rounded, the MS2000 engine has this more kind of buzzy raw sound to it.. its not much of a difference, but it is there

aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2

Post by aphlux » Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 am

No Mo, not the R3.

DO a youtube video search for Radias 3, its a custom job where a guy took three radias racks and hooked them up together to custom midi controllers. Its pretty awesome.

Mo

Post by Mo » Wed May 26, 2010 5:31 am

Hmm. I think very few analog modeling synths ever stand the test to become "classics" (aside from a couple big hitters and and small oddities), and it's not something I really get hung up on. If I had a MicroKorg I'd probably keep it simply because of it's cult status (and it uses batteries too, right? that'd be handy), but since it's an MS2000 (not even an MS2000B with the nice gooseneck) I'll probably sell it. Korg offered the entire 2000 and 2000B sound libraries for the Radias library editor and I was able to recreate all the sounds I wanted to keep from my 2000 (helped me learn the Radias rather than messing with a mididump). I can't tell the two apart, although I never did a thorough side by side comparison.

Yeah, RD9, the price I'll get for it will be borderline rubbish. I think it'll come down to how much books are this coming semester!

Hair, my synths are a good cross-section of the spectrum (I hate posting lists... it makes me feel like a D-bag :? I'll update my profile with the list), but the one thing I don't have is a dedicated analog monosynth, but that'll run me more than what I'll get for the MS2000, and I don't know how important it is to my setup. But if I want a full toolbelt, I'll need one.
--------

Mo

Post by Mo » Wed May 26, 2010 5:37 am

Radias x 3 ?!

No man should have that much power!

but I couldn't find the video :cry:
--------

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed May 26, 2010 5:53 am

Yeah when it comes down to it, whether or not you need a mono (or something else or nothing at all) is your call, but to play devil's advocate - it does look like the price MS2000s are going easily gets you into Mopho territory, or a lot of the fun stuff MFB is coming out with this year, and even close to the Neptune II, but if you want something with keys and knobs seems like there isn't really anything close to the MS2000 except other VAs (Novation? Alesis Ion?)

Edit: unless you start to think vintage, maybe a lesser Yamaha CS, MG-1, SH-101 or something.. :?

Also, I agree with cartesia on the difference between engines, it's a matter of preference. I personally never was in love with the MS2000/MK from my experience, but the cleanliness of the Radias/R3 seems to give it a lot of punch imo. Not really "vintage" sounding or anything but it's definitely enjoyable as it's own thing, especially for the price R3s go for lately.
monolith wrote:
prinsen wrote:OT...

I've read (I think on this forum actually) that the EA-1's synth engine is more like the Korg Prophecy, or at least a part of it.
I might've gotten my lines crossed there, let's see if googling can help..

-Prophecy uses MOSS
-I did find one uncitated post on another board that says the EA-1 uses the same engine as the Prophecy but nothing else, much less conclusive
-MS2000 had a special engine made for it (See the post in this thread quoting korgforums member Plosive: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... ?t=2611896 ), same engine is in the original MK
-Radias/R3/MKXL/EMX all use MMT synthesis

Even if the EA-1 does have MOSS synthesis, it's parameters are quite limited, especially in the EG department, so it's hardly a poor man's Prophecy (not that Prophecys are all that expensive), all the fun is in the sequencer anyway :lol:

aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by aphlux » Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 am

Here you go Mo:

Sorry about that, it was roman numeral III.

Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Post by Doooooooom » Wed May 26, 2010 3:18 pm

I personally think Korg has gone in the wrong direction with the styling and casings of their current products, they've gone into a strange place. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.

mute

Post by mute » Wed May 26, 2010 3:26 pm

I find them to be entirely different synths but with similar control surfaces and looks... but that's it. Soundwise, the Radias can do pretty much all the sounds the MS2000 can except the DWGS wave sequencing and the Knarly wannabe MS20 bass, but it can get close enough while the MS2000 is much more limited and pointedly aimed at specific use/sounds.

In short.. the MS2K was based the looks and limitations of the Mono/Poly (korgs 4 poly/voice approach.. inbetween a mono and poly, with switchable modes), an "ok" MS20 emulation, decent modular patching and, basic vocoder (VC-10), 3 track mod seq (SQ-10), and the DW-8000. In turn it is aimed pretty specifically at retro leads and knarly bass sounds (though it can also make some really smooth evo pads). While on the other side the Radias is an all-in-wonder that is basically a super-uber-duper-polyphonic keyboard version of an Electribe. It's like a V/A workstation melded with groovebox features..

As for the EA-1... although it was based on the same tech as the MS2k/MicroKorg, it came earlier and does not sound anything like the MS2k/MK (maybe you are thinking of the EMX-1). The filter is the most obvious difference. On the MS2k/MK the filter is much more... erm.. rough, for lack of a better word (and I mean that in a positive sense). I own a couple electribes and I find the filter resonance on them basically useless where on the MS2k I love it and it screams like it should and is also really good @ rubberband/elastic type resonance on bass which you don't usually hear on a V/A... but I'm getting off topic.

If I bought a Radias I would keep my MS2000, its a much more simple approach and a more limited synth which makes it easier to use for a specific role where as the Radias wears multiple hats and is the center of production. Not only that but you can do some crazy things with the odd/even voice linking between both units... could be quite fun to use them together.
Last edited by mute on Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.