Korg: Radias vs MS2000

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
RD9

Re: Korg: Radias vs MS2000

Post by RD9 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Doooooooom wrote:I personally think Korg has gone in the wrong direction with the styling and casings of their current products, they've gone into a strange place. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.
You're totally on point on this. Korg's new designs are kind of all over the place. At least DSI, Access, and Clavia have a clear identity as far as the enclosures/interfaces are concerned. Korg is aesthetically just a mess right now. Maybe it's a result of being such a big and old company. Who knows. And maybe Roland too.

This is what I really like about the MS2000. Apart from sonic discussions about what sounds better or worse or the same or not, a very big factor is the design of the interface and enclosure itself. At least there is some design continuity between the MS2000 and the Radias.

I really like what they did in the Radias as far as the feature innovations are concerned, but the keyboard frame? Ugh.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu May 27, 2010 3:17 am

^ +!

The microkorg XL - at first I thought it looked really cool.. but then it has this like molded black plastic tray sticking out around the bit that looks good.. WTF? .. then there's the washing-machine-like microsampler

Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Post by Doooooooom » Thu May 27, 2010 9:19 am

Well I wasn't going to say in case anyone was offended, but now you come to mention it: That skirt thing around the base of the XL is pretty stupid looking.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu May 27, 2010 5:15 pm

cartesia wrote:^ +!
washing-machine-like microsampler
NAIL ON THE HEAD

I couldn't place what it reminded me of, but now I know. Thanks. :lol:

RD9

Post by RD9 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Hahaha

And call me anal, but I think all this extra "design" around the edges of synths is just gratuitous and a waste of extrusion and manufacturing effort. I like synths with just plain boxy perimeters so it doesn't interfere with all my other c**p. Rounded bulbous edges, weird non-right angles, bubble designs, or any other odd shapes are just annoying. It either just takes up extra space, keeps you from putting anything on top of it, or collects grime. Sometimes I feel that some of the industrial designers they hire to do the enclosures don't even own synths.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:27 am

We have an R3, an EMX-1, and a MS2000 (and soon a RADIAS module for me M3) and i find the MS2000 engine to be... grungier when using the same settings as the R3, even when looking at the MS2000 patches that were converted over to the R3.

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm

When I played with a Radias, I found I couldn't get it to do wavesequencing. Am I right or did I miss something?
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Andy_X69 wrote:When I played with a Radias, I found I couldn't get it to do wavesequencing. Am I right or did I miss something?
radias has the DWGS like ms2000 does, right?
if so, then you can use one of the modsequencers to control the osc parameter that selects the different DWGS waves. set a different value per-step and... viola, you have sequenced waves. the rest is up to you...
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Andy_X69 wrote:When I played with a Radias, I found I couldn't get it to do wavesequencing. Am I right or did I miss something?
wile it doesn't have a wavestation emulator mode afaik, i thought of something you could try. first open up the radias sound editor and start a new patch(or if you really want you can use the init patches and the little screen, it's just easier to try out new techniques on the editor). then, turn all 4 parts on, and assign your favorite pcm sounds to all of the slots. you should be able to use the step sequencers and mod sequencers to tell the radias when you want each of the sounds to trigger and for some perameter edits. at this point you can use the envelopes and all of the other automated modulation options to fine tune the wave sequence, raising the attack on the first trigger but lowering it on the second, things like that. i'm sure there are some other solutions, but this is what i've been doing. :)

shaft9000 wrote:
if so, then you can use one of the modsequencers to control the osc parameter that selects the different DWGS waves. set a different value per-step and... viola, you have sequenced waves. the rest is up to you...
you beat me to it!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 am

shaft9000 wrote:
That's what I did with the one I was playing with at the store. And the tone remained static.

EDIT: Just read the Radias manual. Apparently you CAN get the modulation sequencer to modulate Osc 1 Control 2 when Osc 1 is in SynthPCM mode. So I stand corrected; Radias can do wavesequencing.

So I probably made a mistake when playing around with it in the store.

I was wondering... the Korg Monotron shows Korg can produce analog filters at low costs. The Radias is very low on grit and aggro... perhaps Radias 2 will have one or two of the Monotron's analog filters whacked into it (or at least addable via an expansion board)? And possibly incorporate an Electribe-style tube distortion circuit? If they did that, I'd have a monumental GAS attack.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

xesevolcisum

Post by xesevolcisum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 am

If ur looking to sell the MS2000,Im looking to buy one.

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi,
digging up this thread for my first post here.
Currently I have an ms2000r which I use live - controlled by a moog little phatty, mostly for layered sounds on top of the moog bass (strings in the background, arps etc etc). Im quite fond of it, I've got some fairly elaborate moving mutating patches programmed in for the noise/metal band I play in.

However, lately i've been jamming on some down tempo electronica sort of sounds in my spare time, and am finding programming percussion on the ms2000 fairly tedious..but I see that the Korg radias has inbuilt step sequencers (heaps more voices too!) so i've been contemplating upgrading. Does anyone have any experience programming percussion on the radias? I dig anolog synth percussion sounds over samples..

Something else i love on the ms2000 is how you can layer 2 presets on one (in exchange for reduced polyphony), I assume you can do that on the radias also? Would I be correct in also assuming I could re-create my ms2000 patches fairly accurately in the radias?

If not the radias, is there another module unit you might recommend?

cheers!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I'd recommend a waldorf blofeld over having both an ms2000 and a radias.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:37 am

lazerface wrote: Something else i love on the ms2000 is how you can layer 2 presets on one (in exchange for reduced polyphony), I assume you can do that on the radias also? Would I be correct in also assuming I could re-create my ms2000 patches fairly accurately in the radias?

If not the radias, is there another module unit you might recommend?

cheers!
To do this on the RADIAS you just set two patches to the same MIDI channel, iirc

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 am

lazerface wrote:Does anyone have any experience programming percussion on the radias?
the radias is excelent for percussion: it has a nice bank of drum sounds that you can sequence in a number of different ways including playing the keys, using the mod sequencers, and the step sequencers. you can have one part (of 4) as the dedicated drum track where sounds are mapped to the keys. you can also choose a single sound and transpose that sound and modulate the knob to bring other drum sounds in. you can process the drum sounds through the radias's filters, effects, etc. and of course if your skilled enough, you can create your own sounds using it's synth engine. i prefer using the grain shifter effect with rhythms- it adds a nice glitchy dimention to them, and you can even half the tempo thrown on a delay and dub out with simultaneous knob turn and button press!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...