MonoPoly vs Prophet 600

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
stevebirss
Gear: G5 Powermac
Cubase 4
Korg Legacy
EW Bosendorfer 290
SS Atmosphere
NI Komplete
uTonic
Moog LP Stage
Prophet 600
Rhodes 73 Mk I
Yamaha CP70
Band: Stars From Streetlights

MonoPoly vs Prophet 600

Post by stevebirss » Fri May 28, 2010 1:50 am

I am looking to get a good analog poly synth to round out my collection. Currently I have a Little Phatty for my analog fx and mono synth duties, a Rhodes, a Juno 106 and a whole bunch of software synths for digital duties. I make alot of different genres from Ambient and Down Tempo to Indie Synth Pop to Hip Hop and Electronica. I am going to get rid of my Juno 106 because I'm not entirely happy with it. What I really want is something that can do really wicked leads as well as really decent analog strings and pads. I have never used a Prophet 5 or Pro One, but I have heard bands use them and I really like the sound they can come up with. I have also used a Prophet 08 briefly in a music store. So I know that I totally love the SCI/Dave Smith sound for leads. Also have the Korg Legacy Collection with the MonoPoly, which I also like.
Has anyone out there used both synths and have an opinion on the matter. They seem to be about the same price, they are both VCO and not DCO. One has 4 voices, one has 6. What's better?
Thanks.
- steve

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Re: MonoPoly vs Prophet 600

Post by moremagic » Fri May 28, 2010 3:08 am

The Mono/Poly isnt actually a polyphonic synth, it's only got one filter and one vca which are shared by all 4 oscs. It's more of a lead synth with a splash of polyphony.

The Propeht 600, OTOH, is fully polyphonic and MIDI-controllable, and is much more of a pad machine.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Fri May 28, 2010 4:06 am

^^^ Everything he said.

For a dedicated (only?) poly you'd be better with the prophet, but the limitations of the M/P make for some interesting sounds. I like how setting the oscillators to different octaves results in interesting/random chord voicings.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri May 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Yes, I have nothing bad to say about the Mono/Poly and as a matter of fact I'm lookin for one myself. But since you are looking for a polysynth for pads and such, 2 VCOs per voice on a 6 voice synth will meet your needs much better than 4 VCOs total on a synth thats ultimately more mono than poly.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat May 29, 2010 4:41 am

stevebirss wrote:What I really want is something that can do really wicked leads as well as really decent analog strings and pads
To concur with the others, Prophet 600. Simple. Dual VCO polysynth for under $1K (!), much of the Prophet 5 (same CEM VCOs) in a smaller and more affordable package. Tremendous value for money. Strings and pads are a natural strength (they're on the darker side; contrast Juno 106 pads, which I find light and bouncy); put it in unison mode, and you'll have screaming leads that cut through the mix like a chainsaw. Envelopes are a bit slow (so not ideal for high BPM bass lines), and there is audible stepping on the filter when manually changing cutoff (but just use LFO for that: smooth as smooth can be). But the SOUND is the real deal: vintage, warm, sizzling, DARK (very nice for ambient).

I traded mine for a Pro-One, but I liked it so much, I'm thinking of picking up another...

stevebirss
Gear: G5 Powermac
Cubase 4
Korg Legacy
EW Bosendorfer 290
SS Atmosphere
NI Komplete
uTonic
Moog LP Stage
Prophet 600
Rhodes 73 Mk I
Yamaha CP70
Band: Stars From Streetlights

Post by stevebirss » Sat May 29, 2010 6:15 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It sounds pretty much that I have my answer. I appreciate it. I will keep my eyes open for deals on Prophet 600's now.

synthnoob
Gear: TR-909,TR-606, SH-101, Microkorg, a couple guitars, a bass and a s**t load of fuzz pedals

Post by synthnoob » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:34 am

I was in the same exact position you were in last year, same two synths. I ended up goin with the MP, thinking that I might be able to get away with the polyphony of the MP for what I was looking for (which is what your looking for) and it didnt get me any where close to what I wanted. But, the MP did blow me away. It is a bad a*s machine. You could mess around with that thing for years and dig out new sounds out of it. I ended up selling it to fund an MS-20 and as much as I love the MS, the MP is just sick. If you can afford it (If we could all just afford it) grab both. The MP is an amazing synth