Roland SH-32 Vs. Novation Nova - Which one do you prefer?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Key-Narr

Roland SH-32 Vs. Novation Nova - Which one do you prefer?

Post by Key-Narr » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:42 am

Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity for an exchange. Trading my Roland SH-32 for a Novation Nova (desktop).

Now, I am very satisfied with my SH-32. Killer basslines, acid sounds, Superb LFO's , snappy enveloppes...

I know the Novation Nova is quite mythical and the SH-32 is so criminally underrated, maybe due to his acneic groovebox / Fischer Price toy face. But the sounds are amazing.

I was not convinced at all with the Nova demos I found on the Net, while the SH-32 demos gave it proper justice.

So now, I don't know what to do: Shall I trade my SH-32 for a Novation Nova?

I make electronic music, tribe, drum'n bass, dubstep, and a little bit of electro / indus too.

For those who know both synths, which one do you prefer ?
Is the Nova able to make killer bass sounds ?

Thanks to all

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: Roland SH-32 Vs. Novation Nova - Which one do you prefer

Post by cartesia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:57 am

The SH-32 has a kind of dirty roughness to its sound..

besides that one thing, the nova all the way.. 6 part multitimbral, built in effects for each part, heaps more complex synth engine.. (the latest OS update even includes a multiple detuned saw waveform type.

it really depends what kinda sounds you like.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 am

i would recommend the nova. it is a great cheapy! it's definitely very capable in the sound effects, textures, pads and chords department. having 6 multitimbral parts with effects for each is really handy for live playing. it has a smooth tone i would say overall, but can get pretty gnarly if you push it right. positive and negative modulation is also a plus for sound design, but that means you have a fairly limited range in each direction (+- 64 steps).
vocoder sounds nice, and the arpeggiator is flexible if that's your thing.

that said, i have never been satisfied with the bass sounds that i get out of it. they sound ok in isolation but with other synths in the mix the basses get lost. it can do some ok sub bass stuff and one of the preset bass sounds is quite reminiscent of mr fingers, which i think is cool!
to put it context, i never have problem getting a suitable bass tone that works in a mix from my monomachine or my nord modular g1, dx synths and needless to say my 101. this could be a problem for you.
some others may have different experiences though.

unfortunately i haven't got any experience with sh32, it sounds interesting if a little quirky. i have never liked roland's post 80's gear (the vsynth looks cool though) but i find the novation stuff has a good quality sound (in most areas).

mmmm, no definite answers, but maybe that helps...

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 am

Key-Narr wrote:Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity for an exchange. Trading my Roland SH-32 for a Novation Nova (desktop).

Now, I am very satisfied with my SH-32. Killer basslines, acid sounds, Superb LFO's , snappy enveloppes...

I know the Novation Nova is quite mythical and the SH-32 is so criminally underrated, maybe due to his acneic groovebox / Fischer Price toy face. But the sounds are amazing.

I was not convinced at all with the Nova demos I found on the Net, while the SH-32 demos gave it proper justice.

So now, I don't know what to do: Shall I trade my SH-32 for a Novation Nova?

I make electronic music, tribe, .

For those who know both synths, which one do you prefer ?
Is the Nova able to make killer bass sounds ?

Thanks to all

The Nova could have some cleaner bass lines then your sh 32.I prefer the sh 32 myself it can be very dirty.Both can do acid sounds but I think the sh 32 is better for " drum'n bass, dubstep, and a little bit of electro / indus too " the music you are making.The effects are good on the sh32 as you know and it has alot of them.I would keep your sh 32 and add another synth box or drum machine to compliment the sh 32 then trade it for nova.Thats what I would do if i was in this situation
edfunction wrote: vocoder sounds nice, and the arpeggiator is flexible if that's your thing quote]

I think the vocoder on the nova is not very good at all

yuck

Granted I have heard decient vocoder work with a super nova ll but im 100% sure it was due to outboard effects to sounds good.Thats the case with alot of added vocoders to synth .
Living the Electro Life

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 pm

For the record, That's a really s**t video.. and not representative of what the nova's vocoder can do.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:06 pm

yeah each to their own and all that. but that video is not a very good indication of the vocoder.
i'm pretty amazed at some of the things people put on youtube as showcases for synths, but anyway.

i've found it fine, but don't use it very often myself.
i mention it more due to the fact that it's a nice bonus, i'd say that the multi-fx for each part are a more serious bonus though! i doubt the vocoder is the critical issue for the OP.

i guess if you're really happy with sh32 maybe it's best to hold on to it, and if you can wangle it, somehow buy the nova and sell it on if you don't like it. they don't seem to go for much so it's not a huge outlay...

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 pm

I personally like the Nova better. However, the SH-32 does have a good "dirty" sound to it. If you like that kind of sound, I would stick to the SH-32. The Nova has really good pads, and I would agree with what was said earlier that it has a really "smooth" sound. The 2 synths excel at different things. If you want "dirty" stick to what you got...if you want "smooth" get the Nova. But in my opinion, I would just save a little money and buy the Nova to add to you setup. :D

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:21 am

I have a SH32 and KS-5. I think they are kind of opposites for VA flavors. I actually find the SH32 very pop and dance oriented. I find the Novation products like this too, but in a different way. I think the Novation is better suited for spacey trance and the like. This is all based on tone alone. Both are capable of anything, but I find myself leaning towards these areas when I use each. I also find that the Novation can get really cool far out sounds I would have never thought possible. But the SH32 has some fun stuff up it's sleeve.

I think the Nova is a better synth though than the SH32.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse