Swap SH-101 for SH-2 ??

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Swap SH-101 for SH-2 ??

Post by Scories » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:35 am

I really like my SH-101, but I'm also tempted by the SH-2. I don't think I would like to have both as I prefer to keep a minimal setup. Overall, the SH2 seems to be a complete synth with more flexibility (esp. in the osclillator section) and a nice bassy sound.

I will tell you what I like about the 101 and maybe you could tell me if I will be able to find it with the SH-2:

The 101 has a wide sweet spot, a nice tone Boards-of-Canada tone and a thundering Walter Carlos type of bass [wihout resonnance]. I also really like its noise-LFO which is a quite unusual feature. Strangely, the 101 always reacts in a very good way with additionnal filters and other effects (not so sure about the sh-2). And most of all, it can always be used for trippy and psychedelic music. Overall, it's a limited but very musical synth.

Do you think I would loose most of these features with the SH-2 ??
I'd just be happy if the SH-2 could be like the 101 with more oscillator/detune options.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Swap SH-101 for SH-2 ??

Post by monolith » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:13 am

I've got both and like the SH-101 a LOT more. Like you said it has very wide sweet spot, i think it sounds great all the time. There are a few times where I marvel at how fat the SH-2 sounds with the filter wide open and no resonance, but apart from that very little about it inspires me musically. With resonance I find it gets too thin and weedy.
If you dig making trippy/psychedlic music (i do too) I think the SH-101 is far better for that. Sure, the SH-2 has that more distinctly '70's discrete sound, but I love how rich with harmonics the 101's resonance can be - it can sometimes sound like there is a lot more going on than what actually is.

If I had to sell one of my synths, the SH-2 would be the first to go. The SH-101 would be last. The scale being most inspiring stays and least inspiring goes.

I'd wager that i'm in the minority preferring the 101, but I simply find it more inspiring. Plus it has the awesome sequencer. Even using the CSQ-600 sequencer with the sh-2 doesnt bring it close to the 101.

Your best bet is to play around with the SH-2 before you decide, it's all very subjective and the SH-2 may very well be closer to the sound you hear in your head. It sounds like you're really happy with your 101 so i'd stick with it. Also if you dig that drifty/kind of out of tune/boards of canada sound than I think there's nothing better than the 101's noise modulating pitch.

Your decision.. best of luck! :D

Scories

Post by Scories » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:28 am

Thanks a lot for the elaborate answer. I am also amazed by the thundering non-resonnant sh-2 bass, but the other sounds did not impressed me as much. And the 101 can also sound quite thundering too in some cases.

Seems like we're on the same wavelenght about synths! Maybe you're helping me to avoid doing something stupid.
The sad thing about the 101 is that we whish we could get multiples octaves and wavelenghts in this machine; It would be so swell.

I can see you also have a SH-2000. I just love my SH-1000 sound. I might have kept the impression that with Roland, the older is the better. Obviously that's not your opinion about the sh-2.

What's your 2nd favorite trippy synth?? I'm planning to get a SEM. I could also opt for a MS-20..

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 am

Scories wrote:Thanks a lot for the elaborate answer. I am also amazed by the thundering non-resonnant sh-2 bass, but the other sounds did not impressed me as much. And the 101 can also sound quite thundering too in some cases.

Seems like we're on the same wavelenght about synths! Maybe you're helping me to avoid doing something stupid.
The sad thing about the 101 is that we whish we could get multiples octaves and wavelenghts in this machine; It would be so swell.

I can see you also have a SH-2000. I just love my SH-1000 sound. I might have kept the impression that with Roland, the older is the better. Obviously that's not your opinion about the sh-2.

What's your 2nd favorite trippy synth?? I'm planning to get a SEM. I could also opt for a MS-20..
No worries.. Like I said though, I think i'm in the minority preferring the 101. The SEM looks great, and I've always wanted an MS-20 - it will be the next big purchase i'll make.
As for my next favourite trippy synth, it's probably the Mono/Poly, it excels at making great sounds and textures. I'll PM you an example.
The CS-5 actually rates very highly for me too, though the filter doesnt self oscillate it has a multimode filter and an LFO that goes into the FM range. I've pulled some awesome sounds out of that. I'd read a lot of reviews saying its a very boring synth, but I think it's amazing and not boring at all.

alspacka

Post by alspacka » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:50 pm

I would never get rid of my 101. can be used for anything, and the sequencer is awesome.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 pm

I had a SH-2 and i really didn't get into it. I will never sell my 101 though it's great.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:49 pm

I had them both. I found the 101 a bit boring, but the sub-basses of the sh2 is still something I have a sweet memory of... Mmmmm!

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 pm

That was my set-up yesterday evening for a Nu-Jazz Session. Even with a Minimoog (in bad shape...), the SH-2 still has his place, and i was using it more than the Mini. Sounds totally different too...

It's so fast to prepare a sound, modify the paramaters. Yes, i'm loving the SH-2 !
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Nice setup. Are you mostly using it for the funky lines, the dry bass or something else ??

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Funky lines...the portamento is really nice on the SH-2, and the filter sounds very "liquid". For basses, i prefer the Moog...it has a little bit more "body", more fat than the SH-2.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.