Korg Polysix vs. Roland Juno 106

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
smisk

Korg Polysix vs. Roland Juno 106

Post by smisk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi afficionados,

I've been following the threads on this forum for quite a while and now I really need your input.

I've just purchased my first hardware synth - a Moog Little Phatty Stage 2, however, I have yet to receive it.

Now, I've been offered a Korg Polysix in perfect working condition, though the battery have never been replaced, for approx. 873€/$1073USD and a Korg Juno 106 with a bad chip for 336€/$413USD.

Which would you recommed that I buy? I just have to add that in my country, the price of vintage synths are probably a bit higher, as there are not as many available.

Kind regards.

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Re: Korg Polysix vs. Roland Juno 106

Post by Electroluver » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:25 pm

smisk wrote:
Now, I've been offered a Korg Polysix in perfect working condition, though the battery have never been replaced, for approx. 873€/$1073USD and a Korg Juno 106 with a bad chip for 336€/$413USD.
IMHO< I think the Juno 106 is the better deal.
Juno 106
Pro: Midi, Excellent Bass, Strings, FX, Filter, and Chorus.
Con: Defective Chips, Pads, DCO (some say they are better)
Polysix
Pro: Arpeggio, Pads, Strings, FX, Knobs, VCO, Wood, and Modulation.
Con: No Midi (retrofit available) Battery.

Paying $1000+ for a Polysix is too much. You can easily fix the Juno 106 and $413 is a good deal too.
Good luck.

smisk

Post by smisk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Thank you so much for your input, Electroluver. It is really appreciated.

I guess I'm leaning towards the 106 then :)

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Polysix prices have shot up recently and they sell around 5 to 600 euros here.

I would still check the battery and change it straight away.

Although fiddling around replacing chips on the 106 is not fun either.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:56 pm

The Polysix is a much more interesting instrument IMO, but I'd have to be really loaded to think its worth twice as much as the Juno. As long as the Polysix is working and the battery hasnt leaked, it might be a better buy if theres much more wrong with the Juno. I'd see if you can talk them down on the price of the Korg and check that the one chip is the only problem with the Juno.

smisk

Post by smisk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Thank you all for your input.

Even though I haven't played or heard either the Juno or the Polysix in real life, I also prefer the Polysix after watching some Youtube clips and the fact that it is analog. However, I feel the price is too high and I've found a guy who can replace the chip on the Juno for about $110, so I think I'll go for it :)

Now I'm just curious to hear how the Juno fits with the Little Phatty..

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:56 pm

I've played with both and I would say Polysix. It's just a cooler synth all-around. If the battery hasn't leaked, you can replace the battery and you'll be good for a long time. If you replace the faulty chip in the 106, chances are another will fail soon afterward. There are 6 of them and the older they get the more prone they are to failing. There are clone chips and an acetone treatment for repairing the originals but that gets to be a lot more work than changing a battery in a Polysix.

If you need MIDI, you can get a retrofit kit for the Polysix too.

Just make sure the Polysix is working properly and the battery hasn't leaked. Once it leaks, it wrecks the board traces and chips near it, and that gets to be an expensive repair. But like I said, once it's fixed and a new battery is put in, it'll be good for a long time.

See if you can talk the price down on the Polysix though. That seems a bit steep. It'll be more than the Juno but not that much.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

smisk

Post by smisk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Synthaholic wrote:I've played with both and I would say Polysix. It's just a cooler synth all-around. If the battery hasn't leaked, you can replace the battery and you'll be good for a long time. If you replace the faulty chip in the 106, chances are another will fail soon afterward. There are 6 of them and the older they get the more prone they are to failing. There are clone chips and an acetone treatment for repairing the originals but that gets to be a lot more work than changing a battery in a Polysix.

If you need MIDI, you can get a retrofit kit for the Polysix too.

Just make sure the Polysix is working properly and the battery hasn't leaked. Once it leaks, it wrecks the board traces and chips near it, and that gets to be an expensive repair. But like I said, once it's fixed and a new battery is put in, it'll be good for a long time.

See if you can talk the price down on the Polysix though. That seems a bit steep. It'll be more than the Juno but not that much.
The Polysix that is available for me to purchase is in mint condition and with the original battery - though it hasn't leaked .. yet. I think it that is why he wants so much. Personally, I feel like its too much for a synth - eventhough it is vintage. I don't think I can negotiate the price down to less than $800USD. Would you pay that for a Polysix?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 am

I wouldnt. especially not with the original battery in it. I paid 400 CHF for mine (ca 366$), + an acetone organ :lol:.

As for the comparison, I had not much (but at least some) experience with a Juno 106, and I must say it DOES really sound different than the 60, of course the 60 is way cooler ;) That said, I like my Juno 60 a lot more than the P6, it sounds kinda "cheap", cant really describe it. Could be all the old opamps in there though, I dont know. Replacing them would not be the worst idea.

smisk

Post by smisk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 pm

I've not managed to bargain a price reduction on the Polysix and the Juno 106. I can by either for §590USD/€470 - the Polysix has a working battery (which I should replace) and the Juno has all its voice-chips intact - for now.

What do you think? Is the Polysix that much worth?

Otherwise, I think I'll save up for a Prophet '08.

Cheers.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:49 pm

I'd say they're both worth about that. Depends also a little on where you are.

Keep in mind though that with both you'll have some repair upcoming soon - with the P6 replace the battery as soon as possible (and I really mean it!), and the juno voice chips are almost bound to fail (clones aren't exactly cheap either!).

Personally, I might grab the P6 for that price, if I didn't have one already (though it is considerably more than I paid myself). For junos I'd wait for a 60. And you can get a P08 anytime later (hopefully...)

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 pm

pflosi wrote:Personally, I might grab the P6 for that price, if I didn't have one already (though it is considerably more than I paid myself). For junos I'd wait for a 60. And you can get a P08 anytime later (hopefully...)
This.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Thats a fine price if the condition on the Polysix is good. Thats not even 100usd more than I paid for mine after repairs. I'd go ahead and get it because it has such wonderful VCOs -- they stay in nearly perfect tune, and the nearly is just enough to enjoy their being analog without needing to worry about it. If you can live without MIDI on it, go for it. Or think about a kit really, really hard. :D

smisk

Post by smisk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:39 pm

moremagic wrote:Thats a fine price if the condition on the Polysix is good. Thats not even 100usd more than I paid for mine after repairs. I'd go ahead and get it because it has such wonderful VCOs -- they stay in nearly perfect tune, and the nearly is just enough to enjoy their being analog without needing to worry about it. If you can live without MIDI on it, go for it. Or think about a kit really, really hard. :D
It is in mint condition - or so the seller says. He has even made Youtube video to demonstrate its condition:

The lack of MIDI is a complication for me, as I'm not very confident in just playing a synth and recording, since I have no training. So, I'm really considering a re-fit with a MIDI-kit. However, I'm not sure about the cost of this.

But thank you all for your valuable input. It is much appreciated!

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 pm

I can't tell if all of the filter chips work or not, sometimes they do fail but they are not unobtainable. I got a great deal on mine a year ago, had to do some light work on it like battery modification and repaint key contacts with conductive paint. Mine had all voices and filters working, a friend of mine got one with two bad filter chips but his was way more beat up than mine. Still, it's a good deal for a great classic synth and you should get it while you have the chance to grab one or you will regret it later down the road.

I love SSM filters. Very liquid and extremely musical resonance. That combined with those nice VCOs... Korg did good on this one big time. MIDI retrofit kits are not expensive and easy to install so you can do that whenever. In the meantime you can sync the arppegiator to your DAW if you have something with a clock out. I do it with my super bass station but you might be able to feed it an audio click to step it, haven't tried that method though.

Now, go get that thing! Good links:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... epair.html
http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=4&lngid=en