Korg Polysix vs. Roland Juno 106

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Re: Korg Polysix vs. Roland Juno 106

Post by moremagic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Also you might not need a midi retrofit. Theres an Arpeggiator Trig in, so you could just get a basic midi to CV/Gate that gives you a gate out. Thatd keep you on the beat and all that, while really letting you explore it. Arpeggiators are really fun live, naturally

smisk

Post by smisk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:04 pm

I think I'll go with the Polysix and then replace the battery and maybe af MIDI retro-fit.

Thank you all for your time and attention!

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 pm

I've have a Juno-106 since the late 90s.
I had the dreaded chips fail on me last year and I got them replaced.
I wouldn't try to change them myself, so I shipped it to the UK to be done.
$110 seems ok for fitting the chips, it cost me around €200 as I had to ship it to the UK to be done!
However I'd hesitate on buying it one unless I knew the seller well.
There may be more wrong with it.

The Polysix sounds expensive, there have been a few on ebay (in the EU) over the last year, around the €650 mark. So I'd hesitate there too. I'm taking it you're not totally loaded, otherwise you'd just buy both!!

If it was me, I'd buy neither and hold out for a Juno-106 in working order, preferably with new chips, or a cheaper polysix. For €873 you'd nearly get a used prophet 08 rack (you also mentioned it), that's worth looking at too. You could also get a JX-8P or JX-3P in PWO for around €300. You'd have a nice 80s poly-synth and cash to put towards something else at a later stage.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:36 pm

if you can, take a look inside the polysix & make sure the battery hasn't already leaked. i have both a 106 and a polysix, switching out the chips on a 106 is fairly easy long as you know how to solder & desolder. switching out the battery on a polysix is pretty easy too, but switching out damaged chips in that is a b***h. 's why mine's been sitting aside for quite a while. removal was one thing, replacement's something i'm going to have to take its main board to someone better w/ electronics who can either clean it out better than i can or can patch the replacements to the circuit path correctly.

edit: oh also i think that's a very fair price for a 106 w/ just one bad chip & too high a price for a polysix even if it's already had its battery replaced & is AOK. just my take, not necessarily the current market's.

smisk

Post by smisk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:28 pm

space6oy wrote:if you can, take a look inside the polysix & make sure the battery hasn't already leaked. i have both a 106 and a polysix, switching out the chips on a 106 is fairly easy long as you know how to solder & desolder. switching out the battery on a polysix is pretty easy too, but switching out damaged chips in that is a b***h. 's why mine's been sitting aside for quite a while. removal was one thing, replacement's something i'm going to have to take its main board to someone better w/ electronics who can either clean it out better than i can or can patch the replacements to the circuit path correctly.

edit: oh also i think that's a very fair price for a 106 w/ just one bad chip & too high a price for a polysix even if it's already had its battery replaced & is AOK. just my take, not necessarily the current market's.
I really have no experience with soldering. But a guy called Gotherman, who has also made the deMOON and Anamono, can replace the battery of the Polysix for about $100USD - the same price as a replacement of the voice-chips in the Juno 106. Though, all chips are functioning in the Juno 106 I have been offered. So, I guess you'd go for the Juno, as it has all chips functioning :)

Good grief - this is sooo hard! ;)

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:35 pm

smisk wrote:Korg Juno 106 with a bad chip for 336€/$413USD.
you said in the first post that it had one bad chip... (& that it was korg instead of roland ;))

if they're all working then that price for a 106 is a great deal, and you can get the chips for less than $100, i've let some extras go for around $60, think that was the most i could get for them.

another $100 for someone else to switch out the battery makes the polysix even more overpriced IMO. if you do go for that though, regardless of no experience soldering, try to open it up (which is simple, just remove screws) and look at the main circuit board w/ the battery & make sure it hasn't already leaked & damaged other components. it's pretty easy to spot, makes things look crusty.

smisk

Post by smisk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:52 pm

That's well spotted, my friend :)

As you can probably tell, I'm actually a newb when it comes to hardware synths.

The first Juno 106 I found had a bad chip, but then I was offered another with all chips functioning for the amount of $590USD - the same as the Polysix.

I'll go take a look at the Polysix in the weekend to see if the battery hasn't leaked. Thanks for the description, space6oy :)

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm

smisk wrote:Korg Polysix in perfect working condition, though the battery have never been replaced, for approx. 873€/$1073USD
ok, so now the price is down to $593 for either a fully working polysix or a fully working 106? if so fair price for the 106, great price for the polysix...

you're pretty confusing, smisk. :geek:

smisk

Post by smisk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Yeah - I managed to squize the price down on both of them to about $593USD - and they are both functioning, at least that is what I'm told. Of course I'll have to see it for my self :)

Sorry 'bout the confusion - I confuse myself as well ;)

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:37 pm

it's cool man. good luck w/ whichever you decide to go for!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:15 am

if you are going to pay for battery swap (or repair) it may be worth waiting for a cheaper one. Though that's entirely at your risk (and sometimes they can be badly damaged and you'll want a new board).

Both of my P6s (Currently have two) i got cheap due to a battery fault, luckily only 3 traces were damaged and one very cheap chip - £3 repair later (I do my own repairs though) and I had a fully working Polysix :) Now with the prices going up i'm tempted to sell it (as I don't want too many synths at once) but, I really like playing around with it - the controls feel so smooth and I prefer knobs to sliders.

The Keybed is a little cheap feeling (i'm sure the Roland would feel more solid, if it's anything like the other rolands i own(ed) including a Juno 6) but the rest of it is solid and well built, as I said the knobs in particular are nice to use and feel very solid and slick.

I wouldn't buy a polysix unless it had it's battery swap done and working 100% *OR* if original battery, PHOTOS of all the 367 circuit board to see if potential damage is waiting to strike (unless dirt cheap and worth the risk as mine was)
Last edited by Pro5 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 am

Careful w/ the Polysix, I've owned 3- the amount of times its taken to get a fully functioning one( it was worth it).

Definitely inspect the pcb, the unfortunate thing is the top could still look fine yet all the corrosion will be on the bottom of the board which isn't visible.

Things to look for:
-On power up, only 1 bank letter and 1 patch number led should light up- if multiple patch #'s are showing, it has leaked.
-Test the sub-osc, this is also commonly affected.
-Try multiple patches- if they all sound the same, beware.
-If cold, it will be out of tune for a few seconds on power up, if it takes more than 10-20 seconds something could have leaked.
-Try saving a patch; make sure your in write mode, you'll know if the battery still works- if it's leaked it wont save.

Looking at the vid, it does seem o.k.- just a dreadful patch. :?

Between the P6 and the Juno106; I've owned both, the P6 has an warm organic quality and is more versatile.
I ended up selling the 106 because I was worried about the chips, I don't really miss the sound of it per say, more the simple interface and programmable joystick. Well that, and the fact that it's really really hard to make a bad patch. :P
In the future I plan on getting the 60, you get VCO's and stability- why worry?
If I personally had to chose one or the other- it's the P6 no question about it.
sell me your KS5!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:31 am

VCOs on a JU60?

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:06 am

My bad. :P
Lapse, sounds warmer > assume VCO, should know better....

OT- It's been a while since I've looked in around here, has there been any insight into its architecture revealing why it sounds more substantial than the 106?
sell me your KS5!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 am

Analog Envelopes, Envelope PWM, bass boost with HPF all the way down

And chips that last :lol: