ProMars VS SH5

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
philip

ProMars VS SH5

Post by philip » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:23 pm

How much they are diffrent? I can afford only one of them? Could SH5 substitute Promars in some or every way?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: ProMars VS SH5

Post by Z » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:34 pm

I have both and both are quite different.

If I had to choose one, it'd be the SH-5. I'm a sucker for multi-band filters. It's layout take a little getting used to, but after about 10 minutes you get the hang of it and it's a lot of fun. In addtion to the multi-band filter, there is a band pass filter which each oscillator, noise gen, ring mod & ext in can be run through individually or simultaneously (selected in mixer section). One drawback of the BPF is that it cannot be modulated by LFO or EG.

To me, the MRS-2 is basically a SH-2 with patch memory & 2nd EG. There are other differences, but both synths are similar in my opinion.

YOu'll probably spennd twice as much to acquire a SH-5 than a MRS-2.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 am

A very brief demonstration of the SH5's filtering capabilities:

The thing is fookin' huge, physically. Oscillators have decent thickness, especially with VCO-1 PWM detuned from VCO2. It has some decent modulation options, but not nearly as good as the SH7. I thought the ringmod and sync on it were a bit lame, myself. Two envelopes but one is AR only. It's all about parallel bandpass filtering with that beast, for me.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:24 am

Damn, Zane - that's like the 3rd or 4th demo of my synths in the past couple of days! I think you've speant more time with my synths than I have :) It's all good, glad they're getting some use. I just wish we'd video'd them while you were recording your demos.

You didn't happen to record my ProMars?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:29 am

I didn't get to the MRS-2 because I kept running out of time and it wasn't high on the list. I therefore don't have much else to contribute for this particular thread.

Making videos would just be a disappointment, because I post quick cuts from much longer sessions mostly full of fumbling c**p. And the SH5 demo above, for instance, is just filter effects. Like any other synth, it can do alot more.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:31 am

sh5 is way better and more expensive too... weakest link is that the envs aren't snappy
for sale/trade: EML-101

philip

Post by philip » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Ok, I wonna make it clearer, I do need synth with the great modulation capibilitys, that can covers the full spectrum of FX needs and maybe some leads and basses, but I can take only one synth and It's not about money,it's about space.
I need the best in that category, so you are saying that SH7 is better,why is that??? There are not that many demos of SH5 in internet, but what Ive seen are pretty good. Maybe you boys could reccomend me some groups/music where i can listen SH\Promars in mix

P/s-My music is much like TD sounding.

Stalfosia
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: :)

Post by Stalfosia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 pm

you can hear the SH-5 in these two tracks of mine.
It's the main, centered synth on both...

http://music.rusuden.com/track/lazy-tongue

http://music.rusuden.com/track/nevergreen

also...
on this track, the SH-5 hops around the tb303 around the middle of the song:
http://music.rusuden.com/track/600-summers

Sorry I don't have any recordings with a ProMars. :-/

justin

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:27 pm

philip wrote:Ok, I wonna make it clearer, I do need synth with the great modulation capibilitys, that can covers the full spectrum of FX needs and maybe some leads and basses, but I can take only one synth and It's not about money,it's about space.
I need the best in that category,

P/s-My music is much like TD sounding.
ARP 2600

or patch-point modded Odyssey.

Those will be much closer to classic TD sound than any Roland, and offer far far more FX possibilities than SH-5 or 7. All you're giving up is the bandpass filter, as a 2600 has a the inverter for turning lowpass to highpass.
a 2600 w/ pre-lawsuit filter, mated to the newer 2601-style keyboard will cover all classic Moog and Arp synth sounds(or you can mod the old one like I did for on-board vibrato LFO. it also helps a lot to mod the portamento for exponential response)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

philip

Post by philip » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Thank u all friends, I went for the Aelita in the end. I also will trying to find 2600 around here where I live.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Never played the ProMars, but the SH-5 has a very fat sound!