Kurzweil K2000VP vs Ensoniq TS 10

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
xesevolcisum

Kurzweil K2000VP vs Ensoniq TS 10

Post by xesevolcisum » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:35 pm

New to this forum,new to synths aswell,i am a guitar player but want to get into synthesis, i have an option between the Kurzweil K2000Vp and the Ensoniq TS 10,im looking for sounds that are synth like which can be used for experimental music as well as sounds like in film scores from the reviews that i have read ,the kurzweil is an all rounder synth but still im looking for more opinions about it,and is it worth to have em both.thanks

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Re: Kurzweil K2000VP vs Ensoniq TS 10

Post by impaler42 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I would go with the Kurzweil K2000VP. I have a K2vx and its fantastic sounding. You can get all the usual synth sounds out of it, and much more. Its a gem of a synth. The VAST architecture is........well vast. It takes time to get into, but its got tons of depth and room for exploration. I love loading it up with sounds I find on the internet by other sound designers.

Never really heard much about that Ensoniq synth, but if its built on the same transwave synthesis engine as the SD-1, then its probably a pretty nice synth in its own right.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:34 pm

sniff!

My TS 10! Gone!

It was my second synth. In fact, is one of the best synthesizers I have played. Is a HUGE workstation. But beware, is not a sampler as you may think.

It can load samples from akai libraries, and has a very easy and intuitive to use drummap, where you can place a sample per key. It does not change the pitch of the samples.

However, can't even touch the sampler features of the K2000. K2000 kicks his a*s in all the senses, except for the brass and harsh sounds, wich are better on the Ensoniq.

The sequencing is better on the Ensoniq and easier to use. because this is truly an intuitive workstation. It has 30000 notes 16track linear sequencer that can be expanded to 100000

I also had the K2000 , check the other vs thread. Honestly, 13 years after selling it have affected my memory
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

xesevolcisum

Post by xesevolcisum » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:41 am

Sorry for replying so late, but iv placed my bet on the Kurzweil this time, from what i hear they say that if u can get one just dont think about anything and get it, I have another query cause im thinking of getting another synth ,and this is between the Yamaha DX7 and the Roland JV-1080 which ill make on a different thread.Thanks.

xesevolcisum

Post by xesevolcisum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Im in a problem again, i came across another Kurzweil k2000 but its a rack, so now im confused about which one to buy, the rack or the synth,the rack is relatively much cheaper,some advice can help.K2000VP vs K2000 rack,whats the difference???

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:05 pm

One of the best features on the kurzweil is the hammerweighted keyboard and its relation with the control after touch, wich programming features are impressive. That's obviously something to consider when getting it only as a sound module..

I wonder if you can make something with it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kurzweil-K2000-Musi ... 2c57316a89
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

SynthatticCA

Post by SynthatticCA » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 am

While I know this comment is going to sound like I'm really knocking the TS10 pretty hard, but comparing an Ensoniq to a Kurzweil is like comparing a Hyundai to an Acura. I've always stayed clear of Ensoniq gear, though I will admit when I get behind one (like the SQ2 I have for sale!) I am always impressed with the sound, though disappointed with build quality. As far as the K2000VP (oddly enough, selling one of those as well!) it's built like a tank, pretty much every MIDI parameter can be addressed, and they sound SOOOOO inspiring! (Also note, I didn't compare Kurzweil to a BMW or Mercedes, just to a good reliable Acura that's worth the price tag, and I didn't compare Ensoniq to well...what's worse than a Hyundai...a Kia?)
Also keep in mind you'll still get TONS of support for the K2000, while you won't with the TS.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm

SynthatticCA wrote:While I know this comment is going to sound like I'm really knocking the TS10 pretty hard, but comparing an Ensoniq to a Kurzweil is like comparing a Hyundai to an Acura. I've always stayed clear of Ensoniq gear, though I will admit when I get behind one (like the SQ2 I have for sale!) I am always impressed with the sound, though disappointed with build quality. As far as the K2000VP (oddly enough, selling one of those as well!) it's built like a tank, pretty much every MIDI parameter can be addressed, and they sound SOOOOO inspiring! (Also note, I didn't compare Kurzweil to a BMW or Mercedes, just to a good reliable Acura that's worth the price tag, and I didn't compare Ensoniq to well...what's worse than a Hyundai...a Kia?)
Also keep in mind you'll still get TONS of support for the K2000, while you won't with the TS.
First a little disclosure: I'm selling my TS 10.
Now. I would take the TS. It sounds better. Easier to play and program. I had A K2000, I paid $40 bucks and sold it for $180. Not built like a tank. Had problems. I called Kurzweill and the guy pretty much cursed at me... Also the TS holds it's value, because it's a better synth. TS 10s go for around $1000 and more. I sold another TS 10 about a month ago for $1000 and it sold in 1 hour. I would think the TS with an ASR would be a better sampler/synth than K2000.
P.S. Kias are great cars! ;)
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9