synsyn v andromeda

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
paulh
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

synsyn v andromeda

Post by paulh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:21 pm

hi guys anyone got both? i guess a sunsyn may be more compairable to a polyevolver ( minus the 4 voices ) so if you have one of those too .

i have an andromeda but always fanced a sunsyn , now it's being maid again but so expensive im trying to talk myself out of it!

id love to know how they compaire sound wise to an andromeda /polyevolver . i guess its the overall sound rather than detail of functionality that im interested in as i know they are all good in that way, but does the sunsyn bring something that nothing else fundamentaly does?

cheers

paul

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: synsyn v andromeda

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:43 pm

paulh wrote: i have an andromeda but always fanced a sunsyn , now it's being maid again but so expensive im trying to talk myself out of it!
Jurgen only made 10 mk2s and they sold in a day iirc, so there's no need to do that

i have both. Sunsyn has a stronger VCO out of the gate - thicker, rounder and more present. Sunsyn is more 'forward and electrified' vs the A6's kind of 'sandy frazzle', if that makes any sense. The A6's VCOs drift and phase more.
As for filters, the A6's 'Moog' is kind of a letdown. It does NOT behave like a Moog ladder at all.
But the 'SEM' filter is classic. It's got wide character sweeps (range) and a real nice mixable bandpass and highpass, and biting overdrive at higher resonance.
The Sunsyn filter is unique. 1/2/3/4-pole high or lowpass; arrange it how you like; 1-pole lowpass and 3-pole highpass, plus a knob on top to morph between two different states. It can do Moog to CS-style filtering. Delicate to sledgehammer.
Aside from the Sunsyn RCOs (similar to digital osc from PPG and uWave) the big difference is how the EG's behave. A lot of people claim that having digital EGs makes no difference, but despite all of the A6's plethora of adjustments it still cannot pound like the SS. Bluesynths said something like iirc: "it's like eating fresh tomatoes from a garden instead of from a can'. I wouldn't go quite that far, but it is noticeably more lively and impactful to have the discrete hardware EG - otherwise why bother with the extra expense and engineering.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

paulh
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by paulh » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 pm

shaft9000 wrote:Sunsyn is more 'forward and electrified' vs the A6's kind of 'sandy frazzle', if that makes any sense.
ha! thanks for that , makes total sense to me. thats the kind of thing i was wondering. which means i still want one!
not going to get one though by the look of it, not yet any way.

what is the closest sounding synth to a synsyn, does it have that kind of dave smith/yamaha kind of sound to it or is it more of that clean tight roland sound , or maybe like the livewire afg? anyone have any thoughts on that?

thanks again shaft9000 for the insight.

paul

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:43 pm

The only thing i know is that with the 5000€ you need for the new sunsyn you can buy 3 wonderful synths like Andromeda+prophet08 desktop+polyevolver rack. Think about it.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:36 pm

one key difference w/ Sunsyn vs. all other modern polys is the modulation

it has a discrete modulation path per-voice, not a multiplex, and the only digital factors are the knob+memory control and LFO. Everything else is CV-driven in modulation area. This makes for some VERY delicious sounds usually only available in a 100% analog system; like an old modular.
The A6, while flexible, can be very frustrating when trying to do authentic-sounding analog FM - the LFOs are much too slow, cross-mod is so wide-ranging and VCOs so drifty as to be very unappealing for those uses imho. Also, the CPU managing the modmatrix in the A6 can stress-out and do unwelcome things. Things that keep it far, far from being truly a 'polyphonic modular'.
Not to say that the Sunsyn is perfect, especially w/ an early OS . And most knob input values are 128 steps as with all pre-NRPN specc'd synths. So in some ways the A6 is smoother! I know, it it's paradoxical.
Multi-timbral analog polysynths have numerous quirks by their nature.
For example, the JP-8's continued reliability is in part because it is pretty simple feature-wise.
paulh wrote: what is the closest sounding synth to a synsyn, does it have that kind of dave smith/yamaha kind of sound to it or is it more of that clean tight roland sound , or maybe like the livewire afg? anyone have any thoughts on that?
it doesn't sound Roland-y to me. some say it can resemble a JP-4 at times.
like I said before above, it can be reminiscent of PPG wave, CS-60/80, memorymoog, waldorf microwave...
but not very much, really.
the Sunsyn is a unique design: the RCO's, modulation and that weird filter make sure of it.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

paulh
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by paulh » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:26 pm

shaft9000 wrote:the Sunsyn is a unique design: the RCO's, modulation and that weird filter make sure of it.
as i thought, the filter does look good...

thanks again.