Roland Juno D vs. Korg X50

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
ManInTheFog

Roland Juno D vs. Korg X50

Post by ManInTheFog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Synth n00b here thinking about purchasing one of these two romplers. They are both in my price range and have a ton of presets, which is what I'm looking for. Though I do want some acoustic sounds (piano, organ, etc.), I want more...how do I say...ambient/weird/meditative/dark/strange/echoe type sounds? I guess sample-based sounds is the correct term. Can any of you synth gurus help me out?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Roland Juno D vs. Korg X50

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 am

the Juno *D* or the *Juno Di*? from messing with them them in stores, the interface on the Di is slightly improved over the D.

Basically, both are "last model of ROMpler" units. The X50 is essentially the Triton, and the Juno D is essentially the RS series that preceded the Fantom with a little Fantom thrown in.

They have the same ROM size, the same polyphony... the X50 uses two-layer sounds while the Juno can do up to 4-layer, but in a multitimbral setup on the korg you just set two timbres to the same midi channel and get the same effect.

The X50 keyboard is horrible. Bad, bad bad. The whole thing is so cheap and flimsy...

The Juno D feels a little more solid than the Di and the keybed on those is marginally better.

Both have computer-based editors so you can do sound editing off of the tiny screen.

Do you need the 61-key keyboard?

ManInTheFog

Re: Roland Juno D vs. Korg X50

Post by ManInTheFog » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks Ashe....yeah, I would prefer the 61-key keyboard, as I'm a better piano player than synth player...i've got a microkorg and novation xiosynth that I mess around with, but haven't completely mastered the knobs or the art of synth playing in general. My budget just took a huge hit with a trip to New Orleans, so now I suppose I'll search around ebay for a used Juno D.