Prophet 08 vs Prophet 08PE.

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Malpine Walis

Post by Malpine Walis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Well, the original version is going for a good deal less on ebay right now. For the difference in price, I could get possibly some other thing. Which leaves me to wondering if I would be paying extra cash for premium knobs that don't actually do all that much for me.

Both are pretty much one thing that does what the thing does (which is quite a bit). Even so, it is around $500 extra to get the one with the special knobs.

So the question is: Is that money spent on something useful or is it spent on something that is automagically better because it happens to be more expensive?
Current gear:

Korg X5 (basically an ROMpler)
Casio VZ 10M (rack mount 80's style synth-- think DX7 on steroids)
Roland A 37 (6+ octave controller for the Casio rack unit above)
Roland JP 8000 (well enough known analog modeling digital synth)

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Re: Prophet 08 vs Prophet 08PE.

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:20 pm

You're asking us? Do you prefer pots to encoders? You're not paying for just the knobs, but also the potentiometers with a 300 degree turn and definitive stop point versus endless encoders. They're the same exact synthesizer, one just uses more traditional method of programming, and even then there are something like 15 encoders.

Here's a thread about the Mono Evolver where I was asking about knobs first, but we got into a discussion about encoders vs. pots. Stab swayed me toward encoders and after receiving my MEK I understood why.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... olver+knob

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Pots cost more than encoders, that's why the PE costs more. Do you understand the difference between the two?

As the above reply states, if you prefer encoders over pots (I do) you're in luck and can save some money. If you must have pots, you'll have to pay for them.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:05 pm

I've always looked at it like this -

If you play live, and/or you get very into the music while you're playing live or recording....then you'd probably want to go for the upgrade in knobs. if you're like me, and you record calmly and don't really play live where you might get all amped up - then you don't really need them. If you play steady, the knobs stay steady. If you are jumpy or hyper or overly energetic with the board while playing on it, you'll probably get jumps.

I have a P'08 and MEK, I've upgraded neither and don't have the issues some describe with the endless encoders. I never have any skipping problems, it never shifts from one patch to another, nor do I lose positions. I don't even look at the screens any longer for a read on the knobs' locations...I can feel it in the sound every time no matter what it is...so while the upgrades look very attractive, I just don't have any need on spending that money for looks at this point.

Hopefully that is a little helpful coming from a current P'08 owner. It is one amazing board, I will tell you - you can dive into it for hours and hours and never get bored with it!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:06 am

It's easy.

Grab the P08.. .play with it. If you don't find any issue with the encoders you're done. If not buy the POT upgrade, it's easy to install and it's not so expensive.

I have a MEK with encoders... it drives me mad. Value skip and jump. Used deoxit on the encoders and it worked for 1 month. Now it's worst than before. I ordered the POT upgrade to say STOP to this h**l and to start using it without any headaches.

I'm buying a P08 desktop and I just ordered the POT upgrade for it.

Imho the POT upgrade is a must.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:47 pm

I bought an P08 very early upon release. Had no issues witht he encoders until earlier this year, then they went to h**l in a handbasket. Deoxit worked for a while, then it seemed to get worse faster on each use. Finally I couldn't even practice without values going bananas, and I was afraid to gig with it. I upgraded to PE, and its like a whole new board. period. Money well spent.

Pots > Encoders, imo for this synth
Last edited by bhrama on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:30 am

FWIW: It's only $249 for the conversion kit:

http://store.davesmithinstruments.com/p ... php?cat=13

Malpine Walis

Post by Malpine Walis » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:52 am

Ah, perhaps it would help if I said a bit more about where I am at right now.

A few months ago, I got a TX 802 on ebay for next to nothing. It should be great but the menu diving is so bad that it is essentially useless. For software, I have just not found anything that I like all that much. The best deal I have found would require some java work. Nothing that I can't handle but it would take a couple or three weekends to get it right.

So right now, I am trying to get away from the whole menu diving experience. As I stand right now, my short list would be:

Supernova 2
The Nord Lead family
Prophet 08

Of those, only the P08 gives me the option of one or the other. Past that, there really is not a right answer. However, it really does help to hear the discussion.

I suppose that if I can save more money than the conversion kit costs, then I am automatically ahead on the game. If I decide that I don't need it, then that frees up cash for something else. In my case, something else may well refer to one of my other expensive activities. I just dropped about USD $450 on telescope parts yesterday.

Having as much info as this thread has provided, I think that I am going to put the less expensive older P08 on the short list. Which still doesn't get me to which I should buy. That is going to be based also on what pops on ebay for me when the time comes. Still, I think that I am good here.

TYVM
Current gear:

Korg X5 (basically an ROMpler)
Casio VZ 10M (rack mount 80's style synth-- think DX7 on steroids)
Roland A 37 (6+ octave controller for the Casio rack unit above)
Roland JP 8000 (well enough known analog modeling digital synth)

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Malpine Walis wrote:Ah, perhaps it would help if I said a bit more about where I am at right now.

A few months ago, I got a TX 802 on ebay for next to nothing. It should be great but the menu diving is so bad that it is essentially useless. For software, I have just not found anything that I like all that much. The best deal I have found would require some java work. Nothing that I can't handle but it would take a couple or three weekends to get it right.
TYVM
Ok, this is gonna be kind of out of left field, but have you considered getting a controller for the TX? If you're comfortable with MIDI, you can program a controller to do just about whatever you want it to using SYS-EX commands, thus freeing you from the menu-diving madness. I've got a Behringer BCR2000, and so far it has really opened up my Rolands editing-wise. I even use the DX7 presets I got from the Yahoo BCR group to use with a DSSI plug in, and it works like a charm. Just an idea.