Mopho vs Micron vs DE vs Kraftzwerg

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Mopho vs Micron vs DE vs Kraftzwerg

Post by Henfield » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:24 am

Okay, I am looking for a sound source. I primarily play the bass guitar, and I have a Sonus Bass to MIDI converter. I also have an MFB Step 64 Sequencer (MIDI/CV Sequencer), and a Yamaha KX25 keyboard controller, and I may get a MIDI bass pedal controller as well. I had a complete modular system, which I had to sell off to pay some bills, but now I have a little money to purchase a synth that I can use with my sound sources.

The DSI Mopho is analog, monophonic (not a problem), but I am more of a Moog Man in terms of the sounds that I like. I would not consider the Ion, but I played one at the local banjo center, and I was digging the sound, plus it is multitimbiral, so I can use the sequencer and the bass at the same time? The Dark Energy seems to be a favorite of a lot of people, and I know that the Kraftzwerg can be traded for or bought second hand for not too much money, and the Step 64 can control all three oscillators and the filter at the same time.

What do you think?

PS I may also build up parts of another modular via DIY as well.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Mopho vs Micron vs DE vs Kraftzwerg

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Background: I have owned the Kraftzwerg and a dotcom modular, currently own an Evolver and like you I am primarily a bassist

If your eventual goal is to rebuild the modular, then the DE or Kraftzwerg are the best choices.

Kraftzwerg beats Doepfer on paper in terms of features and the filter is Moog-ish but I never really bonded with mine. MFB gear to me is "close but not quite". For instance, I thought the max times for the EG stages were too short. Tuning on analog is always an adventure but trying to fine tune the three VCOs was touchy, just when I got the beating where I wanted it and let go of the knob it would shift. By comparison the dotcom stuff was much more precise in terms of fine control. Since you have an MFB sequencer you may have noticed the quirkiness, if you're comfortable with it then by all means go for the Kraftzwerg. The D.E. to me is too closed, the patching is pretty limited while the MFB is wide open except for the ring mod and accessing simultaneous waveforms from the VCOs and LFOs.

The DSI/Curtis filters are not very Moogy but in all other regards I really like the DSI architecture, I can get lost in the Evo the way I can get lost in a modular. The reduction in knob count of the Mopho would probably interfere with that feeling for me. The sequencer and patch memory are wonderful though, I'll often work on patches when I have no music I'm working on and on a modular that of course is an exercise in extreme frustration so I found the Evolver a very reasonable compromise (although a multimode filter in an Evo II would be lovely). There's no CV interfacing so outside of the sequencer there's no real synergy with a modular down the road. If you like to use analogs to process other audio, the various ways of triggering the DSI (env follower, MIDI stepping, etc.) are usable out of the box unlike D.E. or MFB. The Mopho price (esp. used) would be a strong incentive for me; I almost bought one but for an extra $50 I was able to score a used Evo which for me was a no-brainer.

Hope this helps.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Re: Mopho vs Micron vs DE vs Kraftzwerg

Post by Henfield » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Thank you for the response! It does help! My eventual goal is to rebuild the modular, but due to funds and time, that may be a year or two down the road.

I presently have enough funds for the MOPHO or the Micron. I have had a chance to try a Micron, but I have not had a chance to try out the MOPHO or MOPHO keyboard. Has anyone had a chance to compare these two?