Nord Lead/NL2/NM vs NL3/G2 vs NL2X

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Soundwave

Nord Lead/NL2/NM vs NL3/G2 vs NL2X

Post by Soundwave » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 pm

the first NL has a classic dirty VA sound due to its older AD converters, the NL2 had better AD converters and along with the G1 Modular is considered the definitive Nord sound

the NL3 was apparently a complete redesigned sound engine (different design team i've read somewhere) that aimed for a cleaner ''advanced subtractive'' angle than the virtual analogue warmth of the earlier Nords

now i'm not sure if this cleaner NL3 sound (which is similar to the G2's engine) was as popular but Clavia went back to the original NL2 sound for the 2x and discontinued the NL3 and sadly also the G2

I've owned a G1 Modular which of which the sound seemed to grab me more than the G2 and having just aquired a NL2x I'm already noticing a much warmer tone next to the G2's more pricise edgyness

what does anyone else think?

not sure where the Nord Wave fits in all this

aeon

Re: Nord Lead/NL2/NM vs NL3/G2 vs NL2X

Post by aeon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 pm

I don't know where the NordWave fits either, but yea, the G1/NL2 sound is the sound that I prefer - love even with my NM G1.

cheers,
Ian

Seracs

Post by Seracs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 am

Sold my G2 as it had no personality whatsoever. Yeah yeah massive technical advances over the G1, but so, so, boring sounding. The 8 knob interface was also a letdown personally, transitioned to Kore 2 and loved it infinitely more than the G2.

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 am

I love my NL rack... I quite like the old A/D converters.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Seracs wrote:Sold my G2 as it had no personality whatsoever. Yeah yeah massive technical advances over the G1, but so, so, boring sounding. The 8 knob interface was also a letdown personally, transitioned to Kore 2 and loved it infinitely more than the G2.
This I couldn't agree with more! I borrowed a G2 for a bit and didn't like it, I owned a mk1 Modular for a year and I LOVED that thing to bits...much more flexible than a lead 2 also but same great sound. Not keen on the Lead 2x, over priced and lame

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:24 pm

In the case of all the Clavia synths, the difference in sound is down to the algorithms present in a given machine. The D/A has little to do with it.

cheers,
Ian

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:44 am

aeon wrote:In the case of all the Clavia synths, the difference in sound is down to the algorithms present in a given machine. The D/A has little to do with it.

cheers,
Ian
yeah the sound design it totally different however I think you get an increased dynamic range with the 2X over the NL2

aeon

Post by aeon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 am

Soundwave wrote:
aeon wrote:In the case of all the Clavia synths, the difference in sound is down to the algorithms present in a given machine. The D/A has little to do with it.

cheers,
Ian
yeah the sound design it totally different however I think you get an increased dynamic range with the 2X over the NL2
Yep, but even so, most likely the difference wouldn't be perceivable except in a specialized listening environment given that the additional range would be lost beneath the noise floor of even a quiet room.

cheers,
Ian

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:49 pm

aeon wrote:
Soundwave wrote:

cheers,
Ian
Yep, but even so, most likely the difference wouldn't be perceivable except in a specialized listening environment given that the additional range would be lost beneath the noise floor of even a quiet room.

cheers,
Ian
I don't know about that but you do get a lot more gain to play with and the highs are very sweeeeeet