Evolver Vs LP

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Evolver Vs LP

Post by megamanx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:08 pm

I am torn between the two...I know they are very different but are similarly priced...I recently sold my mopho so I am looking for a mono synth for my gigs (not interested on Mopho K)...Unfortunally I don't live anywhere near music store to check them out...I know the evolver has way more options than the lp, but I don't know if it is capable of good bass sounds...Maybe I should just get the dt evolver and the slim phatty and get both :lol: ...I want the keyboard though...

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Evolver Vs LP

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14 pm

They're very, very different. The LP just sounds like a Moog. The Evo is crisper, more modern sounding if that makes sense, and more greatly capable of doing mad things, but if you want the creamy, thick, chocolatey sound, it doesn't quite cut it like the LP does.

Boils down to taste in the end. I had both (bought in summer '07), couldn't figure out how to make the Evo keep me happy, and sold it. The LP gets plenty of use and is not going anywhere without me.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm

If you could settle for the LP which has many less features than an Evolver, then I would suggest getting a Pro~One :D
bonne chance

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p

Post by megamanx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:19 pm

you're partially responsible for this dilema, don't add to it.... :lol:

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 pm

megamanx wrote:you're partially responsible for this dilema, don't add to it.... :lol:
I know, I know.. :oops:
bonne chance

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:57 am

I have an MEK, love it. I don't think I'll ever consider getting rid of it.

With that said, I also definitely in the mood to pick up an LP at some point hopefully very soon.

To me this would be less a decision of which one to get, as much as it should be which one to get first. I don't think you can classify the two as the same thing in the least, and I don't think you're doing that - I know you know what you're talking about...but with the MEK you can get great leads that are just beautiful, plus it can give you some really clean/crisp bass tones too. With the LP - I know you can get a lot of great sounds out of it, but god does it make one beautiful mono bass synth. It has a gorgeous sound, awesome filter and can get oh so mean so fast. Once I get my way - I think those two will be on top of each other, the LP being my bass in most songs and the MEK being my lead/weird noises.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 am

rharris07 wrote:I have an MEK, love it. I don't think I'll ever consider getting rid of it.

With that said, I also definitely in the mood to pick up an LP at some point hopefully very soon.

To me this would be less a decision of which one to get, as much as it should be which one to get first. I don't think you can classify the two as the same thing in the least, and I don't think you're doing that - I know you know what you're talking about...but with the MEK you can get great leads that are just beautiful, plus it can give you some really clean/crisp bass tones too. With the LP - I know you can get a lot of great sounds out of it, but god does it make one beautiful mono bass synth. It has a gorgeous sound, awesome filter and can get oh so mean so fast. Once I get my way - I think those two will be on top of each other, the LP being my bass in most songs and the MEK being my lead/weird noises.
That's my thinking too...I do want a keyboard...I have considered getting either one as a keyboard and the other as a module...but which one??

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:05 am

I think it would definitely be easier to get the phatty in module form considering how many parameters the Evolver has. Even the MEK has tons of menu diving parameters.
bonne chance

imperets

Post by imperets » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 am

Do you think it's worth getting an Evolver if you already got an LP and a Virus TI. I'm making House/Trance stuff.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:28 am

imperets wrote:Do you think it's worth getting an Evolver if you already got an LP and a Virus TI. I'm making House/Trance stuff.
My guess is no... from what I know of the Virus TI, it covers most of the Evolver's territory.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:36 am

Hey MegamanX. I have both of the synths. Although the Evolver has more features it's "more modern" sounding than the LP like Nathanscribe said. However there are a some great bass sounds that you we're wondering if the LP has or is capable of creating. Some are old Taurus sounding bass sounds but they're simply put "thick." Plus, even though this would cost a whole lot more you can always get the CP-251 and some Moggerfogger pedals and turn your LP into a kind of modular really. But having said that it would be way pricier to by the Moog pedals and the CP-251 added to whatever you're going to find an LP for (new it's still 1,295 USD right?) then the Evolver is the better choice. Oh and imo the Evolver desktop isn't that great. If you're going to go desktop or rack DSI get the poly rack imo.
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

I guess is just a matter of who wants to sell me either one first...I have a whole in my pocket! Take my money!

Also I guess I should say what I already have...
Roland SH 101
Yamaha CS5
Nord Lead 2
Korg Radias
Novation Bass Station

(I am a fan of mono synths)

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:38 pm

megamanx wrote:I guess is just a matter of who wants to sell me either one first...I have a whole in my pocket! Take my money!

Also I guess I should say what I already have...
Roland SH 101
Yamaha CS5
Nord Lead 2
Korg Radias
Novation Bass Station

(I am a fan of mono synths)
Wouldn't the SH101, CS5 and Bass Station handle the mono bass duties you want?

The analog oscillators and filter of the Evolver are the same as the MoPho/Tetra/P08. Many think that you can't do suboscillators but you can...You can use the digital oscillators as subs, for example. Or you can stack two programs in combo mode and have the second program down an octave or two. Some might say it's not quite the same but you definitely have more control over the "subs" by doing it that way.

megamanx

Post by megamanx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:33 am

Bass station might be going on sale soon, Sh 101 gets out of tune all the time, and CS5, well I don't like gigging with it...

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

nathanscribe wrote:They're very, very different. The LP just sounds like a Moog. The Evo is crisper, more modern sounding if that makes sense, and more greatly capable of doing mad things, but if you want the creamy, thick, chocolatey sound, it doesn't quite cut it like the LP does.

Boils down to taste in the end. I had both (bought in summer '07), couldn't figure out how to make the Evo keep me happy, and sold it. The LP gets plenty of use and is not going anywhere without me.
+1. Except I had a Little Phatty and subsequently an MEK, and the Evolver stays, but for exactly the same reasons.

The problem I had with the LP is that, well, everything sounds so... Moog. I know that it's a lovely, warm, rounded sound and that it's driven a hundred hit records.... but there's only so much you can do with two oscillators and that filter [...awaits instant VSE ban.... :lol: ]

The Evolver, on the other hand, can head off into places no Moog this side of the modular can. There's no arguing that the MEK offers more - envelopes, filters, sequencer, digital, analog, ring, FM, bitcrushing, distortion, delays... but as said, make sure you like the sonic signature before committing. That goes for the Moog, too.
Less words more noise