Novation Ultranova VS M-Audio Venom

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Novation Ultranova VS M-Audio Venom

Post by GameChanger » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Two new digital compact synths aimed at the same market. Haven't tried either of them. What do yall think?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Novation Ultranova VS M-Audio Venom

Post by garranimal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:53 pm

I've messed w/ both, although the Venom way more than Ultranova. I went w/ Venom, here are a few reasons.
- After a demo of both, and editing some sounds, the Venom just lends itself well to the kind of music I'm doing right now and it feels right.
- I sold my Supernova II some time ago. It was capable of some really cool sounds, but listening to my older tracks it sounded too commercial trance to me. After trying the Ultranova, although different, reminded me a bit of Supernova which is a good thing in a lot of ways - but not for me.
- Obviously, price
- I've already got Wave 2.V for wavetables
- Don't need a vocoder
- Ultranova Editor Software is a plug-in that requires a DAW. I don't want to open my DAW every time I want to mess w/ some sounds. Vyzex is stand-alone. BUT this is also a disadvantage because someday I may want to control Vyzex software from my DAW and to do so will require upgrade which isn't available yet AFAIK. Until then I can control the Venom w/ DAW.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yea it seems like the Venom has more character from the demos Ive heard too, which is kind of tough to find in new compact VA's. Surprised M-Audio Came out with it. Out of all companys. haha

From the demos Ive heard I'm not very mpressed with the ultranova so far, but can't say that 100% until I try it out myself.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 am

I was playing with a Venom just yesterday. Very impressed with the quality overall, and some great sounds to boot. Between those 2, the venom would be my choice as well.
Bassist, synth junkie

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:04 am

I apologize for commenting without having played either of these synthesizers (I'm not willing to judge the sounds from Youtube vids), but the Ultranova appears to have a much better front-panel programming interface and some interesting features such as a built-in 2-input USB/audio interface and touch-sensitive knobs.

edit- despite what i just said about youtube demos, here's the best one I've found

[bbvideo]<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>[/bbvideo]

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow.. the M-Audio Venom is the rawest/best V/A I've ever heard.