Prophet 5 vs Jupiter 6?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
laserboy

Prophet 5 vs Jupiter 6?

Post by laserboy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 pm

hi
im owning a jupiter 6 and a juno-60, and thinking on selling my jupiter and purchase a Prophet 5.
I never had a prophet 5 before, and im not very sure , are there big differences in Sound etc..
what would be your favorite in this case?

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Prophet 5 vs Jupiter 6?

Post by garranimal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:45 pm

This will probably get moved to synth shootouts. JP-6 has 3-mode filter, a gritty 12 db/oct at that. Prophet has a warm 24 db/oct lowpass. Prophet 5 is without MIDI. Apples and oranges. As far as choosing a favorite is largely discretionary. You might try a demo version of Arturia Prophet-V.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 am

My opinion is that a Prophet 5 would not be a good replacement for a Jupiter 6. The JP6 is one of the most unique sounding and most capable analog polysynths ever built, not to mention very reliable. A Prophet could make a good supplement to a Jupiter as they do sound quite different. You might also consider as a supplemental synth an OB-series Oberheim which will come closer to the Prophet sound and is capable of fatter sounds than either the Prophet or Jupiter.
Last edited by V301H on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 am

Multimode filter on a Poly is a BIG bonus, keep the Jupiter.
You always want just one more Synth!

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:04 pm

I agree with V301H. The Prophet falls into the "warmer" "rounder" sounding category along with the Oberheims. One could argue that the Juno might belong there as well and you already have two synths, although both Rolands, that compliment each other. Also, if you don't have Europa installed in your JP-6 you're really missing out. It truly takes the synth to the next level.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Im having the europa Installed
i just find the sound of the JP6 too Cold and the basses metallic..
maybe its just a matter of taste
im looking now for a Ob-8 or Prophet 5

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 am

I have a JP6 with Europa recently installed, and a Prophet 5 rev 2 with MIDI, and they complement each other very well. The JP6 is really flexible and ultra reliable - I've had mine for 12 years with zero issues. But for warm organic sounds and textures, Prophet 5 all the way! I'm not sure how a rev 3 would compare with the JP6 though, because I've never played one...

Frank

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:58 am

I'm gonna piss off everyone here :P

I had a JP-6 for years and I never really liked it (except with osc sync on in unison mode). Always just sounded kind of blah to me- not super warm, or big, just kind of there. I REALLY wanted to love it- cosmetically, ergonomically and reliability-wise it was great. I own a rev 3.2 Prophet, and they don't even compare. I love the warble of the Prophet PWM, and the filters are velvety when dialed in just right. I'd take the Prophet any day over the JP-6, even over a JP-8 (had one of those for months at my studio as well).
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm looking for a nice Jupiter 6 is anyone wants to unload one :)

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 pm

V301H wrote:My opinion is that a Prophet 5 would not be a good replacement for a Jupiter 6. The JP6 is one of the most unique sounding and most capable analog polysynths ever built, not to mention very reliable. A Prophet could make a good supplement to a Jupiter as they do sound quite different. You might also consider as a supplemental synth an OB-series Oberheim which will come closer to the Prophet sound and is capable of fatter sounds than either the Prophet or Jupiter.

I Own A Matrix-6 with programmer, does it come close to a OB-series?

Theokretes
Gear: JUNO-60, Jupiter-4, JV-1080, CS2x

Post by Theokretes » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:30 am

celebutante wrote:I'm gonna piss off everyone here :P

I had a JP-6 for years and I never really liked it (except with osc sync on in unison mode). Always just sounded kind of blah to me- not super warm, or big, just kind of there. I REALLY wanted to love it- cosmetically, ergonomically and reliability-wise it was great. I own a rev 3.2 Prophet, and they don't even compare. I love the warble of the Prophet PWM, and the filters are velvety when dialed in just right. I'd take the Prophet any day over the JP-6, even over a JP-8 (had one of those for months at my studio as well).
Awww come on. Jupiter-8s are AMAZING! One of the best analogue synths I think.
I've heard that the Jupiter 6s though weren't all that great (never tried one myself). With that said, just because it has MIDI doesn't mean anything. I can get MIDI on my JUNO-60.
From what I've heard on the JP-6, it doesn't have a punch that you can get with the sub-osc and square-wave on the JUNO-60; that thing has some mean bass.

It always bothered me how Roland never did anything more to the Jupiter-8, they just dropped it like a dead rag.

EDIT:
Well Roland did release a JP-8 emulator (and some patches on the JV-1080 which are supposed to sound vaguely like the JP-8), but that's not the real thing still.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:04 am

laserboy wrote:

I Own A Matrix-6 with programmer, does it come close to a OB-series?
The Matrix-6 has DCO's rather than VCO's as found on the OB-series as well as the Prophet 5 and Jupiter 6. The Matrix-6 has a lot of uncommon capabilities and it's DCO's don't require an onboard chorus to add richness like most DCO synths. Still it doesn't come close to the warmth and fatness of an OBX, OBXa, or OB8.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

midimarty
Gear: VirusTI,MoogVoyager,Roland,Korg,Ensoniq,Alesis,Yamaha,Emu,Kawai,Kurzweil,Oberheim,etc...Lots of Soft Synths.I do not own an Akai. I am not sure why?

Post by midimarty » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Keep the Jupiter-6 sell something other than your synths and buy the Prophet-5. both great synthesizers. And both are always better than just one.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 pm

In sound, a Prophet beats the JP-6.

Pros for JP-6 is the arpeggiator and multimode.