Juno 106 VS Polysix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
THEODICY

Juno 106 VS Polysix

Post by THEODICY » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 am

I just picked up a 106 for a very good price. It's a fixer upper with the typical problems but it's in very good shape. So, while I'm fixing it I won't be able to compare the sound of the two for now. From what I know about the two, the Juno can hold down the low end while the P6 kinda loses clarity. The P6 filter is sharp and full of awesome harmonics, the 106 has a nice one too but more bread and butter maybe? Envelopes on the P6 are pretty quick, the 106 better be faster than the Jx-3p I just let go. LFO on the P6 is pretty fast and sub to near audio range, how's the 106?

Really, I always thought the 106 was over rated and over hyped but more and more I started to feel like in a mix, some synths cut through better than others and I think the Juno has been a proven contender. The 106 also has seemed to go WAY up in price over the past two years. Thoughts?

THEODICY

Re: Juno 106 VS Polysix

Post by THEODICY » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow, the Juno 106 is way better than I expected. The filter is nice and that BASS!! I am shocked!

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 pm

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 pm

^^Good thread on the 106 vs Polysix.

OT... Theodicy, what did you pay? I played a basement house show a few months ago and found a Juno 106 sitting in the corner. Took it home fr 70 bucks. It's become a staple in my setup in that time. Simple but flexible, sounds great, and MIDI!!! I've been arpeggiating it w/ a Novation K-Station and absolutely love that I can play leads over the arp patterns and bring in the K-Station sounds to beef up the arps.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 pm

I paid $150. It has a problematic #5 80017 and needs two sliders and a few buttons, but the plastics are all there and body is in great shape. I can play it on poly mode 2 as long as I don't go over 4 notes right now. Parts are cheap so it's all good. I'm going to try and do the acetone bath soon on those chips. I can tell this synth is going to make it into a lot of my tracks.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Own a Juno, but in college had a roommate with a Polysix (the first analog I ever played on). The Korg is much thicker, more sweathog in sound. The Juno...I don't know what it is, but the 106 just plays nice. It's not a standout synth, but underneath things it just makes a mix. I've used mine recording electronic music, alt-country, indie rock, prog metal, etc. and it always just fits nice.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:04 am

I'd sell the Juno 106 and get a Juno 6.

Who needs patch memory. :D
And the arp trig in is great.
Maybe get a MIDI later when you're feeling rich.

Juno-6 and Polysix are an amazing pair.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:54 am

The 106 has that classic french house sound for which I'm going. Played with it again today and man, it's sound is RIGHT ON for the house music genre. I've heard this thing more than I knew. I need midi and patch memory for my live rig once the Octatrack gets the OS update. My polysix already has midi too but I agree that arp trig is nice. Clocking something through trigger will be tighter than midi from a DAW, but hopefully, the hardware I'm using has a steady clock. PWM with the envelope seems cool, is it pretty useful? Does the Juno 6/60 have protamento?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:28 am

I really like my Juno 106 but still need to fix the patch memory and need to replace a voice chip...

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:06 am

THEODICY wrote:PWM with the envelope seems cool, is it pretty useful? Does the Juno 6/60 have protamento?
PWM with the envelope is useful if you want to control the PWM with an envelope.

The Juno's 6 & 60 do not have portamento.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:54 am

Not quite sure what the question is, but the answer is obviously POLYSIX :)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:47 pm

THEODICY wrote:PWM with the envelope seems cool, is it pretty useful?
You want the most control over PWM that you can have. Controlling PWM with envelope is cool, and also a pretty standard sound.

I'm not sure where you are, but I just looked on eBay, and while there are a few of them that went for surprisingly high prices (those which had been modded), I don't know that their value has increased all that much in the past 10 years, let alone two. When I was obsessively scanning value of analog synths between about 2000 and 2008, the price of them hovered around $450 pretty consistently. I was shocked that when the whole voice failing issue happened, it didn't reduce the value to zero... and as I recall, it did damage the value a bit... but they seem to be back up to their standard price, or so.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 am

I remembered that $450 range as well, even though I have only been scanning vintage synth prices for about four years now, you'd be hard pressed to find one for the $450 range these days. It seems like the demanding price has jumped well over that in just the past year and a half in fact. I thought price point translated sound spec back then, which is why I always slept on this synth. That plus the VCF/VCA chip issues. But this thing is, I think it is a generally undervalued board. I finally found a Roland DCO sound I like!! It's the saw wave on the 106 :)

I got a good deal but would say it's not worth more than $300 for a problematic Juno 106 since you'd have to most likely invest around $400 in parts to get it "right." These are NOT world class like an OB-X or Xa or P5 or JP-8 or anything, so, it's a tricky thing to find one at the right price right now ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Nannerfan wrote:I'd sell the Juno 106 and get a Juno 6.
That would be a bad idea given that they're the same synth except for the bass boost, which is just a simple eq job.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm

madtheory wrote:
Nannerfan wrote:I'd sell the Juno 106 and get a Juno 6.
That would be a bad idea given that they're the same synth except for the bass boost, which is just a simple eq job.
I think there's a bit more to it than that, the envelopes are clearly different even to a casual listener. I'm sure others who have digged around these synths could be more technical, but there's been plenty of web discussion on this, and certain components are different.