Juno 106 VS Polysix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
redchapterjubilee

Re: Juno 106 VS Polysix

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:20 pm

I bought my 106 on here from someone with a hard case for something like $350 postpaid, which was during the slump. Now, I think because of the acetone method for reviving the chips, they are starting to climb back up. The 106 chip problem fed the climb of 6/60 prices, where those are FINALLY fetching what they're worth (sadly, no longer cheap deals). The Alphas are now your Juno deal, though the JX3P is curiously still undervalued.

The thing about the Polysix versus the Junos is that you really do have a clear difference between the two. It's more about the sort of sound you are after. The Youtube videos such as:

really show just how different these synths are. Both are lush in their own way, but there's a certain thinner brightness to the 106. I'd love to a Polysix but the price tag is a bit higher than I'd want to pay and I need MIDI.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Phenom wrote:but there's been plenty of web discussion on this, and certain components are different.
Yes, there has. There's a site where all the circuits were analysed, they're all the same, the only difference was the bass boost. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 am

Well they sound much different to my ears. Juno 106 bored me to tears.., but I think it had a better string sound than the 6/60 for some reason. Seems better for church I guess. Nice tame pads, .. very early Swayzak sounding.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Nannerfan wrote:Well they sound much different to my ears. Juno 106 bored me to tears.., but I think it had a better string sound than the 6/60 for some reason. Seems better for church I guess. Nice tame pads, .. very early Swayzak sounding.
I found this with my Juno 6 (and eventually even the Alpha Junos which had more trickery going on; though I did find them a bit more fun in the sound dept but obviously lacking the sound of the J6/60), can't say it's only because of the 6/60/106 being single OSC though as I never feel 'bored' with my fairly simplistic single OSC Polysix, it's more to do with those 'on rails' sound parameters that Roland built it to ensure you never make it sound bad, it limited the range of sounds you could truly find/make your own and they are nice sounding synths but after a year or so you end up wanting more, be it a more organic VCO synth (This is where polysix steps in) or more advance architecture / 2+ osc synth (this is where the JX's fill the void). Though for bass the Juno still has it, but I don't like having a synth 'just' for it's good bass as many seem to (and If I did I would love an SH-2/09/101 etc instead)

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

madtheory wrote: Yes, there has. There's a site where all the circuits were analysed, they're all the same, the only difference was the bass boost. I'll see if I can dig it out.
If I may...

http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... -from.html
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Aha! Thanks Dave!