Casio CZ5000 vs VZ1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Re: Casio CZ5000 vs VZ1

Post by bendragon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:13 am

I know this is an old thread but I think I'll still add my 2cents.
I've owned a CZ101, I currently own a CZ3000 and a VZ1 and have owned a DX7.

The VSE article claims the VZ can pull off some CZ and some DX sounds. Not even close. Never gotten a CZ sound out of my VZ, never will because the synthesis method in the VZ is a rapid departure from the CZ. The VZ is very close to the DX7 in terms of tonality, but its warmer, grungier and can do some very unique things. Its very sharp as well, alarmingly so. Pads, Leads and rich tones are its forté. Compared to a DX7 its also much easier to program: everything is displayed graphically in a well structured manner. If you're used to subtractive synths, then it WILL take getting used to. If you're used to digi synths, spend a week with it and you'll be ready.

The CZ, on the other hand, is warm, soft and gritty with a very analogue tone. Synthy strings, Sci-Fi, effects and rich bass lines are its main areas. Its the yin to the VZ's yang. Its easy to program since it looks and operates like a subtractive analogue synthesizer as well.

If you had to choose one, I'd have to ask the question "what do you want from it?" because both are so different in what they can do and what they are good at. Having both, however, is so much fun it hurts. Deep bass and warm strings from the CZ together with a snappy 16th note sequence and piercing lead from the VZ always sounds good.

KrEaTiV
Gear: TR-606
Böhm DD-19
Juno-6

Re: Casio CZ5000 vs VZ1

Post by KrEaTiV » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:05 am

bendragon wrote:I know this is an old thread but I think I'll still add my 2cents.
I've owned a CZ101, I currently own a CZ3000 and a VZ1 and have owned a DX7.

The VSE article claims the VZ can pull off some CZ and some DX sounds. Not even close. Never gotten a CZ sound out of my VZ, never will because the synthesis method in the VZ is a rapid departure from the CZ. The VZ is very close to the DX7 in terms of tonality, but its warmer, grungier and can do some very unique things. Its very sharp as well, alarmingly so. Pads, Leads and rich tones are its forté. Compared to a DX7 its also much easier to program: everything is displayed graphically in a well structured manner. If you're used to subtractive synths, then it WILL take getting used to. If you're used to digi synths, spend a week with it and you'll be ready.

The CZ, on the other hand, is warm, soft and gritty with a very analogue tone. Synthy strings, Sci-Fi, effects and rich bass lines are its main areas. Its the yin to the VZ's yang. Its easy to program since it looks and operates like a subtractive analogue synthesizer as well.

If you had to choose one, I'd have to ask the question "what do you want from it?" because both are so different in what they can do and what they are good at. Having both, however, is so much fun it hurts. Deep bass and warm strings from the CZ together with a snappy 16th note sequence and piercing lead from the VZ always sounds good.

I agree 100 % - very good comment about the CZ and VZ synths mr. bendragon .....

btw: I would never sell my great, old CZ-5000 :mrgreen: