Matrix 1000 vs. DW-8000 vs. ...

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
paxton

Matrix 1000 vs. DW-8000 vs. ...

Post by paxton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:01 pm

I have been going back and forth for a few months trying to decide what next synth to add to my collection. I am looking for something with a vintage old school darkish sound. At first I was comparing a Studio Electronics ATC-1 with a Slim/Little Phatty. Now I'm out of that price range and I'm looking at the Korg DW-8000 and Oberheim Matrix 1000 mostly. I'm totally up for suggestions but note what is said about a truly vintage 80's/70's sound. My current rig is a DSI Tetra (my love but is really raw and not too smooth and vintage at all times), DSI MED Evolver, Emu Vintage Keys, Nord Micromodular, Red Sound Dark Star 2, many soft synths, so that should help as far as picking things with different sound & filter chips etc. Thank you very much for your participation!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Matrix 1000 vs. DW-8000 vs. ...

Post by Z » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Programming the Korg DW-8000 (or EX-8000) is pretty easy once you learn all the locations (or numbers) of all the parameters. I like the bell and vocal sounds it can make with the DWS waveforms.

The Matrix 1000 cannot be programmed from the front panel (computer only), but is capable of rather deep and unique synthesis (I've got a M-6R which is same synth engine and can be programmed from front panel) and also has 1000 patch memories (most of them are preset-only).

Another option to look at is the Kawai K3 or K3R.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Like Z wrote, the Matrix 1000 needs a computer for sound design. 800 of the patches are factory presets, you can store 200 of your own sounds. I would buy it over a DW8000 mainly because it's all analog...you did say you were after 70s sounds which means analog to me.

There are a few freeware Matrix 100 editors available for both Windows and Mac.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 pm

i'd go DW8000 ..i found the matrix 1000 to limiting and same sounding patches.nothing to press of turn..
surely the fun is in developing a sound..and i think they have an arppegiator.

sold the matrix last year good riddance even if it was analogue so what...thers others a lot better..

good luck... let us know what you chose in the end.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:02 pm

The computer editing thing is obviously a personal preference. I own both a Matrix-1000 and a Matrix-6r. Although you can program the 6r from the panel, I rarely do so. I much prefer using the computer where you have all of the parameters in front of you. And I have to disagree with all of the M1000 patches sounding the same -- I've managed to create some pretty wild stuff with mine. Among other things, you can set up a drone patch that sounds continuously or with a repeating envelope; not many polysynths let you do that.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

midimarty
Gear: VirusTI,MoogVoyager,Roland,Korg,Ensoniq,Alesis,Yamaha,Emu,Kawai,Kurzweil,Oberheim,etc...Lots of Soft Synths.I do not own an Akai. I am not sure why?

Post by midimarty » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:30 am

OK guys, here goes my first post on VSE. I have Three Matrix-1000s and Two Korg EX-8000(rack mount ver. of DW 8000). I love both of these boxes. I use my Matrixes more than the EX-8000s. With an editor librarian the Matrix is more versatile as far its modulation routing is concerned. I really like the curtis chip sound. This box makes amazing analog pads and bass sounds. Two together are amazing. Slightly detune one against the other. Pan them where you like and delay the second less than thirty mil. seconds to get the Haas Effect. Wow! Better than a Matrix 12.

One advantage the KORG EX-8000 has, is its analog sounding delay. Definitely Cool! The 8000 makes some great fat lead sounds. Also better with a editor librarian and using two with the Haas Effect. If you are on a limited budget, you can use a digital or analog delay panned the opposite direction from your synth less than 30 mil seconds with a little modulation. Fat!

paxton

Post by paxton » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:20 am

I ended up getting a Matrix 1000 (really enjoyed the sound of it, editing was really slow which was annoying), then I got the Slim Phatty (a lot of fun and a huge sound but ended up getting rid of this too). i now have the DW-8000 (love the sound too but too big would rather go with the EX to save space). Just ordered the ATC-1 which sounds exciting and similar to the Slim Phatty.