Prophet 600 VS Juno 60

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Prophet 600 VS Juno 60

Post by GameChanger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:29 am

Looking to pick up a decent all rounder analog poly synth. And my mind has come down to these two. Midi isnt the biggest deal as I can sample live. Which one would you pick?

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: Prophet 600 VS Juno 60

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:43 am

All rounder huh? MIDI no biggie? Ever think about a Polysix instead?

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:27 am

I've owned both, and I think the Prophet 600 has a much better claim than the Juno 60 to being an "all around analog poly." In terms of specs, the P600 really has a number of major advantages over the Juno 60: VCOs over DCOs; dual oscillators per voice vs. single oscillator per voice; 2 ADSRs vs. 1 ADSR; polymod section vs. N/A. In these respects, the Prophet 600 is a significantly deeper synthesizer, and offers a much wider timbral range.

That said, the tone of the Juno 60 is beautiful, and it has wonderful, snappy envelopes; the envelopes of the Prophet 600, by contrast, are a bit "mushy." The Juno 60 also has a famously wide "sweet spot:" it is almost impossible to make it sound bad. On the other hand, the Prophet 600 is going to give you that truly vintage, cutting/aggressive "Curtis" growl for under $1000 -- tremendous value for money.

In brief, knowing nothing about your music or your other equipment, I'd recommend the Prophet 600. But it may be that the Juno 60 would fit your needs better. You'll just have to watch as many YouTube clips as possible.*

* I'm one of the few who actually believes that YouTube CAN give you a pretty accurate impression of what a synthesizer sounds like...

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:07 am

CfNorENa wrote:* I'm one of the few who actually believes that YouTube CAN give you a pretty accurate impression of what a synthesizer sounds like...
I agree..

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:59 pm

I have both (and a Polysix) and I much prefer the P-600. Like CfNorENa mentioned, the P-600 is the deeper synth, and with "that" powerful American synth sound. I like my Juno-60 (tight, focused) and Polysix (ethereal, soft) well enough, but if I had to pick one, the P-600 would be my choice for an all-rounder.

Prophet-600:

Juno-60:

- CM

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 pm

we have beautiful examples of both in stock right now. personally, i prefer to p600 since its got more features (oscillator sync, 2 oscillators, 1 finger chord, poly mod). the juno-60 is a bit tighter and responds better to realtime knob movement and i feel sound quality is a little better, but would still choose the p600.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:48 am

However the juno is more reliable....and sounds amazing.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:42 pm

japanese synths are usually more reliable than american made ones, but they do sound different.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

KennaOkoye
Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Post by KennaOkoye » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks the 600, is fatter and sounds more higher quality? 60 has more sheen... but i feel like the 600 is deeper, and cuts through the mix better! maybe im crazy

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 pm

KennaOkoye wrote:Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks the 600, is fatter and sounds more higher quality? 60 has more sheen... but i feel like the 600 is deeper, and cuts through the mix better! maybe im crazy
well... 2 VCOs per voice VS. 1 DCO per voice makes a huge difference.

The J60 to my ears has brighter yet somehow smoother sound while the P600 has a powerful and rich yet dark sound.

the Filter on my P600 is a tad limited in range... but that range is where I want most of my pads to be. It's definitely a Curtis machine in the same family as Oberheims.

I think a lot of the smoothness of the J60 comes from it's filter and vanilla DCO. The shimmer comes from it's particular brand chorus.

I say just get a P600 and nice analog stereo chorus like an Ibanez TC10 or BCL or a Boss CE300.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 pm

KennaOkoye wrote:Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks the 600, is fatter and sounds more higher quality? 60 has more sheen... but i feel like the 600 is deeper, and cuts through the mix better! maybe im crazy
I wouldn't say higher quality, just different. Like themilford said, the Roland is smoother and prettier. The 600 is more agressive. But it can also do 70s-style analog better, get a lot grittier, and still offer some lovely brass and string sounds. I sold mine to themilford, thinking I could get close enough with my Poly Evolver. But I missed the organic VCOs and that filter so much that I had to buy another after a few months!

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Post by themilford » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:59 am

I think "brassy" is a good way to describe the Curtis sound in general... but I wouldn't say the P600 does the best brassy pads... not like an OB-X anyway. maybe it's the slower than ideal envelopes.

"creepy" is another great word I've heard used to describe the P600.

I wonder if the "slop" setting on the Prophet '08 can get close to the swirl of the P600? It seem from reports that the Evolver has even less so.

Even the lowly AX-60 get a bit of swirl going when it's VCOs starts to drift.

Funny I don't own any DCO synths. I do hope to eventually snag a JX-3P

I just don't have any interest in paying inflated prices for a Juno-60 at this time.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:41 am

themilford wrote: "creepy" is another great word I've heard used to describe the P600.

I wonder if the "slop" setting on the Prophet '08 can get close to the swirl of the P600? It seem from reports that the Evolver has even less so.

Even the lowly AX-60 get a bit of swirl going when it's VCOs starts to drift.
Yeah the all analog DSI synths (MoPho, P08 and Tetra) have more slop than the Evolvers. I wouldn't mind an update for more Evolver slop. But the 600 still sounds more organic than the DSI stuff. I believe the LFO on the 600 is digitally controlled but it sounds so pretty and organic (and yes sometimes creepy!), perhaps because it's still modulating a VCO.

(Yeah I've been grooving on my 600 big time lately...)

themilford

Post by themilford » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:49 am

We really need to play sometime... I think we have very similar taste in synths ;)

I'm thinking of hosting a "meltdown" session at my house soon. Get a bunch of friends, synths and drum machines rolling and just jam. I have a few semi local friends with cool gear. I can record the thing... wife would be cool with me taking over the house... maybe make a party out of it.

Entrance fee to play is to bring a cool synth... or a bottle of single malt. ;)

Anyway, The P600 is such a great deal. It sells for about what it's worth musically. It's sorta perfectly appreciated for what it is. Unlike the AX-60 which is under-appreciated for what it's capable and the Juno 60 is sorta overpriced for what you get. I mean J60s seem to go for between $800 and $1k and AX-60s go for $400. Seems to me they're both $600-synths for what you get. Which would make the P600 just about right at $800-$1000. It's just a more powerful tool.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen and OS upgrade for the P600 like we've seen for the JX-3P and the Poly-800. Seems like a more worthy foundation to apply such improvements to.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 am

themilford wrote:We really need to play sometime... I think we have very similar taste in synths ;)

I'm thinking of hosting a "meltdown" session at my house soon. Get a bunch of friends, synths and drum machines rolling and just jam. I have a few semi local friends with cool gear. I can record the thing... wife would be cool with me taking over the house... maybe make a party out of it.

Entrance fee to play is to bring a cool synth... or a bottle of single malt. ;)
I'd be down for that. As long as you don't expect any Wakeman-style solos from me!
themilford wrote:
Anyway, The P600 is such a great deal. It sells for about what it's worth musically. It's sorta perfectly appreciated for what it is. Unlike the AX-60 which is under-appreciated for what it's capable and the Juno 60 is sorta overpriced for what you get. I mean J60s seem to go for between $800 and $1k and AX-60s go for $400. Seems to me they're both $600-synths for what you get. Which would make the P600 just about right at $800-$1000. It's just a more powerful tool.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen and OS upgrade for the P600 like we've seen for the JX-3P and the Poly-800. Seems like a more worthy foundation to apply such improvements to.
I guess those who wanted more from their Prophets have splurged on a P5. But now that those are in la-la land pricing, we may yet see some OS upgrades.