Prophet 600 VS Juno 60

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Re: Prophet 600 VS Juno 60

Post by themilford » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:I'd be down for that. As long as you don't expect any Wakeman-style solos from me!
Absolutely not... but maybe some Rush-style block chords and arpeggiations though. ;)
GuyaGuy wrote: I guess those who wanted more from their Prophets have splurged on a P5. But now that those are in la-la land pricing, we may yet see some OS upgrades.
How much deeper is the P5 on features?

I'm not sure what else you could add to the Prophet 600 with what the interface has already... but an improvement of the Midi and maybe some snappier envelopes would please a lot of folks. Maybe a a wider range on the LFO and rate.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:21 pm

themilford wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote: I guess those who wanted more from their Prophets have splurged on a P5. But now that those are in la-la land pricing, we may yet see some OS upgrades.
I've not had a P5 but it seems like it's more feature swapping than deepening. (You lose a voice and MIDI but gain a noise generator,snappier analog envelopes and a more flexible wheel mod section.) I just meant that it seems like people start looking at improving affordable synths once the big boys get prohibitively expensive--like the JX mods once the Jupiters started getting too pricey.

KennaOkoye
Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Post by KennaOkoye » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:48 pm

The reason I got the Juno 106 was to make this sound... the pad in the very beginning... but I think P600 creapiness can get closer lol

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Post by themilford » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:05 pm

That sound very Juno-ish... I bet you could even do that on a Alpha Juno if I'm not mistaken. Prophet 600 might be a bit boorish to make a pad like that.

I don't mean to be a d**k but... um, what kind of music is this? Is this popular with the synth nerds? I'm an indie-rock-metalhead-new-wave-punk-burnout, and I'm old... so I don't understand this. Is it just crafty pop? Sorry.

I'm being sincere.

Cheers,
D

themilford

Post by themilford » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:12 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
themilford wrote:
I've not had a P5 but it seems like it's more feature swapping than deepening. (You lose a voice and MIDI but gain a noise generator,snappier analog envelopes and a more flexible wheel mod section.) I just meant that it seems like people start looking at improving affordable synths once the big boys get prohibitively expensive--like the JX mods once the Jupiters started getting too pricey.
From looking at the panel on the P5 it really didn't seem to include much more than the P600. I just assume before that it had many more waveforms and cross-modulation option, etc. I don't think it does.

Yeah, I think the JX3P had an upgrade a longish time ago... because I think Jupiter have always been prohibitively expensive.

Back to the OP. Did you just get the J106? Do you like it? Do you know about the voice chip issues and has yours been sussed out?

If you are happy with the 106 I bet a P600 would be nice other synth to have alongside it.... but maybe a Pro-One, Mopho or other mono might be better for you for basses and leads stuff since your kinda covered for pads with the Juno.

Also, I used a DSI TETR4 along with my friend's Alpha Juno and kinda had the best of both worlds until I got my P600.

KennaOkoye
Gear: Yamaha PSS-370, Roland Juno 106, Roland D50, Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Fat Strat

Post by KennaOkoye » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:42 pm

themilford wrote:That sound very Juno-ish... I bet you could even do that on a Alpha Juno if I'm not mistaken. Prophet 600 might be a bit boorish to make a pad like that.

I don't mean to be a d**k but... um, what kind of music is this? Is this popular with the synth nerds? I'm an indie-rock-metalhead-new-wave-punk-burnout, and I'm old... so I don't understand this. Is it just crafty pop? Sorry.

I'm being sincere.

Cheers,
D
Top 40 pop? lol no offense taken

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 am

minime123 wrote:we have beautiful examples of both in stock right now. personally, i prefer to p600 since its got more features (oscillator sync, 2 oscillators, 1 finger chord, poly mod). the juno-60 is a bit tighter and responds better to realtime knob movement and i feel sound quality is a little better, but would still choose the p600.
mini
You can actually do 1 finger chords with the Juno 60, although in a more limited way.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

KennaOkoye

Post by KennaOkoye » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 am

theotherleadingbrand wrote:
minime123 wrote:we have beautiful examples of both in stock right now. personally, i prefer to p600 since its got more features (oscillator sync, 2 oscillators, 1 finger chord, poly mod). the juno-60 is a bit tighter and responds better to realtime knob movement and i feel sound quality is a little better, but would still choose the p600.
mini
You can actually do 1 finger chords with the Juno 60, although in a more limited way.
Can you do that with a 106? ive seen the 1 finger chord online with 60s... how do u do it?

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:42 am

With a 106 you're out of luck in that department. To do one finger chords on the 60, play a chord and press the hold button. With the chord now being sustained press and hold down the key transpose button. You can now play one finger chords with your free hand while you have transpose held down. You will, however find that you are limited to one octave.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:38 am

themilford wrote: I wonder if the "slop" setting on the Prophet '08 can get close to the swirl of the P600? It seem from reports that the Evolver has even less so.
I've not owned a P600 (played one a ton), but I own P5 (v3.0) and sold a P08 (great board, just not for me), and IMO Slop was kinda over rated. Not what one would expect, at least I thought it would give a more driffty feel.

That being said the P600 is a great synth. I would sell my Juno 60 and get a P600 if I didn't have the P5, to have that sound.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Have all three (P600, P5 and Juno-60) - can't add much more to the already obvious differences, but I feel that the P600 could have been a bit smoother if SCI had bothered to add a real mixer, not just a balance knob, for the oscillators. If one was able to individually mix the oscillators, a la P5, then the smoother sounds could be coaxed out more easily.

Still, love it for what it is. With the new processors and third party OS upgrades being made for the Roland JP6, JP4, JU-60 and JX-3p (Europa, Io, Minerva and Kiwi), I'm hoping someone will tackle the P600 and give it a faster processor (or remove some useless code - like for the sequencer) so it could at least be on par with the Prophet T8 in terms of envelope speeds, knob response and LFO limitations (mainly speed).
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I've got a P5 and a P08. I've never played one, but I've been reading up on the P600. Can anyone direct me to some sound samples of the 'slow envelopes'?

Or better yet, can one of you P600 owners record some single osc. square wave bass timbres for me? The P08's envelopes for this task are way too clicky for me. I'm really intrigued as to how the P600 stacks up against the P5 for this....

themilford

Post by themilford » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 pm

This guy has some pretty good demos... not sure you'll glean any evidence but maybe.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Yeah, his stuff is great - the second video comes close to demonstrating what I'm looking for, but he's moving the knobs to much! Based on what I'm hearing there, it seems the P600 may not be able to get out of 'fuzzy' territory, even with the filter set low. The P5 filter has a sweet spot that cleans up pretty nice and if I mess with the pulse width, I can get a pretty damn close approximation of a P-Bass recorded direct. But here again, the filters on both of these machines are the same? Is saying that enough to assume I can create this particular sound on both?

themilford

Post by themilford » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah... the Prophet 600 kinda has that Rickenbacker 4001 growl. That's why it's such a good instrument for me. I basically use it take the place of the bass guitar.