Juno 106 vs Jupiter 4 vs Jupiter 6

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
wertpog

Re: Juno 106 vs Jupiter 4 vs Jupiter 6

Post by wertpog » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:05 am

edfunction wrote:the big downside (for me at least) is that i would have to play the keyboard too much, no midi for a poly is a pain for non keyboard heroes. could be different for you.
There are a couple of really nice, well priced midi mods available for the the JP4 that are surprisingly easy to fit (I was able to install mine and I'm usually terrible at this kind of thing).

The Io mod has more features (more patch storage, extra LFO) but costs more:

http://midipolis.blogspot.com/p/manuals.html

And the CHD Elekroservis mod (the one I have):

http://www.chd-el.cz/index.php?id=4#8-432

The JP4 is one of my favorite synths ever ever, it's looks so simple but it has a massive tonal range. The oscillators are huge sounding, and with the sub osc and ensemble you have a big old meat sausage in your hands.
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:15 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:106 over a Jupiter 6? Really? Bizarro twilight zone, IMHO.
This.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:35 pm

I have a semi-working 106 that I'd love to trade to anyone who's bored with their JP-6...
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:34 pm

these all are quite different sounding instruments all good in their own way. Jup 4 capable of quite a bit more monstrous tones, sort of like 2 SH2's in a box with some extra bits. Definitely the best of them IMO. I definitely don't think the Juno 106 is overated, but rather underated (though certainly I'd rather have a Juno 60 though). I have a Juno 106 with an MKS-7 (Juno 106 rack) slaved to it and believe me with that second osc things are brought to another level. Sounds brilliant. Everyone is frightened of the dreaded dead voice chip issue, but that can be dealt with pretty easily if not a lazy a*s. I love the liquidy tone of the 106, very round and silky. But in truth, I still want a Polysix ;)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:39 pm

philip wrote:106 is the best choice of all three. Just don't think about those one osc limitation and chip problems, sound that does make 106----is simply flawless. U can get out of this almost every analog sound u want,and make it really fast, and u want need any outboard effects,sound pretty amazing by itself. I prefer 106 to all polyanalogs exist.
i take it you've not played many polyanalogs. or modulars.
it's OK; you sound young yet.

astraeus000 wrote:these all are quite different sounding instruments all good in their own way.
indeed.
although the 106 and JP-6 are closer to the typical JX or MKS Roland 80s sound, while the JP-4 is more SH-inspired

i'd go for the JP-6 w/ a nice fx processor in the studio,
and the JP-4 for blasting it out live

re: BIG sound.
A lot of the later OB's perceived "size" is in the voice-panning. Apart from the discrete xVS and OB-X, I don't feel OBs are very "weighty" in the osc section. Sure, crank the filter resonance and go into unison and it's like smashing a wall with a tank, but then a JP-6 in unison should sound pretty thick and beefy as well.

Does the JP-6 have a Dual mode like the 8 does? This would enable some voice panning.
Trouble is in dual mode on the JP-6 your down to 3-note poly. You can get away with it on the JP-8 to make a fat 4-voice splitting 2-timbres left&right for width and variety, but on the 6 you're stuck w/ playing only root+5ths, or chord triads without a root bass note.

EDIT : after looking at some JP-6 pics it's not got dual outs like the JP-8.
Ah well. Layer/multitrack it - that's why the Europa-kit is so good here!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:49 am

shaft9000 wrote:although the 106 and JP-6 are closer to the typical JX or MKS Roland 80s sound, while the JP-4 is more SH-inspired
True to a point but I see the jup-4/juno-6/60/106 as part of a single lineage - I mean they are all practically identical architecturally. And all of the above share the same filter, so it makes it even harder to generalize (I know the early jup-4s used a different filter, so I guess they don't count :roll: ).
shaft9000 wrote: re: BIG sound.
A lot of the later OB's perceived "size" is in the voice-panning. Apart from the discrete xVS and OB-X, I don't feel OBs are very "weighty" in the osc section. Sure, crank the filter resonance and go into unison and it's like smashing a wall with a tank, but then a JP-6 in unison should sound pretty thick and beefy as well.
The obxa/ob8/jup-6 all use the same oscillators, but they really don't sound the same (to me)... the former do just sound bigger! Or bolder or more obtuse or something, but definitely different to the precise roland sound. All in the engineering apparently! :)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Calvary_band
Band: Jordan Passmore/Calvary

Post by Calvary_band » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:12 am

Rev. 1 Jupiter 4 sounds super great. Rev 2 is ok as well but much easier to find.

To me: Jupiter 4 Rev 1>Jup-6>Jupiter 4 Rev 2>106 . If you're not hardcore about sounding retro, switch the JP-6 and Rev 1 JP-4 there. The Jupiter 6 gets some flack for some reason but it is really great as you get a nice, versatile filter and stackable waveforms. The 106 and JP-4 are very limited in terms of utility compared to the JP6. I'd buy a decent VA over a 106. I have had all the synths in question (both revision Jupiter 4s, too).

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 pm

I have a 106 in marvelous condition. I'm the second owner, but the first owner never used it (well, twice) nor transported it.

I would definately take a JP-4 over JP-6, anyday. I'm really interested in a JP-4 actually, but they are rare in Sweden.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm

I'll trade my JP4 for your Prophet-5 :mrgreen:

- CM