Korg Mono/Poly vs SCI Pro One

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Re: Korg Mono/Poly vs SCI Pro One

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:55 am

I miss my old Mono/Poly! Luckily, I still have the Pro-One! :lol: Here's an excellent album featuring the 4-voice Korg we love: http://ninjatune.net/release/mono-poly/ ... tations-ep

Highly recommend by yours truly! :music:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:18 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:I miss my old Mono/Poly! Luckily, I still have the Pro-One! :lol: Here's an excellent album featuring the 4-voice Korg we love: http://ninjatune.net/release/mono-poly/ ... tations-ep

dope, thx for the link!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:35 am

The Mono-Poly is great! I do have both the Pro-One and the Polysix, but I think that the MP-4 is somewhat a mix between those two. In more than one aspect..

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 am

+1

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:18 pm

I wish I kept my monopoly. It is a fantastic synth, though I thought the filter to be a bit "meh." It makes up for it with killer tone, and some nifty modulations aspects. I love how the resonance howls on this board, much more "touchy" than most I have used.

My favorite thing to do on it was add some noise! Infact, when I think about it, it has been my favorite synth with a noise generator, when we are comparing noise generators between different keys that is. Most noise generators are garbage, or too polite I guess? The monopoly's noise is rougher, more static like. Made some killer detuned bass that could peel the paint from walls. <3

I guess if I find another one, and not at stupid ebay type prices, I may reaquire it. It is one keyboard that will keep you in front of it for some time.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 pm

i'd just like to add an important fact to this topic.

It has often been said that the Pro One destroys the mono/poly for bass. This is not really so. With all the oscillators set to saw/pwm and to 100% volume, then detuned, it will make a nice mid-range 80's analogue sound, but not really very bass-y or beefy, without EQuing and the like at least.

However, if you set VCO1 to a triangle wave and turn it up to 100%, then set all the other oscillators to 20% or 30% volume on PWM/Saw. Then, detune, and then turn up your master volume, you'll have a much bassier, beefier, sub-osc infused sound. Add the strong 24bd filter to taste, and you're pretty much into moog territory.

This is why the mono/poly is such an incredibly versatile box of tricks, it'll do anything from warm, phat froth (see above technique) to face melting sync, and cold resonant or cross-mod effects. I did my research and knew about these tricks before i bought one, even trying them on the VST version to see if the sound was something i could work with, and it's fair to say that with all the Oscs turned up it does lack low-end welly and i it might have put me off. This is why doing your research prior to getting a piece of gear is important! :)

Anyone can make a moog sound phat, the Mono/Poly is a lady who needs to be treated with a little finesse 8-)

dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 am

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:I miss my old Mono/Poly! Luckily, I still have the Pro-One! :lol: Here's an excellent album featuring the 4-voice Korg we love: http://ninjatune.net/release/mono-poly/ ... tations-ep

Thats awesome.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:58 pm

and you can check the prices in the usual place:
prophet-600
pro-one
korg monopoly

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 am

My mono/poly was just shy of £1000, a teeny bit pricey, but then again, it was fully serviced, recapped and the VCO's changed out. It now warms up in under 5 minutes and looks like it's just come out of the factory 1982!

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

I better leave this thread or else I'll end up buying another again! Such a versatile instrument, but pretty useless for chords as a poly! I used to do this with it:

0e0
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Post by 0e0 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:12 am

I find the mono/poly to be very limited for sound design despite it's 4 oscs.

Pro One all the way.

j

0=0

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50

Post by iProg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:31 am

Yesterday I got my Pro-One back from service with new keyboard bushings. It is a joy to play once again and no other mono synth is so mix-cutting and THICK (apart from the Minimoog)

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 pm

After having owned both the monopoly and a pro1, I would have to say I prefer the pro1. Much more aggreessive, and the bass sounds I get from it are INF better. I wouldnt actually consider selling the pro1, as the monopoly I got bored with pretty quickly. Whatever though, some things click better with other people.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:28 am

Question is...if you own a P5(like myself), would you need a Pro-One? I'm WTB a MP currently, thinking I had the Prophet sound covered, perhaps I've missed something.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:32 pm

bhrama wrote:Question is...if you own a P5(like myself), would you need a Pro-One? I'm WTB a MP currently, thinking I had the Prophet sound covered, perhaps I've missed something.
I use them both together a lot. With different mod sections and no patch memory you end up doing completely different sounds. And even compared to P5 in unison mode, the Pro-One is a lot fatter and has a harder sync sound.