Akai AX-60 vs. Juno 60

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Harp3
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Telecaster, various fx pedals

Akai AX-60 vs. Juno 60

Post by Harp3 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Hey everybody, I've been searching for a 2nd synth to complement my Akai Miniak, but also to help me learn basic synthesis as well. I posted awhile back for suggestions (and got some good ones) and I think I've narrowed my search down to these two---Just curious what people's thoughts were? Pro's and con's of each?

I wish I could throw the Prophet 600 in there as well, but that one is a bit out of my price range. Not to mention hard to find!

Thanks

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: Akai AX-60 vs. Juno 60

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:28 pm

it sort of depends what you want the synths for? what kind of music do you make?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Also, if the P600 is out of your price range, time to knock the J60 out too...
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Harp3

Post by Harp3 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Well, I guess that kinda answers that question. To answer your question, for fun I would like to do 80's-ish sci-fi soundtrack type stuff. I'm also currently playing guitar with two different bands and would like to add synth. One is an ambient/drone band and the other is a new waveish shoegazer band

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Try the Yamaha AN1x. It will be around the same price and will do a lot more.

Harp3

Post by Harp3 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out!

noha

Post by noha » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:43 am

the Juno-60 is one of the sweetest sounding and easiest to use keyboards out there. I can't imagine being sorry with a purchase of one.

orlando56
Gear: Prophet 600, MiniKorg 700, Juno 106, Polysix, Little Phatty II SE, Poly 800, MS20 Mini, Behringer D, KARP Odyssey
Band: Squirrel Damage

Post by orlando56 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 am

I used to own a Juno 60, which I foolishly sold (now have a 106, which is also nice after I acetoned the voice chips). I also have a (OK, I admit it, two) Prophet 600s. They are all over eBay, at wildly varying prices (be patient). They complement each other very well. The Prophet is lush and dark, the Juno is tight and sweet. If you want to do 80s soundtrack stuff, the Prophet is perfect for pads, but it's not so great for basslines and percussion. 60s seems to go for a premium these days (more consistently expensive than 600s). They don't do sync/crossmod sounds (due to only one oscillator), but they cover most other analog sounds very well. They also have a noise osc, which the Prophet doesn't -- good for percussion. On the other hand, the 600 has the Poly-Mod section, which can truly bring out the creepy-crawlies. Rather off-topic, as I know nothing about Akais. Best wishes for your music.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 am

AX-60!

Hows that for adjudication? ;)

For around $400 you can have an amazing synth. Z and I have extolled at length the virtues of the AX60.

The AX60 has much that the Juno doesn't.
VCOs
5 LFO wave settings (Up, Dn, Tri, Sqr, RND)
Separate rate/depth for PWM
PWM can effect ANY of the VCO waves not just square.
Keyboard SPLIT MODE (i.e.; multitimberal)
Arp works in split mode so you can play over an arpeggio.
Sampler 6-voice input, you can run vintage Akai samplers through the filter for a two-voice setup or Split mode.
CRAZY resonant filter.
Filter "MOD"

The only things I can think of that the Juno has over the AX60 is the Sub Osc, a Chord Memory and CV filter control.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:29 am

themilford wrote:AX-60!

Hows that for adjudication? ;)

For around $400 you can have an amazing synth. Z and I have extolled at length the virtues of the AX60.

The AX60 has much that the Juno doesn't.
VCOs
5 LFO wave settings (Up, Dn, Tri, Sqr, RND)
Separate rate/depth for PWM
PWM can effect ANY of the VCO waves not just square.
Keyboard SPLIT MODE (i.e.; multitimberal)
Arp works in split mode so you can play over an arpeggio.
Sampler 6-voice input, you can run vintage Akai samplers through the filter for a two-voice setup or Split mode.
CRAZY resonant filter.
Filter "MOD"

The only things I can think of that the Juno has over the AX60 is the Sub Osc, a Chord Memory and CV filter control.
Yep, all that is true.

Still sounds like c**p next to a JU-60 though. CEM3394s belong in video game machines, not synths. Any wonder why these sell for half that of Junos?

I miss my juno every day, AX60, not so much (I'm glad its gone actually)

Solid+1 for the juno (if its not obvious)

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Post by themilford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:46 am

Altitude wrote:
Still sounds like c**p next to a JU-60 though. CEM3394s belong in video game machines, not synths. Any wonder why these sell for half that of Junos?

They sell for a fraction because they went largely under the radar with little promotion... they also came out a bit later (1986) which was at the end of the line for a VCO synth.

I've been around both... and I also have a Prophet 600 and a Matrix 6. While it's not the beefy, bass beast that some other boards are it can make amazing sounds that I simply cannot get with any of my other boards... in fact it has made it's way onto almost every song on our forthcoming record... albeit mostly as double-tracks and overdubs to complement the Prophet 600

It's a fine sounding synth. And great if you don't need it to do single-note bass lines that shake the room. it's a great Polysynth and I think holds it's own next to the other single-osc-per-voice boards of the era.

I think a better bet would be to grab the AX60 AND the cheaper Alpha Juno (or JX3P even) and enjoy twice the palate for about the same or less money than a Juno 60.

Juno 60s like much Roland stuff (e.g.: TR606, RS-09, SH101) is OVERRATED hence OVERPRICED.

Z, back me up here. ;)

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 am

themilford wrote:... albeit mostly as double-tracks and overdubs to complement the Prophet 600
ah yes, the "it sounds fine with some processing!" argument :mrgreen:

themilford

Post by themilford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 am

Altitude wrote:
themilford wrote:... albeit mostly as double-tracks and overdubs to complement the Prophet 600
ah yes, the "it sounds fine with some processing!" argument :mrgreen:
Actually, no... I haven't used any processing on the AX-60 tracks (besides it's onboard chorus). What I meant by that is the AX60 is often used as an extra layer on top of the Prophet 600... usually I double every main Prophet 600 line (mono, up-the-center) with a similar but often more modulated or weird AX60 sound (stereo, hard-panned). And contrary to common wisdom I often use the Akai alone in spots where a mellower sound is needed over the P600.

But processing as in effects, no.

FWIW: I find the Akai generally needs less limiting/compression or volume automation than the P600. The Prophet really has an unruly higher-volume-to-higher-note ratio. The Akai, doesn't... it comes out of the box with a slightly more compressed and smooth sound across the octaves. Not sure how the Juno performs in this regard. I do remember the Juno 60 getting lost in the mix when I last had the pleasure of dealing with one.

themilford

Post by themilford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:09 am

If the AX60 just had a sub-oscillator I would't even need the P600.

If I was the keyboard player in a band with a bass player I wouldn't need the P600 either.

I will probably sell the P600 once I get Taurus pedals.

I love the P600 and it sounds HUGE but the limited modulation makes it a drag.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:21 pm

No that keen on the AX60, and I find the Juno 60 (any Juno) quite limiting but it does have a nice tone at least. Had an AX80 which sounded great at times, the extra OSC and sub gave a lot of possibilities, and it had 'nicer' chips - albeit still harsh and aggressive CEM vs Silky/rounded Roland IR3109.

JX-3P will always get my vote as it just has that something extra while still having the nice Roland Tone (or a version of it - not the exact Juno Tone). JX-8P not so much. Juno 106 = bleh.

Junos are over-priced so I don't recommend them, but they will sound nicer out of the gate over an AX60, esp for newcomers expecting a certain rounded/pleasing tone.