Juno60&Juno106vsJupiter8

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
philip

Juno60&Juno106vsJupiter8

Post by philip » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello everybody. I’ve been saving money for Jupiter 8 for some time, and it seems to me I just gave up (or maybe not). You know 5k....blablabla
So, just thinking here, maybe I should go for juno60 which is 800-1000$ these days, and mayby for some reasons it could be quite the same exept Ill have 1OSC instead of 2?
Or is it a completely different league and I should be patient and wait for my J8?

PS/I already have Juno 106
Last edited by philip on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Juno60vsJupiter8

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm in favour of the maths. Spending lots of money on a JP-8, versus spending a lot less on a Juno-60 (which then frees up any spare cash for many other lovely things) seems like a no-brainer from a practical point of view. The Jupe might well be great, but you can get a lot of other great stuff for the money they're fetching now.

I'd only go for the Jupe if you're absolutely, utterly, unfailingly dead set on one, and/or are the kind of person who (given the money) would buy a line-up of vintage Ferraris but never drive them except round your estate, at 15mph.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Some people claim that the later-revision Jupiter 4 is actually the closest you can get to the Jupiter 8. Since you already have a Juno 106, and don't want to spend huge money on a Jupiter 8, the Jupiter 4 might be a nice compromise.

philip

Post by philip » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

nathanscribe wrote: The Jupe might well be great, but you can get a lot of other great stuff for the money they're fetching now.
The thing is that I have all that other great stuff already. The question is-what am I loosing funcionaly buying Juno60 instead of j8?...

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 pm

philip wrote:The question is, what am I losing functionally buying Juno60 instead of JP8?...
  • 2 more voices
  • Discrete VCO's which are never quite perfectly in tune
  • Triangle VCO waveform
  • Any 2 VCO per voice functionality, such as Detuning and Range, Oscillator Sync and Crossmod(including low freq. mode modulation and noise modulation)
  • Polyphonic Portamento
  • That frickin' badass 2 pole filter that rocks for brass and big synthy PWM string sounds
  • Slider instead of vertical multi-switch for Highpass cutoff
  • The second envelope
  • Key follow attenuation for envelope
  • VCO pitch modulation by envelope
  • Unison mode (16 oscillators not quite in tune with one another) that can sound like this:
  • Upper/Lower dual or split mode, optionally separated with XLR or unbalanced outputs and performance presets for these modes
  • More patch storage
  • Random arpeggio(meh, big deal)
Juno 60 gives you a sub-oscillator, self-oscillating filter, separate mixable noise source, tighter arpeggiation and the infamous chorus.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Well yes, there's a definite gap in functionality. So it's a question of whether you want the functions or the sound, and whether the spend is worth it. I've heard from someone whose opinion I trust and who's had both at least once that the Juno 60 comes close in terms of basic sound to the Jupe 8. But you could try a modern poly like the DSI Prophet 08 and get functionality on a stick, never mind a warranty and 20 years of future use. Your money, your call.

FWIW, I do have a late Jupe 4 and it's a great synth - when it works. You buy vintage, you get all its weaknesses as well as its strengths.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:36 pm

And speaking of maintenance, a major contributing factor in selling my JP8 a while back was the maintenance issues I was starting to face with it. That and the fact that it was just sitting in a corner gathering dust. Seemed like I could put that money to good use. I sold it to the band Cyborg, from the federal district in Mexico, after it sat in the VSE for-sale forum for nearly 2 months without a decent offer.

With the $3400, rather low considering what I see them typically move for, I got a brand new quad-core PC, NI Komplete 7, an Oberheim patch-panel SEM, a Bellari tube/optical compressor with a parts upgrade, a Boss RPS-10 BBD pitch/delay, two Moog CP-251's, a Mackie 12 channel mixer, and I still had enough left over for some more cables from Monoprice and a few hundred dollars for monthly expenses.

Do I miss it? Sure. There's nothing quite as smooth with that lovely phasing of detuned oscillators like it does. But it wasn't getting the love it deserved and I found I didn't really need that sound. More of a luxury: It sounds a bit too nice, really. More of a performance synth too, and I'm no performer.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:15 am

Except for the arpeggiator, the Juno-60 is going to be pretty similar to the 106 that you already have. (The 106 has the polyphonic portamento; I don't recall if the 60 has it or not.) If the J8 is really what you want, a Juno-60 isn't going to scratch that itch.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:53 am

nathanscribe wrote:FWIW, I do have a late Jupe 4 and it's a great synth - when it works.
So what's your take on the "Jp4 is closest you can get to Jp8" line? True or BS?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 am

CfNorENa wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:FWIW, I do have a late Jupe 4 and it's a great synth - when it works.
So what's your take on the "Jp4 is closest you can get to Jp8" line? True or BS?
I don't have a JP-8, so can't comment from experience on a direct comparison. It sounds nothing like the Junos though, it's rougher and ballsier, and the modulation potential is greater. The chorus is weaker. Polyphony is limited, and there's clearly no 2nd osc, so no detune, memories are limited, interfacing is poor, and you only get a 4-oct keyboard. What you do get is a surprisingly weighty sound for a 1-osc-plus-sub machine, with a nice arpeggiator and useful performance/modulation controls.

My suspicion is that the Jupe 4 and Jupe 8 sound quite different, and the functions available on each are quite different, and that as a result they're not going to be that similar, except in a "Roland VCO poly" way.

It'd be interesting to compare the JP-8 and JX-10, more than a JP-4. The JX-10 (preferably with a PG-800) is going to give much more than a JU-60 in the OP's case, for possibly less money, or at least similar money - and still for a lot less than a JP-8.

philip

Post by philip » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:37 am

And btw I didn't mention I've got JX8p+PG800 as well.

philip

Post by philip » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:07 pm

So, I think I should thank all of you guys for your help. Indeed, who could guess 10-15 years ago that J8 will cost such amount of money and called «the king of synth».
However, from what u have been saying I think that J8 is exactly what I need (a good sounding performance synth and arpegiator). I’m gonna put my arms on that one day, but tomorrow I will bid on a juno 60 and we’ll see what’s it gonna lead to.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:18 am

Juno-60s are SUPER overpriced these days... I mean stupidly so... if you want THAT sound, get a juno-6 or 106... Or, just get a nice VA and whatever Boss chorus will give you that chorus sound. OR get a alpha-juno and do the same thing. Buying one as a "cheap" Jupiter-8 just doesn't make sense to me... Maybe when they were $300, but not now.
Do you even post on vse bro?

philip

Post by philip » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:29 am

Yeh, This is kind of a sad joke : I’ve been saving money for Jupiter 8 but then Ive died

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 am

Agreed on the Juno 60's being incredibly overpriced these days. In my opinion I don't think it's worth purchasing a Juno 60 at this time. But hey, it's ultimately up to you. ;)