Juno60&Juno106vsJupiter8

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Juno60vsJupiter8

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Juno-60s are SUPER overpriced these days... I mean stupidly so... if you want THAT sound, get a juno-6
yeah i saw one that was mint-y on EBay for over $1500...not that it will sell for that but, that is close to what they cost new in 1982 ffs and it's going to need work on the caps at least

unless you need it as a live board, or as the only MIDI-able analogue poly in your studio (via the DCB) then skip the 60 and get the 6. it only takes 5-10 seconds to dial in the sound on a synth so limited.
i scored a juno6 for $300 bucks about 4 yrs ago on craigslist - one bum key and a few dings, but otherwise 100%. so keep an eye out.

the JP-8 cost me almost 20x that.
no, it can't really do 10x more but it does sound big and lush and deep in ways the juno can't. the juno sounds big and lush in one way - with chorus on. some nice sounds can be made with the chorus off, but then you're leagues away from a JP-8 in dual mode - which needs no chorus whatsoever!

they ARE from the same family and share many components in the VCF, EG and VCA, so in this sense you do get some character of the JP-8 in the 6/60s; mostly the EG snap and 24dB filter behavior.
This similarity is not so much in the 106 as they sound more like the JX line; more metallic and always that DCO 'stiffness'(stability) to the tuning. the JP-8 is rather unique in that it was a very refined extension of the SH-sound - less raw and drifty but still very analog. Those VCOs never made into anything other than the JP-8 so it's core sound is unique.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Maybe a Jupiter 6 would come closer than a Juno 60?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 pm

If you already have a 106, a 60 is a complete waste of money because it sounds exactly the same except for the very minor bass eq difference. Just thought I'd point that out again. If it's the arp you're after, splash out on an OB Cyclone.

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Somebody has mentioned getting a Jupiter 6 and I'll add the MKS80 to that.........I don't wish to get into a 'it's not really a Jupiter 8 in a rack' argument but it's nearly there, has the Jupiter sound and has good MIDI spec whilst still being full of lovely, real VCO's!
Jonny Jones

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 pm

a Jupiter 6 doesn't sound at all like a Jupiter 8, but then again neither does a Juno 60. (i've owned both, Jupiter 6 and Juno 60.. not a Jupiter 8, but I've played with one quite a bit)

but, you know what the Juno 60 does sound very similar to? ...a Juno 106, because they're almost identical.

Personally I find them to be highly overrated and currently very overpriced for such a simple (i.e. featureless) DCO synth. The difference in sound between the 60 and the 106 is negligible, but it sounds like you're more of a collector and if you're into collecting Roland polysynths, then sure, why not.. buy two, although three Junos won't get you any closer to the Jupiter 8 sound.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Wait, didn't the OP already acknowledge he had a 106 and the differences with the JP8 were worth saving up for?

The problem with the JP8 is not just the ever increasing demand or its uniqueness, but its scarcity. Not that many of them to go around. Part of the reason I sold mine was because it was just sitting in the studio collecting dust. I concluded this to be a tragedy and sold it to someone who really loves it and uses it in performances and broadcast.
<biased-opinion>
  • It needs to be played by a skilled performer to really benefit from its interface design and it deserves to appear in good music. I can't say the same for the MKS-80 or the JP6, although the latter is a h**l of a lot of fun to f**k around with.
</biased-opinion>

Why buy the good china if you are only going to dine on macaroni and cheese with boxed wine?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 am

Solderman wrote:The problem with the JP8 is not just the ever increasing demand or its uniqueness, but its scarcity. Not that many of them to go around. Part of the reason I sold mine was because it was just sitting in the studio collecting dust
Very similar story to me. I ended up selling mine to Jody @ Way Out West because I couldnt justify the expense. He used it on the album 'We Love Machine'....

Check out the song 'Future Perfect' ( ):

@ 31secs - JP8 1st bass
@ 33secs - JP8 inverted lead
@ 1min 2secs - JP8 high pass string pad (heavily processed)
@ 1min 48secs - JP8 high pass swosh string (heavily processed)
@ 2min 35secs - JP8 chord stabs
@ 2min 37secs - JP8 inverted sync lead (heavily processed with feedback)
@ 3min 04secs - JP8 twinkle lead (with short lfo delay on filter/vca)
@ 3min 50secs - JP8 twang lead
@ 4min 06secs - JP8 2nd bass
@ 5min 07secs - Prophet 5 sync lead (factory preset)

The whole album uses Jupiter 8 and Prophet 5. Which kinda makes me regret selling the two synths.

To answer the question of the original poster....I think the Jupiter 8 is an amazing synth....but its way over priced. Ive owned several over the years (my first one cost me £1k, 2nd £1800, 3rd £3000). But now they go for silly money £4-£5k in average condition. When I look at the ones listed on eBay I think they look really shitty and almost certainly are being sold because they have an intermittent issue which can no longer be fixed. If you have £5k to burn and you can afford to lose it then Id say go for it (you only live once). But if parting with that sort of money is going to cause hot sweats at night...then Id say leave it.

Both the Roland Juno and JX command silly prices. In my view you'd be far better off buying something like a DSi Prophet 08 and investing in some analog effects (maybe a moog chorus/phaser) or some vintage ones. Vintage effects really add the tonality your looking for.

Thats just my opinion...
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:51 am

The Juno-60 is a h**l of a bargain, I've used it a lot and it indeed has the same VCF circuit as the JP-8.

It has great sounds and a way more "analog feel" than the 106.

But the mighty Jupiter-8 is something completely different in character and sound. It sounds like it's running on gasoline. If I had the cash, I'd buy one any day. Buy a Juno-60 and save the rest of the cash, and then when a mint JP-8 shows up, sell the Juno-60 and you will be able to afford the JP-8 without having missed the Juno-60!

dlp1
Gear: Roland JX-10, Gulbransen Series 400, Monotrons, VSTs, Logic Pro, SWR Redhead, tape-decks.
Arnold Schnitzer double-bass, Warwick Corvette fretless.

Post by dlp1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:00 am

Hi.
I thought this might be helpful to see what components some of these synths share.
Roland custom IC's

David

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:23 am

iProg wrote:The Juno-60 is a h**l of a bargain, I've used it a lot and it indeed has the same VCF circuit as the JP-8.
Few days later... iProg, F/S, Vintage Juno 60, AWESOME! ;)
bonne chance

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:10 pm

iProg wrote:The Juno-60 is a h**l of a bargain, I've used it a lot and it indeed has the same VCF circuit as the JP-8.
If that's true, then so does the Juno 106, apart from the bass boost. Which is easily done with eq.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50

Post by iProg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 am

madtheory wrote:
If that's true, then so does the Juno 106, apart from the bass boost. Which is easily done with eq.
The 106 does not share filter circuit with Juno-60 and JP-8. It has the same sub oscillator though.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

iProg wrote:The 106 does not share filter circuit with Juno-60 and JP-8. It has the same sub oscillator though.
Actually Juno 106 VCO, VCF and VCA are nearly identical to the Juno 60. I say nearly because there are some slight differences with buffering etc. that you can compensate for by setting the filter slightly lower on the 106 compared to the 60. But taken on its own the VCF circuit is identical.
http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2008/10/ ... -from.html

So can you prove that the 60 and 8 have similarities?
Last edited by madtheory on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:30 pm

I've used the Juno-60 a lot and the filter is much more thick and gruntier, reminiscent of the filter circuits in the JP-8. Don't know the numbers, but some of the circuits are the same.
Last edited by iProg on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Well "more thick and gruntier" sounds like a description of a bass boost...