Juno60&Juno106vsJupiter8

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Juno60vsJupiter8

Post by Solderman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Take this for what you will, but it always bugged me that the Juno and Jupiter were nearly the same size, yet the Juno is so much more limited. It always bugged me, anyway.

Someone was talking about how much warmer and more pleasant the JP8 and Juno 6/60 sound than other Roland polysynths with the IR3109. I can't remember where I read it, but it seems the highpass filter used by both, which is after the voice mix, is partly responsible for this desirable tonality, regardless of its cutoff setting.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 am

Solderman wrote:Take this for what you will, but it always bugged me that the Juno and Jupiter were nearly the same size, yet the Juno is so much more limited. It always bugged me, anyway.
Don't know about the earlier Junos, but in the 106, they left room for the power amp and speakers for the 106S/HS-60 configuration. And, that was about the time when miniaturization of the electronics was approaching the point where the panel space required for the controls would exceed the internal room needed for the circuitry.
Someone was talking about how much warmer and more pleasant the JP8 and Juno 6/60 sound than other Roland polysynths with the IR3109. I can't remember where I read it, but it seems the highpass filter used by both, which is after the voice mix, is partly responsible for this desirable tonality, regardless of its cutoff setting.
The highpass filter thing was something I started. Here's the deal: The Juno-60 and 106 both use a set of passive RC circuits for the highpass filter (the IR3109 is not used in the highpass filter). On the 60, highpass position 0 is bypass; positions 1, 2, and 3 bring in progressively higher cutoff frequencies. On the 106, position 0 is a bass boost. Position 1 is bypass. Positions 2 and 3 are high pass with 3 having a higher cutoff frequency. I don't know for sure that this accounts for the tonality differences between the 60 and the 106, but it's the only audio circuitry difference that I know of between them.

I haven't looked closely at the Juno-6's highpass filter, so I can't say much about it. I know it's continuously variable rather than having the four settings. IIRC, on the Jupiter-8, the VCFs are switchable to high pass mode; there isn't a separate high pass filter.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:40 pm

How about getting a second Juno 106 - or perhaps better? a Juno 60 with a MIDI retrofit - and MIDi the two together. It won't get you a Jupiter, but it will get you a two oscillator Roland polysynth, and having two independent filters could be interesting.
Free the Jupiter 8!

philip

Juno60&juno106 vsJupiter8

Post by philip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 am

Alright.I got the Juno 60.

Now there is a new dilemma, do I need JP8 having those two? :lol:
Last edited by philip on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

philip

Post by philip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 am

Sweep wrote:How about getting a second Juno 106 - or perhaps better? a Juno 60 with a MIDI retrofit - and MIDi the two together. It won't get you a Jupiter, but it will get you a two oscillator Roland polysynth, and having two independent filters could be interesting.
It would be interesting to do this, had anybody such an experience?

THEODICY

Re: Juno60&Juno106vsJupiter8

Post by THEODICY » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:11 am

Yes, me. And there is this:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Juno60&Juno106vsJupiter8

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Such a great filter in the 106. Really cool to hear how good two of them in parallel are at vocal formants.