Korg KP3 VS Microsampler

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Lyncaster

Korg KP3 VS Microsampler

Post by Lyncaster » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:42 am

Hi. I currently want a sampler to 
•Sample my MoPho/Sk-1
•Add effects to other gear
•I do not need it for live purposes, as I Would most likely sample them before hand. The effects tweaking would be live, though.

I can't spend over $300.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Korg KP3 VS Microsampler

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 am

They're both quite different. Do you want to play from keys or use a midi keyboard? Destroy s**t, or just tweak it?
bonne chance

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm

-- For adding effects, KP3 wins. Even though the effects are all presets you have more real-time control over them. There's menu diving involved using the MS for effects.

-- For sampling, MS wins. Longer sample times, more samples in memory, more editing (but not much more)

-- For live playback of the samples, KP3 only holds 4 at a time but can reload more (slowly) from SD card. MS holds many more samples but can only reload from a computer

My thoughts:

If all the sampling will be done at home, I'd just use a computer.

If live sample playback is the main application, I'd get the MS.

If live effect processing is the main application, I'd get KP3.

If I could choose a non-Korg product, I think the Roland SP-404SX splits the difference between the two...better sample playback than KP3, better FX processor than MS, can hold a few hours of samples on SD card with zero load time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:30 pm

in addition to what meatball said, something you clearly need to decide is whether you want to be able to loop either multiple loops, or layer loops together, or dont need loops at all

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 pm

meatballfulton wrote:-- For adding effects, KP3 wins. Even though the effects are all presets you have more real-time control over them. There's menu diving involved using the MS for effects.

-- For sampling, MS wins. Longer sample times, more samples in memory, more editing (but not much more)

-- For live playback of the samples, KP3 only holds 4 at a time but can reload more (slowly) from SD card. MS holds many more samples but can only reload from a computer

My thoughts:

If all the sampling will be done at home, I'd just use a computer.

If live sample playback is the main application, I'd get the MS.

If live effect processing is the main application, I'd get KP3.

If I could choose a non-Korg product, I think the Roland SP-404SX splits the difference between the two...better sample playback than KP3, better FX processor than MS, can hold a few hours of samples on SD card with zero load time.
Answer my question, then use this to decide which is best!
bonne chance

Lyncaster

Post by Lyncaster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:53 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:They're both quite different. Do you want to play from keys or use a midi keyboard? Destroy s**t, or just tweak it?
I want to sample my MoPho and record loops on the fly.
By sample my MoPho I mean sample a sound and play it across the keyboard so I can play another sound on it. And ad effects to my Drum Thing.

Lyncaster

Post by Lyncaster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 am

Oh and record YouTube clips, quotes, background noise, etc, and chop it up, and I know the MicroSampler can do this.

Lyncaster

Post by Lyncaster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 am

And layer loops as well

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:20 am

Lyncaster wrote:I want to sample my MoPho and record loops on the fly.
Pretty sure the Microsampler can't do that.
Lyncaster wrote:By sample my MoPho I mean sample a sound and play it across the keyboard so I can play another sound on it.
Pretty sure the KP3 can't do that.

Lyncaster

Post by Lyncaster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:36 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Lyncaster wrote:I want to sample my MoPho and record loops on the fly.
Pretty sure the Microsampler can't do that.
Lyncaster wrote:By sample my MoPho I mean sample a sound and play it across the keyboard so I can play another sound on it.
Pretty sure the KP3 can't do that.
Ah. If the MS cant do it on the fly I'd just record it befor hand. I'm too young to play live (15)..
Given that, the MS is prob the best solution?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:52 am

Sounds like it, but to be sure you should download the manuals to both and have a read to find out exactly what you can do with them. That'll give you a head start when you get one as well.

Lyncaster

Post by Lyncaster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:38 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Sounds like it, but to be sure you should download the manuals to both and have a read to find out exactly what you can do with them. That'll give you a head start when you get one as well.
This is just "What if" question, but would buying an audio interface and a midi keyboard with a sampler/effects be the easiest/cheapest/better option?

koneyn
Gear: Yamaha DX7 IID, Korg ESX-1, Korg X3R, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Post by koneyn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Loading prepared samples/loops on KP3 in a live situation can be downright annoying and painfully slow. If you have a (maximum) 4-bar loop on each of the four banks, loading a set takes a whole minute on average.

Recording a loop to one of the banks erases the existing one on the same bank. Also, even if synced to another device via MIDI, the loop tends to drift, eventually it will audibly fall out of tempo by 5 minutes.

KP3 can be so fun, but has some quite serious limitations. But if you stick to playing with effects in live performance, like you've said, then it's maybe the best choice.

Lyncaster

Post by Lyncaster » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 am

Ah, alright. I think I'm just gonna get an audio interface and a keyboard.

Instrument Panel

Post by Instrument Panel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:33 pm

I saw this video for a microsampler workaround to use it as a sort of live looper:

I guess whether it's any use or not would depend on what exactly you're trying to do.