LinnDrum LN-2 vs Drumtraks Feature Comparison

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

LinnDrum LN-2 vs Drumtraks Feature Comparison

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:05 am

I was told by one guy that they both sound the same. I was told by another guy that the LinnDrum is dirtier. It seems as though the Linndrum (LN-2) goes for a lot more money than a drumtraks on that crappy auction site but I'm not sure why. I have a drumtraks but I have the opportunity to buy a LinnDrum for the same price I can sell my drumtraks for. I'm just not sure what the advantages are between them. Please help.

I really like how i can tune all the drums on the drumtraks but I just found out that I cant tune a lot of the drums on the linndrum, is this a deal breaker for me? Or does the Linndrum have different bass hits and snares? One way to get away from cheezy 80 sounds is to tune my drumtraks drums. I don't really like extreme 80 drums.

Please help me compare the features of these two. I mean, I know what the drumtraks is all about already but I want to know more about the LinnDrum. I thought I read somewhere that you are only limited to two bars of recording on the LinnDrum. Is there a work around so all my beats can be longer than that?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: LinnDrum LN-2 vs Drumtraks Feature Comparison

Post by Z » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 am

To me, the main difference between the two are the sounds. Yes, the DrumTraks has a dated 80s sound, but is still useful for funk. To me, the LinnDrum's sounds are much more timeless.

The LM-2 probably has twice the available drum sounds as the DrumTraks. Kick, Snare (tunable), Sidestick (tunable, but along with snare unless you get it modded by Forat), Open and Closed Hi-Hat (with adjustable decay), 3 toms (independently tunable), 2 congas (independent tuning), tambourine, cabassa, claps, cowbell, ride and crash.

While the DrumTraks has MIDI, making it easier to integrate into a modern rig, you can still synch the LM-2 to MIDI with clock converters or you can get MIDI added by Forat. The LM-2 also has 5 trigger inputs and a CV input for the snare pitch.

I know the LM-2's patterns default as 2 4/4 bars, but I'm sure you can change that. I've never programmed anything but 2x 4/4 patterns on mine.

I also like the mixer controls on the LM-2 rather than the slight menu diving on the DrumTraks

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for the thorough review. The Linndrum sounds like it will be nice. The main deal breaker was that someone on youtube said the kick and snare werent tunable. but if they are, sweet! I havent noticed the 80s sound of thr drumtraks. i think it sounds rather decent. Maybe thats because all i play is funk. I guess I will have to see if I like the Linndrum sounds. its nice to hear that they are different.

When I think of crappy 80s drum sounds on a drum machine I think of the Roland TR505 and 707. Those sre terrible to me. I wish u could tune them. The drumtracks seeems to be miles beyond them sonically.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:17 pm

The LM-2's kick is not tunable, but the snare is. The stock LinnDrum sounds are very recognizable. Think of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" and Jan Hammer's "Crocket's Theme". I've got an extra LM-2 for sale on eBay. I was planning to make a video to embed in the auction of it since there is an issue with the ride cymbal. If I make the video, I'll post it here. I'll demonstrate the tuning since that is a concern for you.

I'm not a big TR-505 fan, but the 707 has a nice beefy tone. My group of friends' first drum machine was a TR-626 back in '88. Its sounds are based on the 505, but there's twice as many sounds and they're all tunable +/- around 7 semitones. I picked one up 4 years ago on CL for $20 and like using it from time to time because it's battery powered.

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm

how about a korg DDD-1 or DDD-5 with the lin rom from here: http://korgdddmods.angelfire.com/KORG_D ... tpage.html

how would that compare Z?

EDIT: found a soundclip http://korgdddmods.angelfire.com/mp3/LINNdemoddd.mp3
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Sounds OK. Maybe it's the programming, but it sounds real choppy. I dunno. I've heard good stuff in the Listening Lounge by VSE'rs using LM-2 sample packs that sound great. There is something smooth and organic about programming the LinnDrum much like programming an acutal TR-808.

I'm planning to ditch all my PCM based drum machines except for my LM-2 once I decide on a suitable sampler to fit my needs.

Getting off topic a little, I've always loved using the Roland R8-M. I wish there was a way to put a new ROM with samples from vintage digital drum boxes like people have done with the Alesis HR-16s and other lower end late 80s drum machines.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:35 am

Well, I decided togo through with getting the LN-2 today. I hate it. It's is like a drumtraks with less features and no midi. You can give me all the "yeah buts" in the world but it doesn't make up for the lack of tuneable cymbols, kick drums, claps, cowbells, etc. Terrible. That is a crippling "feature". It causes the LinnDrum to have an extreme lack of versatility. My drumtraks blows the linndrum away sonically. I can't believe people will pay more money for a Linndrum than a Drumtraks. They must all be smokin grade a PCP because the Linndrum is junk (comparatively speaking).

I will give my Linndrum away for a steal at $700 to anyone who wants it. I definitely wont ever turn it on again. I'm so disapointed.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:51 am

Sorry to hear you don't like the LinnDrum. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own taste. I did make a video of the LinnDrum I'm selling today (actually sold it to a local acquaintence), but having a difficult time uploading it to YouTube. My first video was 9GB (4min long, 720p .mov) that was taking forward to upload. I've been trying other file formats, but the quality isn't so good.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:09 am

How much did you sell yours for?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I got $700 for mine. Damn, you're is mint. $700 is a steal for yours.

Here's the video I made:
[youtube][/youtube]

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 am

Yeah. I know. I have a lot of people wanting it on the forums. I just want to get it out of the house quick and get something else new. FYI - I also posted a video of all the sounds of mine in the selling forum. Its kind of a crappy demo because I really don't know how to use it yet, but i cover all the sounds and the tuning ranges. Your video is nice. Thanks.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

Z wrote:Sorry to hear you don't like the LinnDrum. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own taste. I did make a video of the LinnDrum I'm selling today (actually sold it to a local acquaintence), but having a difficult time uploading it to YouTube. My first video was 9GB (4min long, 720p .mov) that was taking forward to upload. I've been trying other file formats, but the quality isn't so good.

Nine GIGS?!
bonne chance

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:07 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Z wrote:Sorry to hear you don't like the LinnDrum. Everyone is certainly entitled to their own taste. I did make a video of the LinnDrum I'm selling today (actually sold it to a local acquaintence), but having a difficult time uploading it to YouTube. My first video was 9GB (4min long, 720p .mov) that was taking forward to upload. I've been trying other file formats, but the quality isn't so good.

Nine GIGS?!
Yep, first I saved it as a .mov, which was 9GB. The quality was aswesome, but even my computer kept hiccuping trying to play it from the HD. I tried other formats that were smaller, but the quality wasn't too good. I finally settled on a .wmv file.

Even through I've been making YouTube vidz sine 2008, I've only been editing for a couple of years now. My 2008 vidz were all shot with a JVC HD7, live with no editing and I'd upload the file from the camera. In 2009, I started using my old Sony VX-2000 but would run the firewire straight into the computer and starting and stopping the capture manually. In 2010, I was still using this method to record, but doing simple editing in Windows Movie Maker. Last year, I bought a Zoom Q3HD and later a Canon T3i, which both save their files as .mov which won't work in Movie Maker. I used Vegas Movie Studio to edit the LinnDrum video, which has many options to choose for saving your rendered project. My editing skills still suck, so please bear with me. At least I'm using decent lighting, tripods and direct line inputs instead of the camera's mics.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 am

Z wrote:
Yep, first I saved it as a .mov, which was 9GB. The quality was aswesome, but even my computer kept hiccuping trying to play it from the HD. I tried other formats that were smaller, but the quality wasn't too good. I finally settled on a .wmv file.
Data rate was too high, which .mov codec were you using?

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:11 am

Ah, sorry to hear you didn't dig the LM-2. It's a classy machine (though honestly overpriced these days), but I still think I prefer the sound of the LM-1.

Great idea above w/ the DDD-1 w/ cards suggestion, but maybe what you're truly looking for is a TOM w/ as many carts as you can find. I only first picked one up a few ago, and I'm continually inspired by it. Tight. :ugeek: