Analog Solutions Leipzig VS. Arturia MiniBrute

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Analog Solutions Leipzig VS. Arturia MiniBrute

Post by madrasputin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:08 am

The Leipzig is an amazing monosynth and there's no doubt about it. It's got a great tone and it's got a great low end rumble that's very sweet to the ears. However, the new Arturia MiniBrute is looking to be equally amazing and at half the cost (499.00 USD) of the Leipzig. I would have versus-ed lol the MiniBrute against a Moog MG-1 even but the Leipzig is a current contender so let's stick with that one. Opinions? Which is the better of the two to you all? If you haven't heard the MiniBrute yet, look it up via youtube or Nova Musik's web site. They both have the NAMM video of it.
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Analog Solutions Leipzig VS. Arturia MiniBrute

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:31 pm

pardon the pointed question, sir, but how is anyone here going to have a valid opinion about a synth that has not been released yet?

oh! ....i forgot;
maybe, just maybe an insider with an advance production model will show up. an insider that happens to also have a leipzig to boot. and maybe he or she just happens to be a patient, impartial, objective-as-humanly-possible judge of whatever musical instrument is thrust before them - but I'm not holding my breath on that one, either.
how else is this gonna happen, realistically?

whoops I forgot about the totally bitchin' scientifically feasible YouTube shootout. Oh-Kaaaay.

...or maybe.... we'll just get yet another thread chock-full of murky speculation about a synth that no one has.
the old cynic in me would bet on the latter, but then I do like to be surprised once in a while.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Old cynics FTW.

I vote we compare shoes and cheese with the next Dr Who.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madrasputin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm

That is a valid and I would have to say correct response. I didn't think about the fact that it isn't out yet being a factor. I had watched the youtube videos of the MiniBrute and I do own a Leipzig but haven't used it much. Kudos old cynics FTW lol.
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm

No worries.
maybe you can use this opportunity to really dig into the Leipzig and report back to us what you like about it?
I'll admit to being interested in them but not quite enough to take the plunge. what little I've heard so far suggests that that synth can rip pretty damn well.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Leipzig has more than one VCO, right? That's a big limitation of MiniBrute, no matter how wonderful it might turn out to be in the flesh.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madrasputin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah the Leipzig is a dual VCO synth. It's a great sounding synthesizer with a lot of punch and low tones to die for. The Leipzig also has a great LFO that you can detune to at minimum and maximum setting it bumps up and down one octave. Kinda cool in my opinion. It's filter is sweet too. Great LPF and a very decent BPF as well. The MiniBrute does only have one OSC. So yeah, that's limiting. I think I like the idea because it basically mimics the older Moogs that everyone drools over for some silly reason that had one OSC like the MG-1 and the Rogue and the MiniBrute being a new synthesizer still costs less than those two on ebay or other rape me for a name brand sites.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 pm

The Rogue and MG were 2-osc.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 am

Well, I don't have a Leipzig, but I have played a Minibrute.
If only we could combine.

Monosynths are limited by a single oscillator when they don't have functionality to manipulate the oscillator. The Minibrute is brimming with waveform modulation, and as such, have a delicious breadth of timbre.
Unless you're really jazzed about detuning. More so than timbral variance.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 am

but I have played a Minibrute.
Me too, just this week-end for a short live act.

About the single oscillator, the Ultrasaw of the MB can easy create the slight detune of two (or three) oscillators in unisson. And the Metalizer of the triangle wave can approach the spirit of two synced oscillos.

And ok, the Metalizer is not a sync, but the sync function of a two osc synth can't product the sounds of this feature of the MiniBrute.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 pm

iirc it uses wavefolding in the 'metalization' - which makes me wonder why not just call it a wavefolder?

eliminate the 'hold my hand' association with sync, ringmod and xmod so people know what wavefolding does - essentially an additive process as the simple tri wave gains complex harmonics; in contrast to using a filter on a harmonically complex wave such as saw.

fuuuck...there i go, nitpicking. damn you all.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madrasputin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm

nathanscribe wrote:The Rogue and MG were 2-osc.
That's correct. Sorry about that slip of the fingers lol. They were two OSC. The minibrute has a lot of waveshaping possibilities however as has been pointed out and I like the sounds I've heard so far from it. I will be grabbing one due to my love of analog monosynths.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 pm

madrasputin wrote:Yeah the Leipzig is a dual VCO synth. It's a great sounding synthesizer with a lot of punch and low tones to die for. The Leipzig also has a great LFO that you can detune to at minimum and maximum setting it bumps up and down one octave. Kinda cool in my opinion. It's filter is sweet too. Great LPF and a very decent BPF as well. The MiniBrute does only have one OSC. So yeah, that's limiting. I think I like the idea because it basically mimics the older Moogs that everyone drools over for some silly reason that had one OSC like the MG-1 and the Rogue and the MiniBrute being a new synthesizer still costs less than those two on ebay or other rape me for a name brand sites.
have you played with a Leipzig? For me the demos available are inconclusive...

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:07 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Monosynths are limited by a single oscillator when they don't have functionality to manipulate the oscillator. The Minibrute is brimming with waveform modulation, and as such, have a delicious breadth of timbre.
Unless you're really jazzed about detuning. More so than timbral variance.
"psssst, your east-coast garters are showing, Mr. Doty" ;)

hey what about x-mod, sync and the almighty linearFM ...that's a world of timbres unavailable to all those one-osc jobs... and even (sadly) most 2-osc and 3-osc synths as implemented. An LFO that 'can go audio rate' will hardly suffice if it can't track, let alone go past 500Hz or so as is the upper limit for most of them.

but anyway back on-topic!

this sounds goood :)

not the keys'Zig obviously - but other than being keyboard monos, i don't think these two synths are alike much at all anyways

being a former owner of an FR 777 i'm actually thinking this Leipzig-S is like having a smoother, somewhat easier yet more flexible sort of 777 in a way

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 am

I just want to point out that i think its hilarious it took a software company to make the analog synth that everyone's been saying korg should make