MiniBrute vs CS-10/15

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
SSquirrel

Re: MiniBrute vs CS-10/15

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:00 am

phosfiend wrote:The minibrute seems to do the gnarly stuff well, but until I get my hands on one, I'm not so sure about its less aggressive sonic abilities - anyone care to chime in?

Starting about 35 seconds in

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am

I loved my CS-15, but judging from the demos the minibrute shares more character with the MS-20 rather than the CS series, especially in filter character.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 pm

SSquirrel wrote:
phosfiend wrote:The minibrute seems to do the gnarly stuff well, but until I get my hands on one, I'm not so sure about its less aggressive sonic abilities - anyone care to chime in?

Starting about 35 seconds in
Yeah, the MB can do soft sounds if you program a soft sound. But even in that part of the clip I think you hear its soft sound is more aggressive sound than, say, a Juno 106 or something programed for a similar patch. Most synths "want" to deliver a certain type of sound--woody MiniMoog, brassy P600, etc. But if you use a sine wave with little resonance and a slower attack, it's going to sound soft and flutey. But it may not sound as soft as flutey as a synth with a softer oscillator and a rounder-sounding filter.

In other words, all synths can do less agressive sounds but some aren't as less agressive as others.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm

GuyaGuy wrote: if you use a sine wave with little resonance and a slower attack, it's going to sound soft and flutey
Um, that's true of pretty much any synth...filtering sine waves doesn't do much until the cutoff is below the fundamental 8-)
all synths can do less agressive sounds but some aren't as less agressive as others
Are you really Yogi Berra?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:37 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote: if you use a sine wave with little resonance and a slower attack, it's going to sound soft and flutey
Um, that's true of pretty much any synth...filtering sine waves doesn't do much until the cutoff is below the fundamental 8-)
all synths can do less agressive sounds but some aren't as less agressive as others
Nope, just an Orwell fan.

And yes, my point was that all subtractive synths will do that but some will be flutier than others.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:54 pm

The MiniBrute is capable of some really aggressive sounds.
The CS-15 is not as capable in that arena, but has such a vast array of functionality that that should be taken into consideration. Despite having similar filters, they're really quite different. The CS-15 is more powerful, but not as edgy.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The MiniBrute is capable of some really aggressive sounds.
The CS-15 is not as capable in that arena, but has such a vast array of functionality that that should be taken into consideration. Despite having similar filters, they're really quite different. The CS-15 is more powerful, but not as edgy.
Indeed. It has more of a creamy, almost Moog character. There are still no Minibrutes in Sweden yet, so I haven't been able to try it.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:29 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The CS-15 is more powerful, but not as edgy.
Have to disagree with ya AG. The only thing the CS-15 has that the MB doesn't is an extra filter and oscillator; it has none of the modulation ability. For actual sound creation, e.g. odd/novel sounds, the MB goes well beyond what the CS can do. As much as I love it, the CS really only wins in the funky-filter-fun and soft-'70s solos department.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:22 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The MiniBrute is capable of some really aggressive sounds.
The CS-15 can get quite aggressive when you plug the headphone out to the audio in, I remember having that patched up quite often when I had mine. Patching pedals into that feedback loop did some really cool things as well The MB is more nasal sounding overall I found when I spent a couple of hours playing with my friend's, in a similar way to how the MS20 is nasal.

I think the strength of the CS-15 over the MB is that two envelopes, and from that the ability to program two sounds that morph from one to the other or that change completely depending on if you're playing legato or staccato. The MB has a very wide palette when it comes to the variation you can get with the brute factor, mixing the different waveforms and the waveform modulation options.

Hair

Post by Hair » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

So it seems like the CS-15 and MB are both really cool synths at a nice price point.. going back to my original post (especially now that more people have played with the MB), let's say I have the good fortune of having a Model D to take care of - between the CS-15 and the MB, V/Hz vs Oct aside, do y'all think would one be a "better" complimentary synth than the other? Or is the amount of non-Moog-style sonic ground each synth covers roughly equal?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I've a MB and CS-15 so I know what I'm talking about here... not really, I don't know squat... What I do know is that with youtube vids you aren’t hearing how great and beautiful any synth can sound, especially in the upper frequencies. To me both these synths are fairly bright sounding with the CS-15's filters winning out in the bubblyness department. MB did seem to have some sweet spots which do include bubblyness however, self oscillation isn't one of them for me. I'm not sure why anyone would want to hear something squealing like a stuck pig, I don't like hearing it at all, only good that does for me is to prove I'm getting more range out of the filter than what is needed and not less, there probably is another use for it, I just can't think of one at the moment. I guess if I had to choose or recommend one over the other then I probably would most likely go with the MB. Don't let the one osc fool you, it seems almost like having three or more. The CS-15 would be hard to let go still, it is a more solid synth than it looks. Since I already have both, what I am having a bit of trouble deciding on right now is MiniBrute vrs Mopho Keys, one of those two may have to go, I don't think I'd let the CS-15 go at this point.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:55 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The CS-15 is more powerful, but not as edgy.
Have to disagree with ya AG. The only thing the CS-15 has that the MB doesn't is an extra filter and oscillator; it has none of the modulation ability. For actual sound creation, e.g. odd/novel sounds, the MB goes well beyond what the CS can do. As much as I love it, the CS really only wins in the funky-filter-fun and soft-'70s solos department.
I delight in the manipulations that exist in the oscillator section on the MiniBrute. But there is MUCH the CS can do that the MB cannot... primarily because of the fact that it's not just two oscillator, it's two synthesizer. Because you can chart two distinct audio paths, you can do a very great deal of things that cannot be done with the MB.
I will gladly list the extensive capabilities that the CS possesses that the MB does not, but I don't think it's necessary. The MB possesses some interesting oscillator functionality, but that doesn't mean its functionality is equal to the CS in regard to synthesis. Yes, the MB has the arpeggiator, and quite an extensive LFO... but still. Having the ability to individually operate two synthesizer audio paths counts for a LOT.

As for the Brute factor as compared to plugging the headphone into the audio-in... the Brute Factor is a bit more elegant than the kludgy process of plugging a headphone out to an audio in. But even if the Brute Factor didn't exist, having the ability to self-oscillate in the filter puts the "edginess" of the MB far beyond that of the CS. On top of that, while you can generate self-oscillation with the CS by the headphone trick, the MB has the self-oscillation already. The Brute Factor just drives it into insanity. Hence, what I said.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:56 am

Hair wrote:So it seems like the CS-15 and MB are both really cool synths at a nice price point.. going back to my original post (especially now that more people have played with the MB), let's say I have the good fortune of having a Model D to take care of - between the CS-15 and the MB, V/Hz vs Oct aside, do y'all think would one be a "better" complimentary synth than the other? Or is the amount of non-Moog-style sonic ground each synth covers roughly equal?
I would say that it depends on taste, really. Both are really interesting synthesizers, but both have different functionalities and strengths. It comes down to what you want.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it!"
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:18 am

Is it Animal Farm or allusions that they don't teach in 9th grade anymore?