MiniBrute vs CS-10/15

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: MiniBrute vs CS-10/15

Post by Bitexion » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm

One thing that baffled me about my CS-15, is that there is no hard sync between the oscillators. I mean, we already have a separate knob that acts like a pitch envelope, called VCO1+2 glide. It's like it was meant for sweeping sync/ringmod effects, but they just left it out.

winningatlife
Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Post by winningatlife » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:14 am

I agree with most posts above re: the CS synths. I had the chance to play a Minibrute for a bit, was very impressed by the build quality and the filter. The arppegiator is also pretty fun to tinker with. That being said, it is more reminiscent of a DSI mopho in that the sounds are typically very "safe" or predictable rather. It is not the best for creating real weird out there sounds, though it would excel in bass lines metallic leads and bleepy arppegios. Given the style of music you are describing I personally think you would get more mileage out of it than a CS10/15. The small keyboard is a joke though, but I doubt many people will actually use that for much.

Also, the compatibility is going to be an issue, trust me.
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 am

winningatlife wrote:I had the chance to play a Minibrute for a bit, was very impressed by the build quality and the filter. The arppegiator is also pretty fun to tinker with. That being said, it is more reminiscent of a DSI mopho in that the sounds are typically very "safe" or predictable rather. It is not the best for creating real weird out there sounds, though it would excel in bass lines metallic leads and bleepy arppegios.
Woah, you need to either spend more time with a Minibrute or learn how to program weird sounds better.

wertpog

Post by wertpog » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:08 am

Bitexion wrote:One thing that baffled me about my CS-15, is that there is no hard sync between the oscillators. I mean, we already have a separate knob that acts like a pitch envelope, called VCO1+2 glide. It's like it was meant for sweeping sync/ringmod effects, but they just left it out.
This is bit of an omission on the CS synths, but it is possible to approximate sync sounds (on the CS-30 at least, presumably on the 15 too) by running the output of one of the oscillators in the external input and setting the other oscillators input to EXT. I no longer have the CS and I'm a little hazy on the details, but it's there if you're willing to play around.

There's also a mod published (Gearslutz I believe) that adds a sync switch.

I've not played a Minibrute (keen though) but I really like the CS mono synths, especially the dual filter models. Really very flexible, not "fat" or particularly warm most of the time but they have their sweet spots, not like a Moog or a Juno where everything sounds good with minimal effort, you have to persevere with it. Armed with a sampler, it's very easy to pretend one has a CS80 as they have chips and parameters in common.

I've been though two CS-30's (almost identical to the CS-15 give or take a few features, 15 is probably better value price wise) but had to sell both for one reason or another. My last one had a faulty envelope and the Htz/Vol control was really finicky. I'll probably pickup a CS-40 one of these days, the interface looks very appealing.

I could be dreaming (quite likely), but I think the CS synths can almost sound like they running through a reverb when they are not. I have some samples where this definitely seems the case, and I remember getting that impression when just playing around with it. Of course I might have left my sound cards internal reverb on accidentally. :oops:

Here's a pack of mostly CS30l synth drum, blips and percussion: http://modularsamples.com/drums/DrumHits.zip
And small pack of Mutlisampled CS30l synth patches for Kontakt (4+): http://modularsamples.com/newfree/NKI/D ... %20NKI.zip

Sorry for rambling...
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Maybe we can just agree that the CS-15 is different enough from the MB to make them less than equally comparable; I think they compliment each other well.

Harking back to what AG said, there is definitely something to being able to filter the two oscillators separately on the CS-15--you can create a dark tone on one side and then a bright on the other osc and you end up with a really meaty sound that is tonally almost more than the sum of its parts.
Do you even post on vse bro?