Waldorf Blofeld vs. Shruthli-1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Waldorf Blofeld vs. Shruthli-1

Post by adekoyote » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I have heard nothing but good things from each of these synths and I would like to settle on one of them. I am so far impressed by the form factor of both devices(both are small and pack a wallop), and that each seems to have modern functionalities like mod matrixes, etc.

So what does the vintagesynth crew think? :ugeek:

Are these devices similar?

I am asking because they go for about the same $ and they both seem to be VA...correct me if I am wrong...

James Mandible

Re: Waldorf Blofeld vs. Shruthli-1

Post by James Mandible » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:11 am

adekoyote wrote:
I am asking because they go for about the same $ and they both seem to be VA...correct me if I am wrong...
Shruthi is not a VA and Blofeld is only 'technically' a VA. Shruthi is monophonic and has analog filters (unless you get the digital filter version), Blofeld is polyphonic, multitimbral, and has digital filters. Blofeld comes pre-built, Shruthi does not. They are both wavetable synths, they're both pretty cheap, that's really about all they have in common.

Also a Shruthi sells for 200 (maybe closer to 300 for a built version) and Blofeld (module version) goes for 400-700 dollars, depending. That's a pretty big difference.

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:07 am

ok thank for clearing that up. Which one sounds better, though? I am really eyeballing them for the form factor...in regards to performance synths it would be great to have them connected to the rs7000....mainly because they are so TINY...hooked up to a proper sequencer you could really get some amazing sounds...I I really dig the fact that they offer so much yet take up so little space.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm

another difference (AFAIK) is that the shruthi-1 is only monophonic and the blofeld is poly. the blofeld is a lot more flexible from the digital side, but the shruthi-1 just sounds dern good. If you're using it primarily as a monosynth, I'd stay with the shruthi. If you're going to use it for pads and sound effects, blofeld.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 pm

blofeld is polyphonic and polytimbral, so connected to the rs7000 it can do up to 16 parts split by channel or by midi map. My favorite VA I think (still learning my virus indigo 2 and deciding if I like it better)

struthi will be much more limited as it's monotimbral. You're comparing an apple with a case of oranges imho, unless you REALLY like apples you'll get more value out of the oranges.

jeffrey1121
Gear: Moog LP, Blofeld, MoPho, Machinedrum, ART FXR, Reason, FL Studio

Post by jeffrey1121 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:29 pm

th0mas wrote: struthi will be much more limited as it's monotimbral. You're comparing an apple with a case of oranges imho, unless you REALLY like apples you'll get more value out of the oranges.
gotta go with th0mas. in this case polyphonic > monophonic. also, the LCD on the blofeld is much more useful than that tiny one on the Shruthli-1. My mopho has a similarly small display and it's shortcomings only became apparent after a month or two of ownership.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Of course now Mutable has the Ambika coming out. 6 voice poly Shruthi with a lot more going on to boot. Sounds pretty cool

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:13 pm

James Mandible wrote:They are both wavetable synths, they're both pretty cheap, that's really about all they have in common.
Are the wavetables sweepable on the Shruthi?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

deeplow
Gear: bad luck brain

Post by deeplow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 am

yup
"You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music." Stab Frenzy

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:37 am

Also, you should know that the 8-bit limitations of the oscillators on the Shruthi make it somewhat more low-fi. This is usually a good thing IMO (it gives it some subtle grit), but sometimes it can be hard to get a perfect, pristine sound out of the oscillators at their extremes. For example, there are two different versions of the square waveform, and I find one sounds better in the high register, and the other sounds much better in the low register, so I have to select a different waveform depending on the range I'm playing in. Some might see this as a limitation.

The 8-bit oscillators combined with the analog filter makes the shruthi noticeably more FAT sounding compared to other synths in its class, but the Blofeld is certainly more flexible.

The big attraction of the Shruthi-1 is the fact that it's by far the cheapest way to get a feature-packed, ripping little monosynth with a real analog filter.

The demos on the Mutable instruments give a very good preview of what the Shruthi-1 is capable of. I would also recommend skimming the manuals of both synths to get an idea of what it's like to program them.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

I have both in the studio and they're really very different beasts.

The Blofeld is a suprisingly powerful synth capable of making some huge textures and is also very flexible. It is equally at home rendering epic pads and warm washes as the hard, bizarre and cold. It also has a superb built in arpeggiator. The Blofeld is one of very few new digital synths that I've been guinuely impressed with in recent years.

The Shruthi-1 is a quirky combination of PWM DACs running on a little microprocessor driving a real VCF/VCA combo. If it was to be compared with something from the Waldorf stable then it would have to be the uWave I which is also a combination of digital waveform generation into analog filters. It is quite capable of making some nice bass, buzzy leads, bizarre wavetable progressions, pseudo FM timbres and arpeggios but in my opinion is perhaps more a synth to add some interest to a mix rather than becoming it's backbone like the Waldorf could, if required.

If it were my money I'd go for the Blofeld because I think it's capable of rendering a much wider sonic palette but not in some 'orrible GM MIDI workstation way - with power, class and character.

I like the Shruthi but in truth I got a bit bored with it a little too quickly.

I personally think that where it might just be a little wanting as a monosynth, it could be the basis for a very nice polysynth - which is, of course, something Olivier has been working on.

He's a clever chap and, if you are into your electronics, where the Shruthi may just win is that it's really easy to drive your own analog filters and VCAs with the CPU board by tapping it's CV channel outputs (something I've done to good effect with tube circuits).

Here is the Blofeld into my Dual Tube Hybrid Filter with the cutoffs being hand cranked in wispy self resonance:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ziublt

Here are some examples of the Shruthi-1 modified to drive 3 out of the 9 CV channels on the same filter.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/np58jy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/edmv0y

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9rfg6n

NB: SendSpace is confusing... click on "Click here to start download from sendspace" to download.

It's probably possible to find a very affordable second hand Blofeld these days - just make sure the data wheel is ok - they sometimes develop a life of their own! :roll: