Korg Z1 vs Yamaha EX5

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Oppression
Gear: Access Virus Indigo2
Korg Z1
Roland JP-8080
Roland Juno-106
Roland MKS-50 +Pg-300

Various VSTi's

Korg Z1 vs Yamaha EX5

Post by Oppression » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 am

I had a Z1 - its OS was stable never had a problem with it, i never have owned a ex5 but i have heard its slower? and the system is full of bugs? im not completely sold on the EX5 just yet it sounds pretty damn good but i dont want a slow buggy OS ya know? the Z1 was fast and stable. how is the build on the ex5? the key action compared to a Z1? this seems like a pretty legit battle ( these 2 synths) would love to hear thoughts, facts or even oppinions on anything about them.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Re: Korg Z1 vs Yamaha EX5

Post by _seph » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:00 am

I just read your prior thread - http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=68416 - and I think you will like the EX5. I currently own both and they share a stand together. I have never experienced any "bugs" with my EX5 and the OS isn't slow, or any slower than the Z1. The only thing that is slow about the EX5 is the SCSI interface (which mine doesn't have) if you're using it as a sampler, which I don't. Supposedly the sequencer can get a little loose with a lot of tracks, but that is another feature I've never much bothered with.

The EX5 is a quality synth that was Yamaha's flagship prior to the Motif. It is perhaps Yamaha's most ambitious synth as it combines multiple synthesis methods, plus sampling and sequencing but as I'm sure you've read it just doesn't quite have enough processing power to pull it all off. Personally I am not at all bothered by that as I consider it a synth and not a workstation and as a synth it is exceptional.

As for its build quality, it is very solid and constructed similarly to the Z1. Their keyboards are virtually identical, perhaps the Z1 is a bit stiffer. I would say its controls are about equal. the Z1 has a few more knobs and that nice XY pad, but the EX5 has an extra mod wheel and a ribbon, plus it can accept a breath controller.

Anyway, they are two of my favorites and exemplify digital at its best. If forced to choose between the two I'm not quite sure which I'd choose.. I would probably lean more towards the EX5 and not just because I also have a Prophecy, but the EX5 is just an exceptional and unique synth. Come to think of it, I probably use the Z1 as a controller for my Wavestation A/D (the XY pad is a perfect vector joystick) more than I use the synth itself. But this is my second Z1 and I'm never making the mistake of parting with it again.

philip

Post by philip » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:01 am

Those two are pretty diferent. EX5- is the best workstation of all times I believe. Z1 - is very complex (almost modular inside) but very thin sounding synth.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:21 am

Id say they are somehwat similar, same era, and two of the only synths at the time that featured physical modelling. I currently have a Z1 and dig it. I wouldn't say its thin, far from it, but it is certainly digital sounding, in a good way. I'd say overall for synthesis the Z1 wins, but as an all rounder the EX5 takes it.