voyager performer vs old school

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

voyager performer vs old school

Post by sam » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I have a choice of both....

Do they sound the same....What advantage does the old school have..?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: voyager performer vs old school

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 am

The OS doesn't have all of the digital memory settings regarding sound. It doesn't have the rigid structure of MIDI. It's just an analog synth. If you care about that or how it affects sound, then the OS is for you. Otherwise, the Voyager is brimming with a lot of functionality that people who seek programmability, sequencing and etc. want.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:08 am

Thank you.....From my research they both should sound the same...So the performer has to be the better option..
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:07 pm

sam wrote:So the performer has to be the better option..
Bingo. Personally, there is no reason to intentionally skip out on the digital aspects. That and memory storage is kind of awesome :/

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks ...It's made up my mind.. :D
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:37 pm

The Old School is profoundly limited in comparison with the Performer. No OS updates= no new functions. No patch storage, no firmware modulation routings, no menus. That being said, I like the OS more than any other model of Voyager. The limitations it has are not detrimental to my creativity, but actually enhance it. When I sit in front of a Performer, I am often at a loss due to the sheer scope of sonic palette I have at my fingertips. The possibilities are nearly endless, and thus I have a hard time coming up with something that actually makes use of the seemingly limitless programming power. The OS is simple, it is intuitive, and incredibly easy to program a good patch. Because of how beautifully simple the Old School is, I will say it is hands down the most creatively inspiring synthesizer I have ever played.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:39 am

I've pretty much got to second what kenneth said - I'm at my creative best using the OS! Everything is right in front of you, no computers, no updates - simple, yet limitless sounds!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:34 am

until you need that lead patch you created two months ago and the cat decided to barf on your patch sheet.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm

bah - just get better at LISTENING!

You don't really need that exact lead patch you came up with a few months ago. If you don't remember how you got to that patch in the first place...well, I'm just sayin.....

;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:58 am

and then there's the need to be able to play more than one patch live.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 am

I'd like to believe that I have magical powers, but I don't. It's possible to remember patches. Really possible. The more you know about each function, and more importantly how it sounds when you do different things with it, the more likely you'll remember how to make each portion do what you want it to. Many keyboard players are so used to infinite presets and infinite immediacy that they simply never take the time to learn how to engage in synthesis. Others simply "don't have time."

The Voyager is horribly complex and has a lot of not-immediately-visible functionality, but still- it's possible to go without presets. Of course, it depends on what sort of sounds you use, and how much experience you have with making them, but remembering a patch is no more complicated than remembering a lot of the sets of instructions we are capable of remembering, as long as you know the sound of each function. The OS, lacking the parametric aspect, is easier to remember.

I perform live with a Minimoog AND an ARP 2600. While I do tend to have a performance-based cable patch set up on the ARP, I also know how settings in regard to the patch will change for each song. My patch list is never the settings for each module- they're usually comprised of a few general adjectives with reminders about a few specifics.

Does it take some time between songs? Sure it does. But the more you practice, the more you remember to start changing before the end of a song. See, that's the thing. To go without memory or presets, you need to have a lot of knowledge, skill, and practice. I think THAT is the underlying source of the rejection of lack of memory. ;)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:33 pm

I couldn't have said this better and I'm 100% in agreement. If my Voyager wasn't signed by Bob, I'd trade it towards an OS Voyager just to challenge me, via necessity, to create my own patches which can be archived by patch sheets.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I'd like to believe that I have magical powers, but I don't. It's possible to remember patches. Really possible. The more you know about each function, and more importantly how it sounds when you do different things with it, the more likely you'll remember how to make each portion do what you want it to. Many keyboard players are so used to infinite presets and infinite immediacy that they simply never take the time to learn how to engage in synthesis. Others simply "don't have time."

The Voyager is horribly complex and has a lot of not-immediately-visible functionality, but still- it's possible to go without presets. Of course, it depends on what sort of sounds you use, and how much experience you have with making them, but remembering a patch is no more complicated than remembering a lot of the sets of instructions we are capable of remembering, as long as you know the sound of each function. The OS, lacking the parametric aspect, is easier to remember.

I perform live with a Minimoog AND an ARP 2600. While I do tend to have a performance-based cable patch set up on the ARP, I also know how settings in regard to the patch will change for each song. My patch list is never the settings for each module- they're usually comprised of a few general adjectives with reminders about a few specifics.

Does it take some time between songs? Sure it does. But the more you practice, the more you remember to start changing before the end of a song. See, that's the thing. To go without memory or presets, you need to have a lot of knowledge, skill, and practice. I think THAT is the underlying source of the rejection of lack of memory. ;)
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Interesting comments..I went for a minimoog in the end as that's what i really wanted.

I play live with synths and i go without any preset synths because this brings more interesting (creative) results when i have to challenge myself on a moment to play...Yes playing can lead to good things that you would not usually do on stage and also i design my sets for this..this can lead to strange looks from classical musicians (or jazz) i have worked with but it's my way of finding something interesting.
Playing and tweaking is more natural to me than thinking about which preset comes next..I have a method of writing down a sort of shorthand to guide me. Just bits of paper with drawings and numbers that mean something.

Did a set once where i told a story. But i didn't know the story until the set started. Just a walk in the park on a fine day...It's strange who you meet on the way.
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.