Pro One or Prodigy?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Pro One or Prodigy?

Post by chimney chop » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

i know the Sequential Circuits Pro One is more fully featured but what does the Moog Prodigy have over the Pro One?

better filter?

from what i can extrapolate it seems that the Prodigy might have a slightly thicker sound...yes?
more low end?

anyway, school my slow and unnurtured brain...........

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Re: Pro One or Prodigy?

Post by Fatbenelton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Had both - both great. Prodigy is half the price of a Pro-one so it's not a fair comparison. The Pro-one is one of the greatest mono synths ever - compared to a Minimoog it's good value. The Prodigy has a nice simple interface, has nice, moog like sounds and is good value compared to a Pro-One..........Both will give you great, analogue sounds and both do great bass - can't imagine either is 'thicker' than the other........
Jonny Jones

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:36 pm

I havent owned a prodigy(yet) so I cant really give you any details on it. But the pro one is fantastic, though sadly they do cost a pretty penny right now :/

chimney chop

Post by chimney chop » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Fatbenelton wrote:Had both - both great. Prodigy is half the price of a Pro-one so it's not a fair comparison. The Pro-one is one of the greatest mono synths ever - compared to a Minimoog it's good value. The Prodigy has a nice simple interface, has nice, moog like sounds and is good value compared to a Pro-One..........Both will give you great, analogue sounds and both do great bass - can't imagine either is 'thicker' than the other........
but having owned both is there any way at all where the Prodigy outshines the Pro One other than simplicity?

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Better build quality! Honestly, it is difficult to say. You have a much wider sonic palette with the Pro-one - better modulation routing, full ADSR etc etc.

The Prodigy has the Moog sound which is different.......That's the point, the Pro-One is a more 'powerful' synth but they both have a nice tone. Depends on whether you like the Moog tone over the SCI tone.......

Like I said earlier though these are completely different when it comes to price. In the UK you can pick a Prodigy up for c£450-£650.........A Pro-One is c£850-£1000........

If you have £500 the Prodigy is a great synth.........I liked the Prodigy sound but it is more limited. Check out the vids on YouTube etc and try and find a friend with one to check out!

What are you looking for and what are you trying to achieve? The reason I ask is that these synths are at opposite ends of a £500-£1000 budget that also has a lot of other great vintage mono's in it....All dual oscillator to keep it simple:
Roland SH2
Yamaha CS15
Yamaha CS30
Octave CAT SRM
Moog Source (maybe.....)
Mono/Poly (maybe...)
Jonny Jones

chimney chop

Post by chimney chop » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:39 pm

yeah, build quality counts for sure.

mostly looking for something with an aggressive sound. these 2 synths always get mentioned when the word "aggressive" surfaces.

i had an sh-2 and really loved it but it was a bit limited feature-wise. guess it's the same story with the Prodigy.

i have a Mopho keyboard which i adore so....i don't know whether the Pro-one or the Prodigy would be a better compliment to it.

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Fatbenelton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Well the beauty with vintage stuff at the moment is that you can afford to try and f you don't like you can probably sell it for what you bought it for or more....

To be honest if you have a Mopho I would try the Prodigy though if you found the Sh2 limited I think you will find the Prodigy more so.......
Jonny Jones

chimney chop

Post by chimney chop » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Fatbenelton wrote:To be honest if you have a Mopho I would try the Prodigy though if you found the Sh2 limited I think you will find the Prodigy more so.......
ha, and that's my dilemma in a nutshell.

you're right though. if i bought either resale would be quick and easy.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 am

I have both. The Pro-One is more versatile and aggressive, but I use my Prodigy just as much because it is very easy to get a good sound out of it. A lot cheaper too!

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Post by breckjay » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:42 pm

i too was thinking about getting the prodigy to go with my mopho. something for aggrotech/emb.
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

breckjay wrote:i too was thinking about getting the prodigy to go with my mopho. something for aggrotech/emb.
I have been doing Aggrotech a bit lately, and so far the pro one is awesome at it. It just has a knack for those sweet crunchy abrupt type of sounds. Depending on how you have the mod section section setup, you can get some really interesting results out of sustained notes from it as well.

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by breckjay » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm

phesago wrote:
breckjay wrote:i too was thinking about getting the prodigy to go with my mopho. something for aggrotech/emb.
I have been doing Aggrotech a bit lately, and so far the pro one is awesome at it. It just has a knack for those sweet crunchy abrupt type of sounds. Depending on how you have the mod section section setup, you can get some really interesting results out of sustained notes from it as well.
the only thing is the pro one is out of my price range. only have $1k to get something to go along with my mopho. was thinking about the cs 15 or little phatty but i would like some thing something with one knob per function.
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 pm

breckjay wrote:
phesago wrote:
the only thing is the pro one is out of my price range. only have $1k to get something to go along with my mopho. was thinking about the cs 15 or little phatty but i would like some thing something with one knob per function.
If you shop wisely you can get a pro one for about 1k. Spending more than that on one is not worth it.

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by breckjay » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

will keep that in mind. thanks. can you think of any modern mono that would be like the pro one?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:55 pm

breckjay wrote:will keep that in mind. thanks. can you think of any modern mono that would be like the pro one?
The Future Retro XS si a wonderful machine. It's only about 200-330 more than a pro one, and is equally as good. A used XS would be about 900ish.

This guy has one for sale too, he recently posted an add here on VSE but couldnt find it

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65926