Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
we_squirm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by we_squirm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:17 am

What are your thoughts?

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by pflosi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 am

Both rock. ;)

we_squirm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by we_squirm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes, they do.

BUT if you only had to pick one, which one would it be?

Does the Drumtraks do anything the 707 can't?

User avatar
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3534
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 am
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape
Location: Docking Bay 94 (Dallas, TX)
Contact:

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by Z » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Personally, I'd go with the TR-707 since it has more sounds and I like x0x / grid style programming.

One thing the DrumTraks can do that the 707 won't is tunable drums.

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by pflosi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm

we_squirm wrote:BUT if you only had to pick one, which one would it be?
If it's either one or the other, I'm absolutely with Z on this one...:
Z wrote:Personally, I'd go with the TR-707 since it has more sounds and I like x0x / grid style programming.

we_squirm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by we_squirm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:30 pm

I actually have both. Had the Drumtraks for a while but just got a 707 for the midi and interfacing with my sh-101 and juno 60. just wondering if I should hold on to the drumtraks for any reason but looks like I can just go ahead and sell it!

User avatar
hyphen nation
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am
Gear: boxes that make noises
Location: sunny northwest

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by hyphen nation » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Yeah, I am opposite everyone so far, but i kept the drumtraks and traded the 707. I like the 707, but tunable drums was more fun to me. When it was my only drum machine, I really enjoyed the quantized programming on the drumtraks, also the ability to just plug in any time signature super easily was fun too.

User avatar
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2769
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea
Location: Exton/ westchester
Contact:

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:02 am

I can't imagine two machines with more polorized toms. The 707's are static, dated and campy, while the drumtrax are deep and powerful, almost tribal. The 707's high hats, ride and crash are vastly superior, even if you can't tune them, not to understate the drumtrax ride. The Drumtrax has some great percussion sounds though, but this is vs. the iconic rimshot and tamb. The drumtrax is great for more complex rhythms, and you have access to finer quantization without using up multiple patterns for one rhythm. The 707 is much more useful for syncing with other rolands, and it can send dinsync while slaved if it's slaved via tape sync. And like others pointed out, you have the linear programing vs. only tap edit, but on the drumtrax you have the erase feature which i don't think you have on the 707, so you could potentially have little jams just in record mode only, which is a lot of fun. (maybe you can erase in tap edit mode on the 707, I forget) And, the drumtrax is 8 bit while the 707 is 12. And you can hear the difference: the drumtrax has a little bit of a mirage duskiness to it, especially when you bring out the aliasing by pitching sounds.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by pflosi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:00 am

ninja6485 wrote:...but on the drumtrax you have the erase feature which i don't think you have on the 707, so you could potentially have little jams just in record mode only, which is a lot of fun. (maybe you can erase in tap edit mode on the 707, I forget)
Yeah you can do that on the 707 in tap edit mode as well - hold "clear" and the respective instrument button.

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:38 pm

ninja6485 wrote:I can't imagine two machines with more polorized toms. The 707's are static, dated and campy, while the drumtrax are deep and powerful, almost tribal. The 707's high hats, ride and crash are vastly superior, even if you can't tune them, not to understate the drumtrax ride. The Drumtrax has some great percussion sounds though, but this is vs. the iconic rimshot and tamb. The drumtrax is great for more complex rhythms, and you have access to finer quantization without using up multiple patterns for one rhythm. The 707 is much more useful for syncing with other rolands, and it can send dinsync while slaved if it's slaved via tape sync. And like others pointed out, you have the linear programing vs. only tap edit, but on the drumtrax you have the erase feature which i don't think you have on the 707, so you could potentially have little jams just in record mode only, which is a lot of fun. (maybe you can erase in tap edit mode on the 707, I forget) And, the drumtrax is 8 bit while the 707 is 12. And you can hear the difference: the drumtrax has a little bit of a mirage duskiness to it, especially when you bring out the aliasing by pitching sounds.
well said... I think the main consideration is if you're going to use these live or not. 707 is awesome for live stuff; SCI not really. But ignoring that, in terms of sound, the DT wins out... It just has that solid mid-80s funk.
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
walkathon
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:57 am
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by walkathon » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Partly depends if you wanna sync that 707 w/ anything, ala a 101, etc.

Also, keep me honest, but you can swap chips w/ the DT, right?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Portland, ME

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:30 pm

The 707 is a great, easy to use machine, but I got super bored of its sound super quick. I then went to the Linndrum, which was absolutely fantastic. I had a couple of those before going drum machine-less altogether. Right now, I'm using (and really digging) this iPad app called Funk Box - its a bunch samples of all of the old vintage drum machines. The interface is pretty solid (although a couple features are missing), but the ability to create patterns with Linndrum sounds AND CR78 (or 808, 909, maestro, etc) - is pretty f**k awesome. If you have an iPad, definitely spend $5 and check it out....

Anyways, my next hardware box will definitely be the Drumtraks. The price is right (the Linndrum is fetching too much for what it is). You can still switch out eproms for different sounds. The only thing to worry about is the membrane pad going south, but other than that it seems like a fairly reliable machine.

Sound/ability wise (for what I do), this is the video that sold me:


ColorForm2113
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:20 am
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...
Location: CHICAGO-ish

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 pm

I regret getting rid of my drumtrax but I just picked up an rx5 that I am in love with
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

User avatar
walkathon
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:57 am
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by walkathon » Sun May 19, 2013 5:31 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:I regret getting rid of my drumtrax but I just picked up an rx5 that I am in love with
+1 this as well. Prefer my TOM to the RX5 these days but the RX5 is ridiculously underrated and neglected these days, due for a minor comeback at least.

2manydrummachines
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Post by 2manydrummachines » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:42 am

The TR707 has a SLOT for a memory cartridge. That Sequential Circuits though break the functional conditioning get BOTH and more. You need an E-MU Drumulator too!

Post Reply