Microkorg vs Microbrute vs Mininova...HELP!

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
stark1

Microkorg vs Microbrute vs Mininova...HELP!

Post by stark1 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:55 am

Hello to everyone! I finally decided to buy my first synthesizer, and after lots of searches (and headaches) I came up with these 3 little buddies. I had a little pratice in the past with soft synths, but I don't feel comfortable with them,so i decided to go with hardware synths. In you opinion, what is the best of the 3 to produce ambient/downtempo soundscapes and sounds, considering a budget of 400$, and also that I'm a beginner with hardware synths? Thanks a lot! :D

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Re: Microkorg vs Microbrute vs Mininova...HELP!

Post by ranzee » Sat May 31, 2014 11:15 am

Well, I own both the MicroKorg and the MicroBrute - and I can tell you that they are completely different bits of kit. The MicroBrute is an analogue monophonic synth from Arturia. The MicroKorg is a digital (analogue modelling) synth with 4 voice polyphony.

The MicroBrute is amazing - it is really worth every cent. Arturia have made a very nice synth here. The step sequencer is great, the control voltage matrix is awesome, the filter is amazing - just a beautiful synth - and very original. I've used it in many recordings so far. There isn't any patch memory - which is the purpose of this synth - you fiddle with knobs and craft your sound - take a photo or use the supplied template (cardboard cutouts).

The MicroKorg is a great little starter synth - it has the same analogue modelling that was on the MS2000 - and it can really be fun to learn with. However, what really lacks on this synth is a hold/sustain pedal input and USB connectivity (so you can edit this via software). I've used this synth on many recordings also - but generally use it for sound effects (blips and blops). It has a really nice arpeggiator - and can be cool syncing to MIDI clock for some cool 00's techno sounds.

It is really hard to compare the two as they are so vastly different. Just about everything about them is different - size, number of keys, digital or analogue etc.

As for the Mininova - I'll leave that to others to advise you about.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:37 pm

For the sounds you're asking for the Mininova is the synth you want.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 am

I doubt you'd get much out of the Micro/minibrute, you'll miss playing ambient chords alot. Which both the other synths can do.

stark1

Post by stark1 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:36 am

Thank you so much for the advices, I think I'll go with the Microkorg ;)

undergroundsofa

Post by undergroundsofa » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:14 am

I can't make up my mind on which synth to buy. I've narrowed it down to the Arturia Microbrute and Korg Microkorg. Which one would be a better purchase?

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:23 am

Get the one that has more knobs.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Re: Re: Microkorg vs Microbrute vs Mininova...HELP!

Post by Percivale » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 am

What are your preferences/parameters?