4voice poly VS: mono poly, analog4, mopho4x, poly evolver

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

4voice poly VS: mono poly, analog4, mopho4x, poly evolver

Post by corndogssg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:57 am

1 Korg Mono/poly
2 Elektron Analog four, w/keys
3 DSI Mopho 4x
4 DSI Poly Evolver

frankly I kinda get bugged by not having at least 6 voices for an analog poly, but for a four voice synth these are imho super duper uber cool, really can't think of another besides the Jupiter 4 which is all ways overlooked by it's 2 bigger brothers.
in your opinion what one of these synths would you rather have, or if you own any what's your favorite. (I do not own any of these 4 although I do own a tetra which is pretty much the same as the mopho4x and a mono evolver)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: 4voice poly VS: mono poly, analog4, mopho4x, poly evolve

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Have a jupiter 4 and analogfour, love them both even though I still have not gotten the most out of the JP4 yet due to a few problems. The A4 is phenomenal if you are into sequencing although it still sounds great to play, it's more about taking analogue sounds further than before with the plocks etc. Had 2 Mopho's polychained (duo) but didn't like the sound so got rid. Never tried a poly evolver and only had a small amount of time with the Mono/poly but it was awesome. The raw sound was a little underwhelming at first but as soon as you started building up the osc's it came alive. The arp is really cool.
I get more out of the A4 so would never get rid.

chipaudette

Post by chipaudette » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 pm

I have a mono/poly. I would not ever think of it as a 4-voice poly. With only a single global VCF and a single global VCA, it's not at all setup to be used as a traditional polysynth. If that's what you're expecting, you're gonna be sad.

It is really "just" a damn badass awesome monosynth.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 pm

I've owned two evolvers, a tetra and an analog four, the A4 is my favourite by far. There's something just not right about the DSI oscs I feel, they're nice but I like the A4 better. A4 is nicer to sequence as well.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:29 pm

chipaudette wrote:I have a mono/poly. I would not ever think of it as a 4-voice poly. With only a single global VCF and a single global VCA, it's not at all setup to be used as a traditional polysynth. If that's what you're expecting, you're gonna be sad.

It is really "just" a damn badass awesome monosynth.
Yep.

Of the others the Evo is awesome and my fave but might be a waste if you don't use the digital side of things. The MoPho 4x will be expandable to a 6 voice fairly cheaply if that's important. I've not played the A4 but the sounds never really grabbed me, but it does seem to have a lot of functionality and features.

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:51 am

How can the mopho4x be a six voice? Chaining two mopho monos? That doesn't seem what you are talking about.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 am

corndogssg wrote:How can the mopho4x be a six voice? Chaining two mopho monos? That doesn't seem what you are talking about.
You can polychain the desktop MoPho so you can add 2 of those for a total of 6. Of course if you do that you might as well keep that Tetra and poly chain it--assuming you want more voices.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm

MoPho X4 will poly-chain with your Tetra for 8 voices. I like the DSI stuff a lot, but Stab is right, something not 100% right- in my case, setting the pitchwheel to an octave up/down makes the oscs go out of tune.
Bassist, synth junkie