mophox4 plus tetra vs prophet 08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

mophox4 plus tetra vs prophet 08

Postby corndogssg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:32 am

so is a prophet 08 basically the exact same thing as a mophox4 with a tetra poly chained to it? is there anything beneficial to the mophox4 plus tetra set up or do you pretty much just have a prophet 08????
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Re: mophox4 plus tetra vs prophet 08

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:10 pm

I think the biggest difference would be sub oscillators in the mopho/tetra set up. Other than that, I'd say its pretty damn close. Don't forget you need to run FOUR audio lines with that rig.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:47 pm

You also have the option to use the Tetra separate from the X4, but you lose 17 keys.

Do you already on either an X4 or Tetra? I personally wouldn't buy them both over the P08, especially if looking to use it live.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby pflosi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:40 pm

I found it to be a real hassle to polychain them reliably... Tetra + Mopho Keys here...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:02 pm

What kind of trouble pflosi?

Polychaining my Evolvers always worked fine, although routing the audio is a bit of a PITA.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby pflosi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Well yeah, routing and level-matching the audio (don't know if the latter would be a nonissue chaining two synth with the same number of voices, aka same headroom) was a pain. I basically always needed a second small mixer to use it live, which was also annoying...

And sometimes it just wouldn't work, really strange... I think it has to do something with presets or so. Would just randomly not change the parameters on the slave, then when I called up another preset it worked again, then again not and so on... I still have no idea what was going on there.

I almost sold the Mopho Keys as I mainly bought it to have a UI for the Tetra, but it came in handy for another project. The Tetra is cool for portable live setups so I also keep it around. So I just use them separately now and all is well...

Cheers!
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby corndogssg » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:21 pm

yeah I have the tetra. great for a 4 voice poly, all ways seems to me 6 is ideal. and of course 8 is better. just basically how I play, I need 5 doing a 3 key cords with my right hand when not soloing and basically octaves with the 5th's thrown in on the left hand, so I find in my playing style 4 voice sometimes bites. if I ever have the money for a moph4x I will just get the prophet 08 a few months later. that way If I ever wanted to do mr dave smiths connect the synth, add more poly marketing gimmick I would get 12 voice, with options to run them separate wich would be killer.

I also have the evolver desktop, it is such a bad a*s piece of kit! and for its size, IT RULES. I HIGHLY suggest the sound tower programs for dave smith desktops at least. they are a lot of fun!
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Postby madmarkmagee » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:16 pm

You need to mix the signal of the two machines which means you need more cables/powerpoint + a mixer.

You can't do splits/layers conventionally with the tetra mopho combination, that is, while the Prophet 08 can load split/layer patches(many of the epic demos you here on YouTube etc is this) , you can not do this. You could however split a layer patch into two separate patches and load one into the tetra and one into the x4, play the tetra at the same time with midi(non-poly chain) as the x4 and mix them at the mixer (this however is a pain).

However, with the Tetra you get combos, which means each voice can be sequenced to do their own thing. However the free editor isn't ideal and imo you need the one you have to buy. (their both buggy, though not anything unbearable)

With the Mopho X4 and tetra you get a feedback loop and subs OSCs.

IMHO if you already have a tetra (like I'm stuck with) go with Prophet if you have money plus space = 12 voice poly! with split/layer ! If no money/space and tetra buy mopho x4 (I'm thinking of this option) . If you have no DSI and have money + space buy a prophet 08. If you already have an x4 I'd go with the tetra...
madmarkmagee

Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Return to Synth Shootouts