Tom Oberheim 2 Voice Pro (new) vs. Oberheim 2 Voice (old)

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Tom Oberheim 2 Voice Pro (new) vs. Oberheim 2 Voice (old)

Postby wheatfield » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:07 pm

I have two questions:

1) Is the new Tom Oberheim 2 Voice Pro a recommended equal replacement to the old Oberheim 2 Voice? Any notable deficiencies? I've been repeatedly burned with new "analog" synths that just don't touch the beauty of the old Oberheims in particular, but I figure Tom himself knows what he's doing and the hardware on the new stuff is probably extremely good.

2) Seeing that the Son of 4 Voice won't be coming out anytime soon, does anyone have experience perhaps attaching the new 2 Voice Pro with two of the new SEM pro units to create a 4 voice piece? I am not great with this type of thing but I figure it's worth looking into.
wheatfield

Re: Tom Oberheim 2 Voice Pro (new) vs. Oberheim 2 Voice (old

Postby wheatfield » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Regarding the second question, apparently the answer is "no". From Tom Oberheim:

"The Two Voice is not set up so that having two SEMs makes it a 4 voice. With 2 SEMs driven by the Two Voice it would still be a 2 voice machine except each "voice" would be a SEM inside the Two Voice and an SEM external."

So looks like I will need to wait for the Son of 4 Voice to have a four voice SEM unit.
wheatfield

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:49 pm

wheatfield wrote:So looks like I will need to wait for the Son of 4 Voice to have a four voice SEM unit.

Don't bother, it's never going to happen. You'd be better off buying 4 single SEMs and the Mutable midipal or some other midi router.

As far as sonics, the TO SEM is by far the closest "clone" to the originals. It's a tad sharper in the upper end, lacking some of that mid-range phasiness, and capable of more resonance, but basically identical (or at least 90+% of the way there). Not like the Voyager vs. the minimoog, for example.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby wheatfield » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
wheatfield wrote:So looks like I will need to wait for the Son of 4 Voice to have a four voice SEM unit.

Don't bother, it's never going to happen. You'd be better off buying 4 single SEMs and the Mutable midipal or some other midi router.

Four single SEM Pros will allow four voices but the 2 Voice + 2 SEMs won't? You're probably right but I don't get the details of it.

Either way it's too bad about the Son of 4 Voice, if you're right. Tom has said he will know by early 2015 if he will resume working on it. I guess he's getting to the point that he's too old to be working on projects like that.
wheatfield

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:49 pm

I assume Tom means that you can't drive two additional SEMs from the two-voice as separate voices, whereas you could control any number of SEMs from an external midi controller (even a two-voice plus two SEMs).

don't get me wrong, I'd love for the 4-voice to appear, but I think this two-voice endeavor took more effort than he expected, and yeah, he's at a point where it may not be worth it to him to complete. He was in the zone a fee years ago, but the. Programming issues derailed the project and he's never regained the necessary momentum to finish.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Bitexion » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:21 pm

The 4/8 voice controller was basically just a fancy CV converter. Now you don't need a huge console like that to control lots of SEMs at once, just hook up 16 of the the buggers to a midi keyboard and there voila, oberheim 16-voice
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 am

Sir Ruff wrote: [...] As far as sonics, the TO SEM is by far the closest "clone" to the originals. It's a tad sharper in the upper end, lacking some of that mid-range phasiness, and capable of more resonance, but basically identical (or at least 90+% of the way there). Not like the Voyager vs. the minimoog, for example.

This is some point I've read a couple of times, but... I beg to differ. How many of us actually had the chance to play and hear a sparkling new original SEM (or Two Voice, or Four Voice, or Eight Voice) when it left the Oberheim factory in 1975? How would one of *these* SEMs compare with a new TO SEM? And how will a new TO SEM from 2012 sound in nearly forty years from now?

Get Doc Brown's time machine and find out.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Bitexion » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 am

There are some ridiculously cool youtube vids of some guy's original 8-voice..think i've seen them posted here before.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Return to Synth Shootouts