Tempest VS Analog Rytm

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Tempest VS Analog Rytm

Post by corndogssg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:36 pm

well since I just did a shootout for the rhythm wolf vs the volca bass and drums I figured I should do a analog drum shootout of some higher end gear.

so Elektron Analog Rytm VS Dave and Rogers Tempest. Both are about the same price, and both are great analog beat makers. What one's better in your opinion and why....

who will win, Sweden vs USA in the analog drum department................ :?: :oops: :?:
Last edited by corndogssg on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Re: Tempest VS Analog Rytm

Post by natrixgli » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Ahem, Sweden vs USA. The Rytm is Swedish, not German.

Anyway I have both and they're both equally good in totally different ways. To me the Tempest is a little like an A4 and Rytm in one box but minus FX and a bunch of voices. Given it's more flexible voice architecture, you could do more complete work with the Tempest much more easily. The Rytm's voices are specifically crafted for drum sound which makes them more immediate, but less flexible.

The best way to decide besides the sound (which can be great on both) is how you prefer to program beats. If you like to record your sequences live with pads, the Tempest kills it. The sequencer has longer patterns and higher resolution than the Rytm and the pads on the Rytm are good for a laugh. On the other hand if you prefer step / grid style sequencing this is quite a bit better on the Rytm.

For live performance I say it's a toss up with a slight edge to the Tempest. It's easier to switch patterns on the Tempest, and it has beat wide FX, rolls, and reverse. With the Rytm you have scenes and performances but switching pad modes can be a pain. I prefer jamming on the Tempest whereas I prefer coming up with interesting and unexpected things on the Rytm.

Anyway if I had to sell one I'd sell the Rytm for sure. The Tempest just fits me more given drums are my primary instrument. I can get better performances all day long on the Tempest that actually feel like something a drummer would play. In the end that's more useful more often to me than conjuring up weird hi-hat sequences with odd bursts of p'locked reverb here and there. The Rytm is great fun but not essential.

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute

Post by corndogssg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:22 pm

ooops! I had Germany on the mind, been spending a lot of time with the Micro Q last few days with the kiwi patch editor and the sound tower program. Lot's of fun, not so much fun is a Blofeld with a broken resistor giving it a max volume of say a 1 out of 10. Uber Lame :!:

Thanks for the correction. I honestly didn't know Elektron was Swiss made. thanx for your info on this, very good input.

and also, the Tempest is a 6 voice analog poly synth as well right :?:

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 pm

It's not Swiss, it's Swedish. Made in Sweden. Swiss would be Switzerland.

Anyway yes, sounds on the Tempest can be up to 6 voice polyphonic. There are a total of 6 voices so you have to keep that limit in mind. Also the sequencer is designed for percussion so it does not record polyphony.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:07 pm

The Analog Rytm is still relatively new. While it looks cool, I project it may be in for some depreciation as it enters the used market in greater numbers. The Tempest on the other hand has already seen its initial wave of depreciation after being initially released. If you have patience, you may be able to score the RYTM cheaper than it is now... On the other hand, the tempest has a lot going for it. I'm not really a fan of DSI, or Electron, but both seem to have their die hard fans. I guess a lot of it is going to come down to which sounds will seem to fit better with the projects you tend to work on, which means dig into youtube, and see if you can get your hands on one or both. Often with comparisons like this, there's no clear winner, and you have to just follow which one seems more appealing to you at the time, brand loyalty, design, availability, etc
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

corndogssg

Post by corndogssg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 pm

Wow I am getting an F on world geography!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:48 am

The Tempest is aimed to live performers. Is a delight to play it if you like intense physical interaction with your synths.
Controllers are awesome, the pads can't be better, and you can do a lot of deep programming and tweaking with just a single pattern.
Changes to sounds and sequences are instantly stored while being modified, and you can abandon any pattern without losing every single modulation you made. There is no separation between sequence programming and sound design.

Tempest has a very peculiar sound, is like there's something very primitive on it, woody. Controllers can affect single tracks or whole sequences on realtime. Is very easy to compose and design aggresive/groovy stuff, with its own flavor.
I'm addict to it. 2 years using it almost every day.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:17 am

corndogssg wrote:Wow I am getting an F on world geography!
Let me guess, you're American? :D

In my mind this basically comes down to do you want an amazing sampling drum machine or do you want a quirky synth which is able to do drum sounds? Having mixed bands that use both of these I can say the RTYM sounds fantastic straight out of the box, the Tempest takes a bit more work and has a few non-sweet spots. They're both great though, I just think the RYTM is more great.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:45 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:

In my mind this basically comes down to do you want an amazing sampling drum machine or do you want a quirky synth which is able to do drum sounds? Having mixed bands that use both of these I can say the RTYM sounds fantastic straight out of the box, the Tempest takes a bit more work and has a few non-sweet spots. They're both great though, I just think the RYTM is more great.
Many, many Americans Know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. It's Canada we know nothing about. Corndogssg has a learning disability.

corndogssg

Post by corndogssg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:30 pm

I am actually pretty decent with world geography. I was a Risk champion from way back when, and ever since weed's become legal here there has been a pretty heavy flow in my house hold of strong edible's, thc honey sticks and hippie speed ball fudge are great to jam for hours on end, but I will be the first to admit it makes the few brain cells I have argue and get soooo sleepy. It's the Canadian's crossing our border and their Canadian Devil Beellsaboot, making me brainwashed with Trailer Park Boys and Hockey.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:48 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

Many, many Americans Know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. It's Canada we know nothing about. Corndogssg has a learning disability.
That's harmless! I know Swiss mates that have been held back at *ahem* "certain" borders by the patrols because the authorities thought they had faked some Swaziland passports. :lol:

On topic: Japan wins ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:13 am

ninja6485 wrote:Many, many Americans Know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland.
It's funny that you feel that you have to say that. ;)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:04 pm

It was prompted by the earlier posts...

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Swisserland aside...

Both are top notch. Rytm is more of a drum machine with lots of control over each voice while the Tempest is more of a drum synth where each voice is a blank slate. I ended up preferring the straightforwardness of the Rytm.