DSI Pro 2 vs Mono Evolver Keyboard

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

DSI Pro 2 vs Mono Evolver Keyboard

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Haven't come across a specific comparison of these two. Any thoughts? I've always had a love/hate relationship with the DSI stuff with hate always winning in the end, so it might be a moot point. The closest I've gotten to being comfortable would have been with the Poly Evolver, but 4 voices is just not the right number.

Right now you can get ahold of an MEK for about half the price of a Pro2.

Spec-wise, they're definitely different, but kind of share the same hybrid-concept philosophy.

What really needs to happen is that I need both here for a couple of days. But unfortunately life can't work that way.

Not gonna lie, the Pro2 demos just make that thing sound better. It seems a lot drier, and not as hollow sounding. Maybe its the new filter design.

What do you guys think?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: DSI Pro 2 vs Mono Evolver Keyboard

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Just finished watching some of Automatic Gainsays videos on the Pro 2 - ok, so yeah, there's definitely a ton more stuff going with that synth than the MEK. Wow. Also, nice job on those videos Marc!

Ugh, I need another $2000 synthesizer like I need another hole in my head...

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Not entirely related, but man, that Pro 12!
4 Digital OSCs plus a sub per voice, many OSC waves, analog filter (and I think analog VCA and envelopes), and built in BBD!? My kinda gear. Not to mention the "character" (I think?) effects, and the numerous other features.

Pro 2 is awesome too, even though it's monophonic (but has that one filter feature I can't remember), and it's cheaper. I really wish I had the money to buy either, such cool synths. But, the prices are kinda steep, and I need to get me a good crunchy sampler right now anyway.

I'm with you though, great gear. If you have the cash, I say go for it!

I probably won't have one for a while if I get one. Most money spent on a synth in my collection - $500 (on a BS2, around the time they first came out)... haha

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Yeah, I think I'm just GASing at the moment because my two other synths are in the shop....nothing to play but the Rhodes right now!

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:03 am

Oh s**t, that sucks!

corndogssg
Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Post by corndogssg » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:50 am

the evolver, all though is totally bad a*s, was dave smiths 1st keyboard he made on his own,(away from seq-circuits) and the pro 2 is many years down the road where he even admits they made they best keyboard a keyboardist would ever want. so yah its better, and yeah it cost twice as much. But for the money the evolver desktop is where it's at. imho it's better than the tetra or mopho.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I agree with you there, corndog. I had the Mopho keyboard and was totally uninspired by it. The Tetra doesn't really interest me, as I prefer keyboard instruments, but I had the Prophet 08, which was pretty similiar (sans sub oscillators). I had that for while sold it, and bought it two more times before I finally got that I hated it.

I have a feeling the Evolver or the Pro2 wouldn't stick around too long in my room anyways. I love that they're super practical pieces of gear (the whole DSI line, really), but I just don't jive with 'em. Gonna turn my gas towards something else....like the Dominion 1!

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:14 am

I got a Pro2 recently, and find it an entirely different beast from the earlier DSI stuff. I hated the Prophet '08 and I had an Evolver desktop years ago which I never bonded with and sold quickly.

Additionally, I have used the Mopho X4 a LOT because it's a handy live synth, sounds pretty good and does what I need it to do. The oscs are fine and the filter is fine, but not extraordinary.

The Pro2 oscillators however, are top-notch and the filters are great. The second filter, with all its routing capabilities takes the synth to a whole new level.
Monkey business since 2007!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:23 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Yeah, I think I'm just GASing at the moment because my two other synths are in the shop....nothing to play but the Rhodes right now!
Kind of like buying a hotdog while waiting for the burger to finish at the burger shop :lol:

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Bitexion wrote:
tomorrowstops wrote:Yeah, I think I'm just GASing at the moment because my two other synths are in the shop....nothing to play but the Rhodes right now!
Kind of like buying a hotdog while waiting for the burger to finish at the burger shop :lol:
Absolutely!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Any more insight into this comparison? I know quite a few of you have the Pro2, but I hear very little about it, and see very few demos being made!

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:09 am

The umpteen videos AG made for it didn't cover something? :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:28 am

Actually didn't know about those, nice. Thanks.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:21 pm

AG's vids are definitely the way to go if you want to hear the PRO2 at its most basic, rawest sound. Totally talked me out of it!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Well after bearing through AG's long winded (but thorough) videos, I don't feel like it's that amazing either. Aside from the quick recording of knobs on the sequencer, I just don't think it's any better than the MEK. Perhaps I'm just in a strange phase in my synth explorations. The Roland D50 has been my most recent muse.