DSI Pro 2 vs Mono Evolver Keyboard

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: DSI Pro 2 vs Mono Evolver Keyboard

Postby Infinity Curve » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:15 pm

I spent about 20 minutes with it in store; wasn't really blown away by it, but the filters sound WAY better than the Evolver to my ears at least.
Infinity Curve

Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Postby Pro5 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:27 am

I'm liking the filters on the Pro2 and Prophet 12 but I'm not convinced about the oscs, the overall (even if clever) tone of the two synths (moreso the Prophet 12 for some reason) appear too close to VA for me. I think the digital oscs will always show though no matter the quality of filter or how you modulate.

As much as the Prophet 08's filter gets slagged off (and maybe fairly) it's otherwise 'boring DCOs' at least to my ears do make it sound more vibrant, full and analog (as you'd probably expect from it being an analog :lol: )

No doubt they are all great synths of course, but for the price I'd rather a true analog with that character (and the better filter from the Pro2) - paired with a monster pure Digital - Fire and Ice! (SO.. Prophet 6 for me + V-Synth I guess)
Currently using (rating/10): SH2(9.5), JX-3P(9), Prophet 6(9), JD-800(8.5), Crumar Performer(?)
Recently gone:Polysix(8), Prophet Rev2(6.5), Slim Phatty(7), JD-XA(7.5), Sub 37 (7), Juno 106(6.5), DX7 II-D(6), V-Synth(6.5)
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet 6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Well after bearing through AG's long winded (but thorough) videos, I don't feel like it's that amazing either. Aside from the quick recording of knobs on the sequencer, I just don't think it's any better than the MEK. Perhaps I'm just in a strange phase in my synth explorations. The Roland D50 has been my most recent muse.

Its the video where he spends 10 minutes utilizing almost all the modulation routings to kind-of-but-not-really get a basic analog VCO sound, to which I just said - 'whats the point?'

Its a nice board that makes cool synthesizer sounds, but it just doesn't make the type of cool synthesizer sounds I enjoy!

The D50 intrigued me early on in my synth explorations. Too early in fact. I didn't understand how to use it at all and got rid of it. :oops:
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts