Korg Arp Odyssey vs MS20 Mini

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg Arp Odyssey vs MS20 Mini

Postby mdannyg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:44 am

I'm surprised I haven't seen this shootout on here yet, anyone else trying to decide between these two?

I've never played either, or their older counterparts. One thing i'm wondering about is how snappy/fast their envelopes are. I sold my Oberheim SEM partly for that reason.

Another mono i've been considering is a Moog Slim PHatty...
mdannyg

Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Re: Korg Arp Odyssey vs MS20 Mini

Postby tomorrowstops » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Haven't played an Odyssey (new or old), but I have tons of experience on the MS20 (new and old). I also haven't played an SEM, so I can't directly compare anything. In my opinion, the only really sluggish envelope response experience I had was with a stock Prophet 600, which I notice you have in your signature. The most responsive I've played is probably the Juno 6 and any Moog (Old School, Minimoog, MG-1, etc) I've touched.

The MS20 is fairly responsive, but doesn't have great range at each stage, especially the difference between 0 and say, 2.

I hope this is not as confusing as I feel I am making it!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby mdannyg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:05 am

Yeah, I think I got spoiled by the envelope on my Juno 6, which was only the second synth i bought.
mdannyg

Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Postby monolith » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:16 am

mdannyg wrote:Yeah, I think I got spoiled by the envelope on my Juno 6

Me too, which is why I personally found the Ms20's envelopes a little slow. I've got an old 2813 Odyssey and the envelopes aren't quite Juno/sh-2/Minimoog/sh-101 speed, but are definitely faster than the Ms-20 IMO.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tomorrowstops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Kinda what I was thinking, monolith.

The Odyssey is one of the only vintage synths I've yet to put my paws on. Not sure which will happen first - messing with an original or breaking down and just grabbing the new one.

Oh, the problems we have!

mdannyg - outside of the envelope thing - I'd consider owning both just for the sonic differences. The (original) Arp and Korg characters are very different! I'm sure the new stuff follows suit.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby mdannyg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:09 am

i ended up getting a bass station 2 of all things. i've only played it for about 15 minutes so far, but i love it. the envelopes are great, and it seems like everything ive ever wanted in a mono.
mdannyg

Postby staccato » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:25 pm

yeah, I have both MS20 mini, and Korg Odyssey. in my humble, the two have their unique set of attributes. the bass sounds on the mini are much more powerful due to the HPF which the Odyssey does not have. so when you set the resonance up a little on the mini's HPF, (or a lot), the bass is boosted substantially.
staccato

Postby CliftonSantiago » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:30 am

I set out to buy the Korg Odyssey, on the basis of hype, tried it out in the shop and found the programming layout very not intuitive, and the sound pleasingly retro but a little tame and polite. The MS-20 mini however was also in-store and I ended up buying it then and there. It is a wonderfully aggressive synth which sounds surprisingly modern, despite its age. Matter of taste, I suppose.

That said, it's a bit limited feature-wise (despite the patch bay), I may yet get the souped-up MS20 tabletop edition, which adds Osc Sync, PWM, a switchable filter circuit and more modulation possibilities.
CliftonSantiago

Return to Synth Shootouts